The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omochain

It must be true that the Texas Energy Grid is all frigged up. You now you have it from the horse's mouth. The gospel according to a Whitey anecdote.

johnnycool

Quote from: whitey on February 19, 2021, 12:06:45 AM
I was talking to someone today who has lived in TX for 10 years

According to her, the problem is that the grid in Texas was not built to withstand a once in 100 year Ice Storm. They took shortcuts and got caught out

She also claimed that when they have just regular freezing rain, the wind turbines stop working because they become too heavy to turn.

Weather extremes are getting more common due to climate change.

Also read that Texans didn't put in turbines suitable to cold climates. Turbines are all over Northern Europe and work fine.

pay bottom dollar and you get shíte.

screenexile

It's AOC's fault for the Green New Deal!

Even though Texas is Republican and the Green New Deal hasn't been enacted yet.

She must love living rent free in conservatives heads drinking up their tears it really is quite funny!!

sid waddell

While Cruz was blaming his children for him scarpering off to Mexico, AOC was raising over a million dollars for people in need in Texas

Fairly obvious who cares about ordinary people and who doesn't give a fook, isn't it

https://truthout.org/articles/aoc-raised-1-million-for-struggling-texans-as-cruz-handled-post-cancun-pr-mess/?fbclid=IwAR2bUOLJn-KcMprD3qqo6mFkD7KP-GRZDl1VxNKAN2oF8giDrERh8ki6vS4

Eamonnca1

Quote from: screenexile on February 19, 2021, 10:52:52 AM
It's AOC's fault for the Green New Deal!

Even though Texas is Republican and the Green New Deal hasn't been enacted yet.

She must love living rent free in conservatives heads drinking up their tears it really is quite funny!!

Eamonnca1

armaghniac

Quote from: johnnycool on February 18, 2021, 09:19:54 AM
What's the story with the Texas power outages?

Is there not a sort of "national grid" in the US or is it state by state?

It is a few blocks. Recall the North-East blackout of a few years back.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

J70

This might belong in the WTF thread as well, but there are accounts going around of Texans being charged thousands of dollars for routine days-worth of electricity amidst last weeks power cuts.

Apparently Texas has a race-to-the-bottom, ultra-capitalist electricity supply system, with hundreds of companies getting in on the act.

One of the options is that you can buy at variable rates, just like a mortgage. Which works fine if wholesale prices are low.

However, when the wholesale prices go through the roof, as happened last week when the supply dried up, those on the variable rate plan are screwed as the costs are passed on directly.

The guy in the headline ended up paying 16 grand!

And of course now the Republican Texas government is demanding answers to how their free-market, regulation-free, dreamland ended up biting so many of their constituents in the arse!

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/20/us/texas-storm-electric-bills.html

Gabriel_Hurl

QuoteReuters: U.S. SUPREME COURT PAVES WAY FOR TRUMP'S FINANCIAL RECORDS TO BE DISCLOSED TO NEW YORK GRAND JURY BY REFUSING TO BLOCK LOWER COURT RULING

Main Street

In a survey by Suffolk Univ. of 1,000 republicans who voted for Trump in the 2020 election, some 58% of them regard the mob invasion of Capital Hill as "mostly an antifa-inspired attack that only involved a few Trump supporters."  ;D

It works,   Make Reality Go Away!!

Gmac

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on February 22, 2021, 03:17:02 PM
QuoteReuters: U.S. SUPREME COURT PAVES WAY FOR TRUMP'S FINANCIAL RECORDS TO BE DISCLOSED TO NEW YORK GRAND JURY BY REFUSING TO BLOCK LOWER COURT RULING

like I said a few weeks ago the Democrats have nothing if they don't have trump .

J70

Quote from: Gmac on February 22, 2021, 08:57:37 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on February 22, 2021, 03:17:02 PM

like I said a few weeks ago the Democrats have nothing if they don't have trump .

Opposing everything Trump stands for, both personally and politically, is a thoroughly worthwhile agenda, encompassing a broad range of issues.

sid waddell

AOC has now raised over 5 million dollars for Texas people in need

The sooner the woke left are in charge everywhere, the better

They actually care about people

Gmac

Quote from: sid waddell on February 22, 2021, 11:45:54 PM
AOC has now raised over 5 million dollars for Texas people in need

The sooner the woke left are in charge everywhere, the better

They actually care about people
give me a fish feed me for one day
Teach me how to fish feed me for life

J70