White Collar Boxing

Started by magpie seanie, July 10, 2009, 11:48:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Our club are organising a White Collar Boxing night on August 1st in Sligo Southern Hotel. Training is going well (bloody tough though) and the lads doing it are really looking forward to it. Obviously if anyone is in the Sligo area and interested in going send me a PM.

Anyone ever do something like this before Any tips to save my good looks  :-*??!!!! After training some nights you think you're doing well and other nights you reckon you're useless. Would recommend it to any GAA club for a fundraiser. Contact www.whitecollarboxing.ie and Cathal O'Grady (former Olympian) will look after you. Sound lad.

Trevor Hill

Could we not get a few of the heavyweights from the gaaboard to volunteer for this.

magpie seanie

Quote from: hardstation on July 11, 2009, 12:27:16 AM
I don't want to put a dampner on this and I haven't the first notion about it but is this not very dangerous?

What I mean is, you put two eejits into a ring and say "box". Surely boxing requires a fair bit more training/knowledge than this - i.e keeping your guard right, protecting areas of weakness, riding punches etc.

To me, this sounds like madness and will end with some serious injuries - therefore would be a stupid fundraiser for a football team.

As I say, I haven't the first notion about it so could be way off the mark.

There's a six week training programme given by proper boxing coaches to teach the techniques, defence etc. as well as work on the fitness. The training is fairly intense and would actually compliment football/hurling training quite well. Fighters will wear proper headgear and fights will have proper ref/judges.No injuries so far bar the odd bloody nose so fingers crossed.

magpie seanie

The trainers and coaches pair the lads according to ability. Its in everyones interest to have evenly matched bouts. Plus the gloves we use are huge. In training we use 16oz and I think on the night we use 18oz. Amateur and pro fights use 10oz. Upshot is our gloves are more padded so less likely to do damage.

Either that or I could be fcuked!

magpie seanie

Quote from: hardstation on July 11, 2009, 12:50:07 AM
I don't want to scare you but the heavier the glove........

Ara I don't scare too easily. I'm either thick or brave!

SLIGONIAN

Sligonian V tom parsons tops the bill :P,

Best of luck with this fundraiser, seen it advertised on Sligogaa.ie. Will be good craic for sure.

Vinny Feeney the Sligo Kid, used to train us with the club and ya boxing training is complimentary to the football training for sure.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

el_cuervo_fc

There was a charity boxing night in Armagh in April.  There were people from loads of different clubs who took part, with no prior boxing training.  It was one of the best nights craic I've had in a long time.  There were a few Boxing coaches at it giving each corner advice and the lads had done some training with them up to that point.

I think there was £25,000 raised for charity

Galwaybhoy

Sounds like mad craic Seanie.  I'd say its great fitness training too, 5 minutes sparing is more tiring than 60 minutes of football.  Let us know how ya get on!

downtown

Theres another one of those charity nights coming up for the Armagh County Board also.  Im doing a fight so stuck in the middle of training for it myself.  Only started 2 weeks tho so id say u are on more than myself maggie.  But i must say the training is quality for football/hurling and very intense.  No room for hiding.  What sorta training has your training got you doing maggie?

corn02

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 11, 2009, 12:35:00 AM
Quote from: hardstation on July 11, 2009, 12:27:16 AM
I don't want to put a dampner on this and I haven't the first notion about it but is this not very dangerous?

What I mean is, you put two eejits into a ring and say "box". Surely boxing requires a fair bit more training/knowledge than this - i.e keeping your guard right, protecting areas of weakness, riding punches etc.

To me, this sounds like madness and will end with some serious injuries - therefore would be a stupid fundraiser for a football team.

As I say, I haven't the first notion about it so could be way off the mark.

. The training is fairly intense and would actually compliment football/hurling training quite well. 

Indeed, and a number of clubs have been pairing up with boxing clubs in the winter months. I know Dromara in County Down spoke highly of it.

Best of luck anyways Seanie.

magpie seanie

Quote from: downtown on July 11, 2009, 08:28:36 PM
Theres another one of those charity nights coming up for the Armagh County Board also.  Im doing a fight so stuck in the middle of training for it myself.  Only started 2 weeks tho so id say u are on more than myself maggie.  But i must say the training is quality for football/hurling and very intense.  No room for hiding.  What sorta training has your training got you doing maggie?

Lots of circuits etc. Simple stuff really but tough. Amazing what you can do with a few school benches and a twisted mind! The sparring itself is a great workout alone.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 11, 2009, 10:29:06 PM
Quote from: downtown on July 11, 2009, 08:28:36 PM

Lots of circuits etc. Simple stuff really but tough. Amazing what you can do with a few school benches and a twisted mind! The sparring itself is a great workout alone.
this is a great method of training - boxing give you great discipline, strength, hand eye coordination and additional power plus the confidence that improved power and these abilities give you.

White collar boxing has been running for a few years now and OGrady is a former olympian that turned pro only to incur a head injury that meant his boxing licence was revoked - a cruel blow at the time.
Thankfully the good lad that he is has rebounded and will teach people the best boxing training going-  as he had some of the greats coaching him at one time.
A number of clubs have staged boxing nights as fund raisers and charity fundraisers - maynooth GAA club I know was one.
A resounding success and they are going to do it again.
I know of an instance where in one of OGradys training camps (not for a GAA club but just for general population) some rugby player who was fit and big into his weights was knocking lumps out of a similar sized but unfit ex GAA player who hadnt trained for a number of years. Others saw this that the rugby player was taking great delight in bullying and hitting going OTT when it was obvious that the GAA lad was knackered and couldnt defend himself.
the next night a fitter smaller guy who had done a bit of boxing as a youth took th erugby fella and dished out the same treatment to him and he was beaten abround the place but livid at the same time. Boxers dont like bullying !

OGrady was a great underage player and would have been a damn good senior footbaler as a defender if he hadnt gone to boxing instead.

I'd love to take any team I trained on a winter boxing camp under ogrady.
I couldnt rate him or boxing training highly enough for augmentative football and hurling traning

mc_grens

The first rule of Fightclub is...

venter

Fair play to you Seanie. Best of luck with it. You are a brave man.
I remember when I was younger messing about with the boxing gloves with a friend of mine. He it me with a right cross right on the chin. I went down like a sack of spuds and he only tapped me really. I must have a glass jaw.

magpie seanie

Quote from: venter on July 13, 2009, 12:20:33 PM
Fair play to you Seanie. Best of luck with it. You are a brave man.
I remember when I was younger messing about with the boxing gloves with a friend of mine. He it me with a right cross right on the chin. I went down like a sack of spuds and he only tapped me really. I must have a glass jaw.

Ara not brave at all. Club needs the money badly so it has to be done. Will be paired with someone of equal size and (in)ability as well. I'd say there are a fair few who'd like to see me getting a few clips as some on here might well understand and empathise with!