Atlantic - documentary

Started by magpie seanie, December 09, 2016, 12:28:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Finally got to watch this excellent documentary in its entirety last night on RTE1 last night (if you haven't seen it, do yourself a favour and watch it on the RTE player). Despite the fact that not a lot of the content relating to Ireland was new to me I was still tremendously angry after watching it and still am. Frankly anyone who thinks there's a justification for voting for FF or FG needs to watch this. Similarly, fans of the three card trick that is the EU need to think about this when evaluating "all the good" membership of that cabal has done us.

I hope people like AZ can understand why I'm so angry at our country and what a f*cked up mess it is. I deeply love our country and the greatness we should be reaching for. That's why I can't stand for the shittiness that we have to make do with and swallow all the time.

The bottom line is this - not only do FF and FG (and Labour since the 80's) not care about ordinary people, they actually despise us. I truly believe that. Yes, there are some lower level politicians who are "well intentioned"  ::) idiot sheep but I'm not giving them a pass for being stupid. Look what's happening all around us. People say "what's the alternative" which saddens me. That's a conditioned groupthink response, the one fed to us by O'Reilly and to a lesser extent the state broadcaster (I can't believe they were allowed show this documentary last night). Failing and repeating the same process is the definition of stupidity.

PW Nally

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 09, 2016, 12:28:05 PM
Finally got to watch this excellent documentary in its entirety last night on RTE1 last night (if you haven't seen it, do yourself a favour and watch it on the RTE player). Despite the fact that not a lot of the content relating to Ireland was new to me I was still tremendously angry after watching it and still am. Frankly anyone who thinks there's a justification for voting for FF or FG needs to watch this. Similarly, fans of the three card trick that is the EU need to think about this when evaluating "all the good" membership of that cabal has done us.

I hope people like AZ can understand why I'm so angry at our country and what a f*cked up mess it is. I deeply love our country and the greatness we should be reaching for. That's why I can't stand for the shittiness that we have to make do with and swallow all the time.

The bottom line is this - not only do FF and FG (and Labour since the 80's) not care about ordinary people, they actually despise us. I truly believe that. Yes, there are some lower level politicians who are "well intentioned"  ::) idiot sheep but I'm not giving them a pass for being stupid. Look what's happening all around us. People say "what's the alternative" which saddens me. That's a conditioned groupthink response, the one fed to us by O'Reilly and to a lesser extent the state broadcaster (I can't believe they were allowed show this documentary last night). Failing and repeating the same process is the definition of stupidity.

The Arranmore fisherman brought to court for potentially catching wild salmon as the Lithuanian registered Dutch super trawler dumps 4,000 tonnes (four thousand tonnes) of small fish was depressing to watch. He almost admitting the futility of his and his community's lot.

bennydorano

Must get a look at it.

Is Ireland falling out of love with the EU??

BennyCake

Quote from: bennydorano on December 09, 2016, 12:55:15 PM
Must get a look at it.

Two forced referendum replays in 20 years suggests yes.

Would Brexit impact be as bad for the South if they told the EU to get stuffed too? Isn't it the obvious solution? Their biggest exports are to Britain, so get the feck out of the Nazi Club.

macdanger2

Watched it last night, great documentary although very depressing. Interesting to note that after tax write offs, etc., the corrib gas will return almost nothing to the exchequer directly. You can somewhat understand giving away the fishing rights, perhaps the value wasn't fully understood and they were at least getting something in return. Nothing of the sort with exploration rights.

For me though, the overall message is the neglect of peripheral regions in favour of the large urban areas by the government here and across the world - Brexit & Trump played on this neglect in a negative fashion.

screenexile

Quote from: macdanger2 on December 09, 2016, 02:56:01 PM

Watched it last night, great documentary although very depressing. Interesting to note that after tax write offs, etc., the corrib gas will return almost nothing to the exchequer directly. You can somewhat understand giving away the fishing rights, perhaps the value wasn't fully understood and they were at least getting something in return. Nothing of the sort with exploration rights.

For me though, the overall message is the neglect of peripheral regions in favour of the large urban areas by the government here and across the world - Brexit & Trump played on this neglect in a negative fashion.

Indeed they played on the neglect which nobody doubts. What people doubt and with good reason so far is exactly what are Teresa May and Trump going to do about these neglected people??

Trump gave Carrier tax incentives admittedly to keep 800 jobs but there's no mention of the other 1200 odd shipped to Mexico!!

May has dropped corporation tax rate... that'll help all the poor communities in the North!!!!

magpie seanie

The oil thing can be rectified in large part at the stroke of a pen only the political will is not there. This fairy story of "oil companies won't drill" if you up the CT or demand better terms is another great lie bought into by the masses. When we were forced to pay 42% of Europe's bank debt we should have said, right so, 50% corporation tax for oil companies (as our Labour minister of the early 70's had set up - similar to Norway) but no - screw the ordinary Joe to the floor. Restart emigration. Wreck peoples lives. The sheep will still vote us in.

While I'm at the stats - we "own" 25% of Europe's fishing waters but have 4% of the quotas. The whole thing is criminal and people need to wake up.

magpie seanie

Quote from: BennyCake on December 09, 2016, 02:24:40 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on December 09, 2016, 12:55:15 PM
Must get a look at it.

Two forced referendum replays in 20 years suggests yes.

Would Brexit impact be as bad for the South if they told the EU to get stuffed too? Isn't it the obvious solution? Their biggest exports are to Britain, so get the feck out of the Nazi Club.

I think the option needs to be explored. Especially in light of the illegal interference with our Taxation regime - our last vestige of sovereignty. I think we might be better off if we leave with a cogent, well thought out pland but one thing's for sure - if we lose the Apple case we have no choice - we must leave the EU. Otherwise we're totally fcuked.

macdanger2

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 09, 2016, 03:25:17 PM

The oil thing can be rectified in large part at the stroke of a pen only the political will is not there. This fairy story of "oil companies won't drill" if you up the CT or demand better terms is another great lie bought into by the masses. When we were forced to pay 42% of Europe's bank debt we should have said, right so, 50% corporation tax for oil companies (as our Labour minister of the early 70's had set up - similar to Norway) but no - screw the ordinary Joe to the floor. Restart emigration. Wreck peoples lives. The sheep will still vote us in.

While I'm at the stats - we "own" 25% of Europe's fishing waters but have 4% of the quotas. The whole thing is criminal and people need to wake up.

Absolutely agree. It's not like they can just go elsewhere and drill for this oil/gas. Always suspicious when you have the likes of Ray Burke and Bertie involved in changing those laws too.

magpie seanie

They should be in jail for the rest of their lives for what they've done. The damage they and their party and their sister party FG have done to the people of this country is indescribable.

We need to grow up as a country and show FF/FG the door. For good. Encourage good, community people with the right motives who are answerable to no one but their constituents.

J70

I don't know Seanie... is there or has there ever been a sustainable political system where politicians WON'T sell out their own mothers? Where vested interests won't shape the public dialogue and start whisper campaigns to discredit anyone opposing them? Especially in this day and age of "fake news" and enough morons out there with access to the internet and conspiracy theories designed to channel their clueless, aimless anger at their lives?

Declan

QuoteWe need to grow up as a country and show FF/FG the door.

Latest polls give them 57% of the vote and in the last general election they got just over 50% so looks like the rest of the country aren't on the same wavelength

magpie seanie

Quote from: Declan on December 09, 2016, 04:31:32 PM
QuoteWe need to grow up as a country and show FF/FG the door.

Latest polls give them 57% of the vote and in the last general election they got just over 50% so looks like the rest of the country aren't on the same wavelength

What did they get in 1970's/1980's? The graph is thankfully going in the right direction though not quick enough.

BennyCake

Quote from: J70 on December 09, 2016, 04:06:59 PM
I don't know Seanie... is there or has there ever been a sustainable political system where politicians WON'T sell out their own mothers? Where vested interests won't shape the public dialogue and start whisper campaigns to discredit anyone opposing them? Especially in this day and age of "fake news" and enough morons out there with access to the internet and conspiracy theories designed to channel their clueless, aimless anger at their lives?

There's no repercussions for politicans who are elected and wreck the place. Voted in amid promises galore, and walk away with the country fecked and their own pockets lined. Then another cowboy gets in and does the same. They'd think twice about their antics if the people rose up and dragged them from Leinster house by the bollix. Only then might you have a better run country.

J70

Quote from: BennyCake on December 09, 2016, 05:39:15 PM
Quote from: J70 on December 09, 2016, 04:06:59 PM

There's no repercussions for politicans who are elected and wreck the place. Voted in amid promises galore, and walk away with the country fecked and their own pockets lined. Then another cowboy gets in and does the same. They'd think twice about their antics if the people rose up and dragged them from Leinster house by the bollix. Only then might you have a better run country.

How do you accomplish that though?

Does anyone REALLY believe campaign promises? Even if genuine, any politician has to get past the web of vested interests and opposing politicans. They all have to compromise and horse-trade.

Plus, your picture of a "better run country" might not coincide with your neighbour's.