St Colmans College team, circa 1955?

Started by Orior, July 11, 2012, 12:00:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Mourne Rover

Leo Murphy is probably second on the left in the back row. Dan McCartan and Patsy O'Hagan would have been at the college around the same time, but it is difficult to pick them out.

Orior

Raymond McSherry back row far right.

PT Treacy (played for Fermanagh), back row, third from the right.

DownFanatic

If the photo was taken possibly before 1955, the following were on the 1949 McRory Cup winning St Colman's team and some may have possibly still been knocking about a few years later. Probably not though.

The team line-out in 1949 was:

Liam McCorry (Clann Eireann, Lurgan)

Patsy McConville (Derrymacash)

Dan McCartan (Banbridge)

Stephen McKay (Burren/Warrenpoint)

Mick O'Hanlon (Cullyhanna)

Tom McPartlan (Derrymacash)

P. J. McElroy (Liatroim Fontenoys)

Seán Blaney (capt.) (Clann Eireann, Lurgan)

Hugh O'Hare (Dromara)

Arthur O'Hanlon (Whitecross)

Kevin Mussen (Clonduff Shamrocks)

Leo McNeill (Annaclone)

T. J. Maguiness (Roscommon Gaels)

turkey+ham

Dan McCartan fourth from left back row. Is that sean O'Neill further across from that? Sixth from left?

Mourne Rover

Sean O'Neill went to the Abbey and the i.d. for Dan McCartan is uncertain

5 Sams

Is that the Deputy First Minister with the ball??? ;) ;) ;) ;)
The Aristocrat Years

ballela-angel

Fintan Mussen is front row - Third from the Left - He's Kevin Mussen's brother and grandfather of Damien Mc Keown who is on the current Down minor panel and scored the final point in their win aginst Monaghan a few weeks ago
That awkward moment - Not sure if you do have free time or if you're just forgetting everything!

Orior

St Colmans, 1956

Back row, Left to Right:

Ian Walsh, Leo Murphy, ? , Dab McCartan, Eugene Conway, Pat O'Hagan, Fr McArdle, PT Treacy (Garrison, Fermanagh), Tony Williamson, Raymond McSherry (Poyntzpass, Armagh)

Fron row, Left to Right:

James McCartan , Liam Watson (Lurgan, Armagh), Fintan Mussen, Dessie Creery (Lurgan, Armagh), Dominic O'Loan (Glenavy, Antrim), Larry McCartan, Tommy Keenan, ?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: 5 Sams on July 11, 2012, 10:53:16 PM
Is that the Deputy First Minister with the ball??? ;) ;) ;) ;)
You left the college by that stage?  ;)

THE MIGHTY QUINN

Looking at that photo made me think. In the not too distant past there were a lot of lads from South Armagh and Lurgan who made it big with St Colman's. Players like Benny Tierney, Neil Smyth, Jarlath Burns, Diarmuid Marsden to name but a few. I'm out of touch now but have there been any recent additions who have made it big or even have the potential to make it big?