Armagh v Cork NFL Division 1 round 1 Sunday 05-02-12

Started by Onion Bag, January 30, 2012, 10:49:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orchardman

listen, i wouldnt be putting any money on us getting to the final, just meant if the 3 lads were flying they would be in with a big chance. (anyway, i agree with crossbar that we won't see ronan clarke, unfortunately for him)

But regardless of how bad we are, we hammered donegal 2 years ago, who should have been in the final last year if they had of kept it together. So a bit of organisation would go a long way. Besides, I would rather play in an all ireland semi this year through the back door rather than win another ulster and get beat in quarter final like 2008. Despite falling down the ranks, i'm not at the stage of getting excited about ulster titles again, maybe in another few years.

Realistically though, i just hope we get to the 1/4 wkend in august either way.

AFS

Armagh team:

1. Niall Geoghan
2. Andy Mallon
3. Brendan Donaghy
4. Declan McKenna
5. Paul Duffy
6. Ciaran McKeever
7. Finnian Moriarty
8. Charlie Vernon
9. John Kingham
10. Colm Watters
11. Kevin Dyas
12. Anto Duffy
13. Paul Carville
14. Malachy Mackin
15. Eugene McVerry

16. Philip McEvoy
17. Aidan Forker
18. David Lavery
19. Mark Shields
20. Billy Joe Padden
21. Brian Mallon
22. James Lavery
23. Ryan Rafferty
24. Stefan Campbell
25. Michael Stevenson
26. Caolan Rafferty

Cork team:

Ken O' Halloran
Ray Carey
Michael Shields
Eoin Cadogan
Noel O'Leary
Graham Canty
Paudie Kissane
Alan O Connor
Pearse O Neill
Fintan Goold
Patrick Kelly
Conor O'Driscoll
Colm O' Neill
Donncha O'Connor
Paul Kerrigan

Only one winner looking at those line ups. Should be a handy two points for ourselves.

armaghniac

The Armagh forward division has an unfamiliar look about it. Will Dyas stay in the HF or roam back, I wonder?
What's the story with Swift, not yet fit?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

bennydorano

Harold Disgracey

An interesting line up. Glad to see wee PC starting, his late father would be so proud of him. A small full forward line, Mackin excepted, against a physically imposing Cork back line could work to Armagh's advantage in terms of drawing frees, which McVerry and Carvill are adept at taking.

Keane

Pacy, mobile inside forwards certainly have the potential to be Cork's achilles heel if they get decent ball.

Armamike

Weak half back line for Armagh, very open with Moriarity (will give away free after free) and Duffy (loose marking) on the wings. Can't see them being able to deal very well with Cork running at them.
That's just, like your opinion man.

brokencrossbar1

Armagh will line out with Dyas pulling back in front of the CHB position allowing McKeever to be a "sweeper" (insert bluffer) in front of Donaghy.  Mackin will pull out to the CHF position and act as a third midfielder.  I believe that barring something unusual Armagh will be beaten by 5-7 points.

AFS

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on February 03, 2012, 03:00:20 PM
Armagh will line out with Dyas pulling back in front of the CHB position allowing McKeever to be a "sweeper" (insert bluffer) in front of Donaghy. Mackin will pull out to the CHF position and act as a third midfielder.  I believe that barring something unusual Armagh will be beaten by 5-7 points.

Would be surprised if that happened. Anto Duffy will already be out there as a third midfielder, and if Mackin was withdrawn from the FF line it would leave very little experience or physical presence in there.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: AFS on February 03, 2012, 07:21:55 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on February 03, 2012, 03:00:20 PM
Armagh will line out with Dyas pulling back in front of the CHB position allowing McKeever to be a "sweeper" (insert bluffer) in front of Donaghy. Mackin will pull out to the CHF position and act as a third midfielder.  I believe that barring something unusual Armagh will be beaten by 5-7 points.

Would be surprised if that happened. Anto Duffy will already be out there as a third midfielder, and if Mackin was withdrawn from the FF line it would leave very little experience or physical presence in there.

Just because it defies logic doesn't mean it won't happen.  I believe Sundays team will be laid out not to lose as opposed to going out to win and that is why I feel that this will happen.  I hope to be proved wrong of course.

Agent Orange

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on February 03, 2012, 07:56:49 PM
I believe Sundays team will be laid out not to lose as opposed to going out to win and that is why I feel that this will happen.  I hope to be proved wrong of course.

???

Good to see Vernon moved back to midfield.

whitegoodman

Some very negative vibs from the Armagh supporters on here.  Yes yas are missing a few but so are Cork.  Being at home is a big benefit and you would like to think Armagh will go out and give it a go.

Dont think they will win but definitely think Armagh will get within 5 points of Cork.  First game is also a great time to play them, maybe catch them on the hop.

Positive thinking and all that.

AFS

Quote from: whitegoodman on February 03, 2012, 10:13:07 PM
Some very negative vibs from the Armagh supporters on here.  Yes yas are missing a few but so are Cork.  Being at home is a big benefit and you would like to think Armagh will go out and give it a go.

Dont think they will win but definitely think Armagh will get within 5 points of Cork.  First game is also a great time to play them, maybe catch them on the hop.

Positive thinking and all that.

Cork look like they're missing three or four boys from a team contending for All Irelands. We're missing twice as many from a team contending for f**k all. Not really the same thing. And the Athletic Grounds has hardly been a fortress for us since it reopened.

Negative thinking and all that.

armaghranger12

Can someone please tell me the handicap betting on this game. Cork seem to have to much for Armagh at the minute. 
Armagh are blooding some new players and best of luck to them, but i think Cork's experience and well drilled forward line could have a bit of a field day unless Armagh park the bus, which i hope they dont.

Keane

-3 is still available but you have to pay extra juice (i.e. 5/6 instead of 10/11) which is a big swing from when I took it early yesterday at 11/10.

Value-wise the handicap looks pretty much gone, I'd recommend taking the 2/5 on Cork straight up with Victor Chandler or leaving it alone entirely at this stage.