Man Marker

Quote from: OakleafCounty on March 23, 2017, 01:59:32 PM
Quote from: Man Marker on March 23, 2017, 01:57:42 PM
Quote from: OakleafCounty on March 23, 2017, 01:50:18 PM
Quote from: Man Marker on March 23, 2017, 01:30:09 PM
Quote from: OakleafCounty on March 23, 2017, 01:17:12 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on March 23, 2017, 12:39:49 PM
Quote from: OakleafCounty on March 23, 2017, 11:40:01 AM
Although violence was inevitable I think it's been proven that it was never really necessary.

Necessary for what?

And violence by whom?

It wasn't necessary in achieving equality for Catholics and I don't think it was effective in protecting communities either on both sides and didn't stop innocent civilians getting killed in crossfire. It just turned into tit for tat killings some of which were extremely sinister. Obviously it didn't achieve a United Ireland either.

It was good for keeping drugs off the streets and policing very deprived communities but that's about it for me.

so you believe that Unionists would have started to share power with their catholic neighbours out of good will. lol

Well my view is that the British were brought to the peace table as a result of the war and particularly the attacks that were being specifically targeted in England, which were becoming more regular towards the latter end of the troubles.

Power sharing didn't come until armed struggle ended. 30 years after it started! None of us can be 100% certain but I think it would have taken less than 30 years without violence.

Equality in terms of housing and jobs (public sector at least) came in the first half of the conflict but by then it was too late. And that equality was thanks in a large part to the first generation of educated Catholics and not the ra.

So you do believe that Unionists would have started to share power with their catholic neighbours out of the goodness of their hearts. lol

Do you think they started sharing power out of fear? lol

there is no evidence prior to the start of the troubles that Unionist would share power, in fact the evidence is overwhelmingly to maintain the status quo of serial discrimination

haranguerer

Quote from: trileacman on March 23, 2017, 02:18:51 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on March 23, 2017, 02:12:13 PM

;D You're an idiot, and a naive one at that

No he's not it's yourself who's deluded.

About what? In what respect? Put forward an argument that you feel demonstrates my delusion, and I'll give it due consideration.

Noone can predict the future, but the best way to judge future behaviour is by past behaviour - this is accepted in every walk of life. So explain why nationalists would have been treated like equals given the history of the state, not to mention the brutal reactions to their modest attempts to raise their issues.

JohnDenver

The Trap

So far the funeral has been so dignified. Lets hope Adams doesn't ruin it at the graveside!

armaghniac

It is a notable thing to have an ex US President give the talk at your funeral, not the usual thing.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

gallsman

Quote from: The Trap on March 23, 2017, 02:51:03 PM
So far the funeral has been so dignified. Lets hope Adams doesn't ruin it at the graveside!

Both Protestant clergymen and Clinton have spoken very well. No doubt Allister or his like will try to have a go but nobody important will be paying him any attention.

Hardy

Fuzzman

I wonder will Arlene go to the grave

gallsman

Quote from: Hardy on March 23, 2017, 03:59:48 PM
Great speech by Clinton.

Masterful - reflective, honest, celebratory, funny, considerate, sensitive, tactful. All of the above and he got in a not so subtle reminder that there's work still to be done. Whatever people's thoughts on him over the years, Clinton has been a great friend of Ireland.

armaghniac

Quote from: gallsman on March 23, 2017, 04:08:20 PM
Quote from: Hardy on March 23, 2017, 03:59:48 PM
Great speech by Clinton.

Masterful - reflective, honest, celebratory, funny, considerate, sensitive, tactful. All of the above and he got in a not so subtle reminder that there's work still to be done. Whatever people's thoughts on him over the years, Clinton has been a great friend of Ireland.

Clinton is a formidable operator and he contributed hugely to events in this country.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Fuzzman

Yeah was an amazing speech by Bill but you would imagine Arlene will not be at all impressed at how he's been portrayed as some sort of a hero and the main reason why peace was achieved.

I laughed when he congratulated Enda on his jibe at Trump too.

93-DY-SAM

Bill Clinton showing everything that is wrong with Donald Trump in his actions and words.

I've been following the events of the funeral and really regret not going over to Derry to be there. I can honestly say my heart is heavy today and I'm still in disbelieve he is gone. There has been a lot of talk on this thread about Martin and his past and why he did what he did etc....but that is not for today. There is plenty of time to dissect that over the coming weeks and months.

Martin was a rare gem of a politician who had the ordinary touch. He will be sorely missed on this wee island.

Rest in Peace Martin.

sid waddell

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on March 23, 2017, 04:44:10 PM
Bill Clinton showing everything that is wrong with Donald Trump in his actions and words.

Bill Clinton showed right there how words matter.

gallsman

Read on Boards that RTE News Now will go back for Adams' graveside oration. Anyone able to confirm?

leenie

Yes they are, coming up on side of news they will return back when coffin arrives
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..