2019 Allianz Football League Division 3.

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, September 06, 2018, 12:26:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

High Fielder

Good to win but nothing really learned. Our forwards connected well and Evan was class. His movement and passing had them under pressure all day. On the flip side, it's still too easy for the opposition to get at us quickly.

Our tackling is Under 14 level and our forwards give up when their man goes by. That immediately gives numerical advantage to the attacking team and pushes our full back line back on top of Brody. I have no idea how a team as bad as Sligo could score 2-10 against anyone. And I mean that with all due respect. Just goes to show that we must be doing something wrong. Still nice to get the win though after the shambles of last week. Scully was unlucky. Mistimed at worst. Yellow all day.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Good win today against limited enough opposition but we did what needed to be done and came away with another 2 points. The games against Carlow, Westmeath and especially Longford will tell us where we stand as they will all be tough tests. I'm very happy with the way things are going so far and good to see a sizeable Laois support there today.

At last we have very good options in the forward division and the Kingston/O'Carroll threat is an exciting prospect to look forward too. Cahillane was very quiet today but he is another who I expect a lot from this year. We badly need a solid centre back but Scully could be the man we're looking for in that position. He's strong, fearless and very mobile and might have a big role to play for us this year.

Just saw this on Twitter, it's the form of all the teams in the league from the beginning of last years league up to today and we are right up there on top. The left column is today's result..

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Tony

Slowly but surely, we're working out our lines on the pitch - I now think we're fine in FF and HF line, and also, with Begley, Attride and what looks like a very good proposition in Scully, the HB line is looking good, too. Where we're looking somewhat scarce is midfield and FB line, in my opinion. Jury still out in midfield and what the pairing there will be. Quigley has been a good servant to Laois but at 32/33 and coming back from extensive injuries, it's hard to see him participate at a very high level in a position that is the most intensive on the pitch (i hope I'm wrong). None of our midfielders are very pacey, and that could hurt us against better teams. At this point, because we have options in the HB line, I'd be tempted to put Begley in midfield. He's likely the fittest man on the panel, in my opinion. He's very good on the ball and off, and he has high football IQ. He's quite mobile too and relatively pacey. We'd have plenty options to cover his role on HB line. JOL/Begley midfield would be my choice right now, but, we've lots more games to go before we must choose our absolute best 15, and, in fairness, lots of lads are holding their hand up for a place and the bite and healthy competitiveness seems to be there. Meaney did well enough against Sligo and deserves more chances definitely. Kieran Lillis has done little wrong in the last year though, he deserves another shot but for me, not midfield. Lot's of options all over the park, we're really still figuring everything out.

les Antiques

Agreed , we need someone athletic bedside JOL at midfield . I'd nearly swap Lillis and Begley. Meaney and Quigley are not the answer both could do a job for the last 20 mins which wouldn't be a bad alternative.  Maybe Danny OReilly is worth a shot again at centre field ?!
Yesterday went as expected . Tactically in training  I'm sure we are working on teams coming directly through the middle at us . We seem to be sticking to a game plan in defence and it's currently exposing us .
Good options up front which will keep everyone on there toes .
Sunday week in Mulligar will be interesting .

Unlaoised

If Heaslin is fit we will struggle in my opinion.

This is the hardest game of the lot .

Horrible ground horrible pitch and not much success at any level up there in recent years .

Any sort of win would be massive.

Hope for a similiar teammate lills instead of scully ?

Like to see Lowry get more 'time and space as John says
LAOIS ABÚ

Don Draper

les Antiques

Quote from: Unlaoised on February 11, 2019, 10:36:24 PM
If Heaslin is fit we will struggle in my opinion.

This is the hardest game of the lot .

Horrible ground horrible pitch and not much success at any level up there in recent years .

Any sort of win would be massive.

Hope for a similiar teammate lills instead of scully ?

Like to see Lowry get more 'time and space as John says

Agree with it been a horrible venue etc results wise and othewise but how is Heslin  suddenly going to become fit?  He's back training less than an month , he's the least of our worries.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Laois senior football team named for away trip to Westmeath

https://www.laoistoday.ie/2019/02/22/laois-senior-football-team-named-for-away-trip-to-westmeath/

Graham Brody
    David Seale, Denis Booth, Gareth Dillon
  Marty Scully, Stephen Attride, Colm Begley

John O'Loughlin, Kevin Meaney

Damien O'Connor, Donie Kingston, Conor Boyle
   Paul Cahillane, Evan O'Carroll, Mark Barry

Countyminor

That team is well seasoned anyways. Looks like it's straight out of 2014 with the exception of Barry

High Fielder

Plenty of wastefulness here. Ball into the forwards has been terrible at times. Some of it Hail Mary stuff. Support play is not all it could be either. Too stand offish. Too zonal. Scully not afraid to bring it in but not many joining him. A winnable game but we need to up the tempo and be sharper

High Fielder

Based on the overall display, I don't think we're properly at it just now. Someone said above that staying in Division 3 is enough, and I'd say looking at the way we played that going up is not a priority. We looked experimental, off the pace and lacking hunger. They looked fitter and hungrier in contrast, but still limited enough. The better team won on the day in fairness. Scully to my eye is more wing forward than wing back, but that's ok as there'd still be room for him in my opinion.

The problem with playing Evan and Donie on the one team is that they're arguably both at their best at full forward. Maybe we should play them together up there and allow ourselves the luxury of having a roving player; preferably someone who can sit in front of the midfield and pass consistently well. That said, Cahillane did well today, but getting the mix right is an issue. Our issues at the back are obvious enough. We lost shape when Seale went off, and we have to be honest and say that often we are putting square pegs into round holes. The need to develop players properly in key positions is something that should be on our mind for the long term future.

As for today, I would say nothing to panic about. It looks like Sugrue has not turned up the heat just yet.

Giovanni

Very poor today against a fairly limited Westmeath team.

Too many lads didn't show up today. I have to say that Donie might look back on his football career and wonder what might have been possible if he actually put the effort into getting fit. At one stage today he started 2 yards ahead of his man and finished 2 yards behind in a 15 yard sprint. He's obviously hugely gifted but talent will only get you so far at this level. If he could get himself in the same physical condition as Evan, for example, you'd have a completely different player in my opinion.

However, just as it wasn't all about Donie in Down, it wasn't all about him today either. The whole half forward line just don't seem dynamic enough and it leaves too many open spaces for opponents. This has been a constant issue since the beginning of the league.

Would also much prefer Lillis in centerfield. There were far too many balls kicked away aimlessly giving the forwards little or no chance. I felt sorry for Barry today - he didn't have a great game but he was left completely isolated a lot of the time. He'll have better days I'm sure.

Thought Denis Booth was having a bad day too and I thought we could have tried alternatives to pick up Heslin - Shane Nerney hasn't done much wrong and even Dillon might have worked better despite the height disadvantage. Even Meaney has some experience back there that might have been worth trying. In any case, I thought it was odd that no change was made there at all.

A huge amount of work to do.

On the positive side, I thought Scully and Begley were superb on the half back line, driving Laois forward time and again.