28 April, Sunday
Meath v. Laois

5 May, Sunday
Kerry v. Laois

19 May, Sunday
Laois v. Down

26 May, Sunday
Westmeath v. Laois

The GAA website didn't have any fixtures listed, yet. I got these off the RTÉ website (no times or venues listed, yet).
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

redsetanta

Really need to be beating Offaly at home. Wouldn't fancy going to Westmeath needing the win to get to the final.

The extra game against Carlow is welcome and there should be an air of optimism heading into the the Offaly game.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Laois Rising

Last year the team had a number of injuries or players just coming back from injury when we played Offaly in the opening round of the Joe McDonagh. We were also coming off the back of a poor league campaign. This year the team look to be in a far healthier place for the start of this year's championship and I really hope they will be carrying a feel good factor into the game with a victory over Carlow. It really looks like a three horse race between ourselves, Westmeath and Offaly for the Joe McDonagh. The last two performances in the league have been very encouraging- this Laois team might be peaking at the right time this year. Offaly have stepped up from last year as well. Should be a right competitive encounter when the two sides meet.   

G@@

One week to go until the hurlers kick off their 2024 campaign against Offaly. We really need to lay down a marker here and win this to have any strong hopes of making the JMD Final.

On another note, how long is the JMD competition running now? Since 2018? Still no competition sponsors. Shame on the GAA top brass.
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

Joeythelips

Quote from: redsetanta on March 25, 2024, 04:33:17 PMReally need to be beating Offaly at home. Wouldn't fancy going to Westmeath needing the win to get to the final.

The extra game against Carlow is welcome and there should be an air of optimism heading into the the Offaly game.

I would have thought Offaly will be hot favourites to beat us based on the league where they played Waterford, Wexford, Clare, Kilkenny & Cork. Apart from the Cork game Offaly were reasonably competitive against top tier opponents including both finalists Kilkenny and Clare. All the while Laois play the likes of Carlow, Kildare & Meath.

If you were a betting man you would have to go for Offaly all day long.

mcwregor

Huge game for this group of players. Probably our best panel for many years. Offaly are c**k of the walk at the minute with all these superstars coming. I think our lads will wire into them, they have turned a corner since the league game with Carlow. Lose and we are in trouble, win and we have a real chance of getting to a final and can dream of the glory days of 2019 again. Wouldnt that be fantastic.
We need a big laois crowd on Sunday and the clubs need to drum up a big following. Its the least the players deserve for their efforts.

Laois man

We are we capable of beating offaly

Laois Rising

Quote from: mcwregor on April 17, 2024, 03:31:10 PMHuge game for this group of players. Probably our best panel for many years. Offaly are c**k of the walk at the minute with all these superstars coming. I think our lads will wire into them, they have turned a corner since the league game with Carlow. Lose and we are in trouble, win and we have a real chance of getting to a final and can dream of the glory days of 2019 again. Wouldnt that be fantastic.
We need a big laois crowd on Sunday and the clubs need to drum up a big following. Its the least the players deserve for their efforts.

Well said. The league final performance was one of the best Laois performances in years. Hopefully they can find another gear this weekend and having a good support at the game will surely help.

Zooming around

No Willie Dunphy, Ross or Picky in the starting 15. Big calls.

County Man

This is the 7th edition of the Joe McDonagh Cup having been launched back in 2018. Every year it has delivered as a very competitive competition and I'm sure this year will be no different.

Certain Munster hurling "snobs" try to belittle the Leinster hurling championship  let alone the Joe McDonagh. There needs to be more coverage and promotion of the smaller teams as the "big fish" get enough coverage as it is. Thankfully the link with the Liam McCarthy Cup remains despite an attempt last year to remove that link. Who can forget the famous day we beat Dublin in 2019 and got to contest and All Ireland quater final against eventual champions Tipperary.

As for this year, a massive game awaits today. Best of luck to Willie Maher and his men for this campaign. The ambition obviously has to be an appearance in the Joe McDonagh final on June 8th and see what we can achieve from there.

G@@

"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

Verbal

Really strong bench.
That's what we need.
Rare we have it!

Have a good feeling about this one.

G@@

For @Mossy Bruce over on the west coast USA, you can watch the match live on clubber.tv for €12 / $13. They also have an annual pass for €149 which is great value as alot of club matches are shown also.

Verbal

With the greatest of respect - f**k them!

Delighted with the win!
Even more delighted with how we won!

G@@

Oh that was one sweet win. Tom Cuddy hurled some game. Paddy Purcell deserves the freedom of Laois. Rowland was immense. Dooley came good in the second half as did Shanahan. A brilliant start to championship hurling 2024. Kerry beating Westmeath opens up the group. We should beat Meath and Down so we'd just need a win over either Westmeath or Kerry to make the final now.