The Wire (tv drama)

Started by Main Street, October 18, 2008, 12:35:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

I downloaded the first series of The Wire.
I watched the first part of thirteen.
It looks interesting, is it worth getting hooked on it?  (I don't mean the smack)

I have just finished watching 13 parts of "Damages" and was left totally underwhelmed with the way the thing panned out in the end.

Donagh

Quote from: Main Street on October 18, 2008, 12:35:06 AM
It looks interesting, is it worth getting hooked on it?  (I don't mean the smack)

I have just finished watching 13 parts of "Damages" and was left totally underwhelmed with the way the thing panned out in the end.

Watched the last episode of the last series the other week on TG4. It's the only series I've made a point of watching every episode from the start and well worth it. Seasons 2 and 3 dip a little in pace mid way but 4 and 5 are superb. Well worth sticking with.

OnTheLine

Quote from: Donagh on October 18, 2008, 12:40:52 AM
Quote from: Main Street on October 18, 2008, 12:35:06 AM

Watched the last episode of the last series the other week on TG4. It's the only series I've made a point of watching every episode from the start and well worth it. Seasons 2 and 3 dip a little in pace mid way but 4 and 5 are superb. Well worth sticking with.

Totally agree... I have all the series on dvd and it's one of the best tv shows I've seen. The characters are superb (mcnulty, bunk, stringer, marlo, omar, bubbles... the list goes on..) and the complex plotlines really repay the concentration you'll find yourself willingly giving.

Scary portrayal of the drugs trade and its participants if even half of it was true to life...

Main Street

I did 3 in a row last night and it's playing along nicely.
It leaves all other such tv dramas in the shade.

It's the best drama I have seen on crime since Donnie Brasco.

It's nice to know there are another 4 or 5 series  just as good.

Stalin

For me, the Wire is streets ahead of any other show, including The Sopranos.
A single death is a tragedy; a million deaths is a statistic

Minder

Quote from: Stalin on October 18, 2008, 02:05:05 PM
For me the Sopranos is streets ahead of any other show,including the Wire
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Stalin

Quote from: Minder on October 18, 2008, 02:20:56 PM

For me, the Wire is streets ahead of any other show, inlcuding The Sopranos.
A single death is a tragedy; a million deaths is a statistic

J70

Quote from: Minder on October 18, 2008, 02:20:56 PM

While excellent, neither is a patch on Deadwood, for me.

There is huge hype in the states over Mad Men, a drama based on advertising and set in the 60s and all of the changes of the era that came out last year. It is very common to hear it rated as the best series ever, and it cleaned up at the  Emmys and Golden Globes this year. Haven't had a chance to watch it yet myself. Anyone showing it in Ireland or Britain yet?

glens73

I've seen Mad Men, it was on the bbc earlier this year, it's good, but not great.

I've not seen The Wire, but for me the best US drama I've seen is The Shield

Minder

The BBC are showing the entire show, 60 episodes, over a week starting on March 30th.

Dinny Breen

Best TV show ever fact!!!!

Sheeeeeeeeeeet!!!!!!
#newbridgeornowhere

Lecale2

Quote from: Minder on March 18, 2009, 11:25:13 AM
The BBC are showing the entire show, 60 episodes, over a week starting on March 30th.

Really? What time is it on?

Minder

Quote from: Lecale2 on March 18, 2009, 12:21:07 PM

Not sure what BBC station Lecale but i will say it will be on most of the day for a week if they are going to show 60 episodes in a week

thewobbler

The Wire is absolutely brilliant TV. It's a slow burner, and is rather confusing at the start due to the sheer number of characters introduced. Once you get past the first 5-6 episodes though it's riveting. Series 3 and 4 in particular provide some of the most immersive TV I've ever seen. The supporting characters are absolutely brilliant; Omar, Bubbles, Bunk, Gus, Freamon, Snoop, Chris, Bunny - each get time to develop a personality.

Lecale2

Quote from: Minder on March 18, 2009, 12:53:22 PM
Quote from: Lecale2 on March 18, 2009, 12:21:07 PM

Not sure what BBC station Lecale but i will say it will be on most of the day for a week if they are going to show 60 episodes in a week

I'd better book the week off.