Casement upgrade proposed by GAA

Started by never kickt a ball, March 27, 2009, 04:46:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The GAA

Quote from: cornafean on April 07, 2009, 12:49:39 PM
There is bucketloads of onstreet parking around Casement - more in fact than around Clones.

That won't get you planning permssion.

Maguire01

Quote from: cornafean on April 07, 2009, 12:49:39 PM
Quote from: The GAA on April 07, 2009, 12:33:29 PM

modern stadiums will be required to plan adequately for parking for a full capacity before they have a hope of getting planning permission. you cannot write on the planning application "i'll be able to park at me uncle frankie's and there's room for 2 more punters on his drive".

There is bucketloads of onstreet parking around Casement - more in fact than around Clones.
Well obviously - it is in a city after all. But it doesn't have the same amount of open spaces (such as fields).

Lazer

I'm in favour of a casement upgrade,

Ok i'm biased, down supporter now living in Belfast.
The upgrade of Casement and the playing of more matches in it would attract more supporters - for a start there is a lot of students and ex students who moved to Belfast and have just stopped going to matches - having the matches in Belfast might just get them back again!

And Croke Park is a disaster to drive too - over 2 hours from the the end of the motorway to the car park at times! - Could casement really be anyworse?

We don't need a big stadium at all just a good redeveloped one with good facilites etc
Down for Sam 2017 (Have already written of 2016!)

Maguire01

Quote from: tyrone86 on April 07, 2009, 12:05:33 PM
Quote from: Donagh on April 07, 2009, 12:04:30 PM
The Stoops are proposing today that a new stadium should be built behind the Europa bus station.

Aren't they a week late with that one?
Not at all. No decision has been taken yet and i doubt there will be any decision in a rush.

There's also no guarantee that the British Government will allow the funds originally ringfenced for a 'shared' project, to be allocated out to the three sporting bodies. If it's a case of finding another way of using the money or losing it, we might as well at least consider other avenues - as long as we don't spend another £XXmillion considering them.

Maguire01

Quote from: saffron sam2 on April 07, 2009, 12:14:38 PM
It has never taken me longer than 50 minutes to get from my in-laws house just outside Newry to Casement or back regardless of the size of the crowd. It's simply about knowing alternative routes.
Regardless of the size of the crowd? What sizes have these crowds been? Seriously, give a few examples of 'big crowd' matches that have happened at Casement. There's no point in comparing getting out of Casement with 10,000 punters to getting out of Clones with 36,000.

I've never been at a match at Casement that has had any more than about 15,000 attendance. I can't recall seeing any with an attendance around the 25,000 mark. And you'd be doubling that for this new stadium.

tyrone86

Quote from: Maguire01 on April 07, 2009, 01:17:26 PM
Quote from: tyrone86 on April 07, 2009, 12:05:33 PM
Quote from: Donagh on April 07, 2009, 12:04:30 PM
The Stoops are proposing today that a new stadium should be built behind the Europa bus station.

Aren't they a week late with that one?
Not at all. No decision has been taken yet and i doubt there will be any decision in a rush.

There's also no guarantee that the British Government will allow the funds originally ringfenced for a 'shared' project, to be allocated out to the three sporting bodies. If it's a case of finding another way of using the money or losing it, we might as well at least consider other avenues - as long as we don't spend another £XXmillion considering them.

I meant, isn't it a week late for 1st April.

Isn't the back of the Europa bus station in heart of the Sandy Row?

DuffleKing

The planning requirements in terms of parking will be a huge consideration for any prospective new stadium. In global terms this can frequently be the biggest hurdle for urban sites. citing existing grounds and their parking quirkes is missing the reality that these were not subject to anything approaching modern planning regulations when they were established.

armaghniac

Quotecan't recall seeing any with an attendance around the 25,000 mark. And you'd be doubling that for this new stadium.

Armagh v Derry 2005 had 27,633 in attendance. On that day access was easier as most Derry people were coming from the opposite side of town to Armagh people. This game was an advertisement for Casement as there was probably a decent neutral crowd from around Belfast.

Re planning, you might be in problems if planning to increase capacity to 40,000, however if you are just doing up the place within its existing capacity then you do not have a problem. Moving to new site would open all sorts of planning problems however. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

rrhf

Every week someone new pops up and claims they have a patch for a new sports stadium.  This argument is becoming nuts.  My favoured option is to bulldose everything around Windsor park, put up 4 stands and roll the pitch, stick the wee flag up, and make it Parc Windsor 

ziggysego

IFA crisis holds up stadium cash for rugby and GAA

Funding for improvements at Belfast's main rugby and GAA grounds has been held up by the ongoing power struggle at the Irish Football Association.

The Executive at the NI Assembly has earmarked £110m for the upgrading of football's Windsor Park, GAA's Casement Park and the rugby venue at Ravenhill.

But sports minister Nelson McCausland said no money would be paid until he was satisfied with how the IFA was run.

The funding for all three sports was locked into one overall package.

McCausland had previously made it clear that the IFA would not get any public money for improving Windsor while president Raymond Kennedy and vice-president David
Martin remained in office.

The pair were heavily criticised in an independent report into the sacking of chief executive Howard Wells in 2008.

Wells sued for unfair dismissal and the case cost the Irish FA over £500,000, which included a payout to the former chief executive and legal costs.

On Monday four members, including Kennedy and Martin, resigned from the IFA's Executive Board, making it unable to make decisions.

An independent review is to take place into the running of the football association.

Minister McCausland told the BBC it was vital the Irish FA completed the review urgently.

"We were tasked with bringing forward a package of stadium developments," he said.

"How the money is spent on the three sports - each of them has an impact on the others.

"We have to be certain about the actual cost per stadium.

"It is absolutely essential that the IFA are in the right shape to take this forward.

"There is a great deal of urgency about the work that has to be done by the IFA."

BBCi: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8948064.stm

There's also a video interview by Mark Sidebottom with the wee daftie on this page.
Testing Accessibility

ziggysego

A longer interiew with Nelson McCausland, the wee daftie from da big hoose on da heel.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-11100385
Testing Accessibility