Laois u21 hurlers 2016

Started by TheGreatGame, May 23, 2016, 10:06:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetanta

Good posts lads but you'd swear there were no decent hurlers in Laois. We do have some very good hurlers and the 15 last night were good enough skillwise to beat Carlow. What's needed is emphasis on teamwork and headwork.
The attitude has to change that we are good enough. The one thing about Cheddar is that he's always telling his teams they are good enough and is forever trying to drill that home. We need to have lads consistantly showing the desire and will to win instead of the odd time.
Regarding the skills of the game the one place where I feel we fall down particularly at senior level is primary possession. There's very few aside from Willie Hyland who can take a ball from the sky. Watch Clare v Waterford next week and count how many times it's done by players all over the pitch. It's almost a rarity with Laois!
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Ogie

There was a 'Player Pathway' launched about two months ago for bringing players from U6 upwards, a good booklet, but it didn't get much publicity or uptake,
What Clubs will implement it?
Again all good points above, it's my opinion that each club & county should have a plan/programme designed by Croke Park/Leinster council/Lester Ryan/Peter Casey/ Paudie Butler & the likes that no matter who is appointed over underage teams this A,B,C or XYZ must be followed and then assessed,
Then the proud daddies and inexperienced mammies or daddies have an exact and correct programme to follow
And I agree wholeheartedly with the line above that we are always making f***** excuses, at club & county level, everything else seems to come first

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Ogie on May 26, 2016, 06:01:31 PM
There was a 'Player Pathway' launched about two months ago for bringing players from U6 upwards, a good booklet, but it didn't get much publicity or uptake,
Again all good points above, it's my opinion that each club & county should have a plan/programme designed by Croke Park/Leinster council/Lester Ryan/Peter Casey/ Paudie Butler & the likes that no matter who is appointed over underage teams this A,B,C or XYZ must be followed and then assessed,
Then the proud daddies and inexperienced mammies or daddies have an exact and correct programme to follow
And I agree wholeheartedly with the line above that we are always making f***** excuses, at club & county level, everything else seems to come first
Where's that player pathway available online?

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on May 26, 2016, 06:26:10 PM

You can buy it here...
http://www.dublingaagamesdevelopment.ie/dgaa-shop/3487
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Keyser Söze

Wasn't at the game but a couple of points;

1) There is no way Carlow could have been that strong considering the state their Senior panel has been in the last few weeks.
2) I don't believe the management team were adequate. Have neither the experience or management skills to operate at this level.
3) People should stop going crazy with the "nothing is working" line every time we suffer a set back.
4) The appointment of minor & U21 managers needs to be looked at seriously. It's turning into a joke. Last man to withdraw gets it almost.
5) Somebody suggested that Joe Campion wasn't playing because an U21 club game wasn't changed last Sept/Oct. He is more than entitled not to put himself forward to play for Laois, but if that is the actual reason he isn't playing, it's farcical.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Gmac

What have laois done in hurling lately to think that we should beat Carlow or be outraged that we didn't ?

Keyser Söze

Quote from: Gmac on May 26, 2016, 11:44:08 PM
What have laois done in hurling lately to think that we should beat Carlow or be outraged that we didn't ?

That is silly, Laois have been ahead of Carlow at Minor, U21 & Senior for probably 28 of the last 30 years.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Gmac

Quote from: Keyser Söze on May 26, 2016, 11:47:23 PM
Quote from: Gmac on May 26, 2016, 11:44:08 PM

That is silly, Laois have been ahead of Carlow at Minor, U21 & Senior for probably 28 of the last 30 years.
we have been but they lost to Carlow last year too so are Carlow better at this grade or did laois under estimate them or are Carlow better?it's the same thing with the footballers losing to division 4 teams in the championship one year and then lads come on here and say we should get to the all Ireland 1/4 finals the next year . Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results . Time for Laois to go and hire a full time person to run the gaa in the county from top to bottom . Fundraise to pay for it or stay where we are going nowhere

Target Man

Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on May 26, 2016, 08:50:01 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on May 26, 2016, 06:26:10 PM

You can buy it here...
http://www.dublingaagamesdevelopment.ie/dgaa-shop/3487
That's not the Laois one. Laois one not available online, hard copies only

LOVEGAA

Quote from: redsetanta on May 26, 2016, 05:36:11 PM
Good posts lads but you'd swear there were no decent hurlers in Laois. We do have some very good hurlers and the 15 last night were good enough skillwise to beat Carlow. What's needed is emphasis on teamwork and headwork.
The attitude has to change that we are good enough. The one thing about Cheddar is that he's always telling his teams they are good enough and is forever trying to drill that home. We need to have lads consistantly showing the desire and will to win instead of the odd time.
Regarding the skills of the game the one place where I feel we fall down particularly at senior level is primary possession. There's very few aside from Willie Hyland who can take a ball from the sky. Watch Clare v Waterford next week and count how many times it's done by players all over the pitch. It's almost a rarity with Laois!

To be fair I dont think anyone here is saying we have bad hurlers, and I agree with you about teamwork and headwork.

Its like we have been knocked so much that any little win or improvement is considered wonderful when in fact we should be aiming a lot higher and have the belief that we can do it 
We have the hurlers but I firmly believe that the coaching is our biggest problem

Take all the props off the field and get back to working with the hurl and ball

burdizzo

Who are the props?! Leix are noticeably smaller than a lot of inter-county teams. I think you need a bit of size and physicality just to execute the skills under pressure. A team of skilful midgets won't win you much - though I do acknowledge there's always room for one or two...

LOVEGAA

Quote from: burdizzo on May 27, 2016, 10:21:09 AM
Who are the props?! Leix are noticeably smaller than a lot of inter-county teams. I think you need a bit of size and physicality just to execute the skills under pressure. A team of skilful midgets won't win you much - though I do acknowledge there's always room for one or two...

Not who ..What

I was watching the seniors training in Ballinakill one morning and I swear the amount of gear being brought out was laughable.
Ladders, cones, tackle bags,  waistcoats with weights inserted :-\

I would agree that we have an issue with size but to be fair I think its more than size is the problem

DJ Carey wasnt exactly a giant

TheGreatGame

Quote from: Keyser Söze on May 26, 2016, 11:15:00 PM
Wasn't at the game but a couple of points;

1) There is no way Carlow could have been that strong considering the state their Senior panel has been in the last few weeks.
2) I don't believe the management team were adequate. Have neither the experience or management skills to operate at this level.
3) People should stop going crazy with the "nothing is working" line every time we suffer a set back.
4) The appointment of minor & U21 managers needs to be looked at seriously. It's turning into a joke. Last man to withdraw gets it almost.
5) Somebody suggested that Joe Campion wasn't playing because an U21 club game wasn't changed last Sept/Oct. He is more than entitled not to put himself forward to play for Laois, but if that is the actual reason he isn't playing, it's farcical.

Agree with a lot of that.  But reading over the last few pages Carlow are probably not getting the credit they deserve.  I don't believe any county left in the Leinster u21 will have a better hurler than James Doyle bar maybe Conor Mac of Wexford.  He was outstanding Wednesday night, and Carlow had plenty of other good hurlers too.  I firmly believe we did have the better team and our underage structures, whatever flaws they may have, produced a group of hurlers that were plenty good enough to win.  That's why it's so frustrating.  When our seniors were a total shambles a few years back and got hammered by Dublin we went out three days later and beat their u21's.  W'meaths win over Kk also shows there are no soft games in this grade, and a team must perform to get a win.

The management team put in a lot of work here, but a player was left on for ~ 45 mins when he should have been gone after probably 15.  Anyone can have a bad day, but this cost us big time.

Redsetanta mentioned playing as a team, underage structures aren't responsible for a player not off loading a pass to a player through on goal.  That's just selfish play, and it cost us big time again.

Mountains should have been moved to get Joe Campion on board.  People don't want to hear excuses but we would have won that game if we had Joe, simple as.  After the effort he has put in over the last 5 and more years with Laois I can understand his point of view, but there was no winner in this scenario except for Carlow.

As I said in my last post, the positive I took from the game is the likes of Ryan Mullaney, Mark Kav and John Lennon are coming on in leaps and bounds, but that is scant consolation when a Leinster final opportunity is gone up in smoke.

blueandwhite1

Quote from: TheGreatGame on May 27, 2016, 10:53:42 AM

Redsetanta mentioned playing as a team, underage structures aren't responsible for a player not off loading a pass to a player through on goal.  That's just selfish play, and it cost us big time again.

Not to be overly pedantic but it could be argued that coaching actually has a big role in developing instinctive decision making and teamwork.

I don't think anyone here is being disrespectful to Carlow. They beat us fair and square and had some lovely hurlers. The frustration is that we are not improving relative to other counties. We are not moving up the food chain. I believe we are moving forward but so is everyone else and it is frustrating that we are not boxing clever and getting ahead of the competition.

redsetanta

The fact that Carlow beat us last year in O'Moore Park tells you that Carlow couldn't be taken lightly however given how the minor team did 3 years ago and knowing the threat Carlow posed it was doubly frustrating to lose. Also, it's a game that we had enough chances to win. Since that win over Dublin in 2012 that The GG mentioned we have not won a game in this competition. Beaten by Offaly in 13, Dublin in 2014 and Carlow last year.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi