Holidays

Started by Oakleafer93, June 03, 2009, 01:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Johnson

We got ten nights in Bella Italia this September for an absolute steal. The prices for the same camp in the summer were a bit extortionate.

I second the votes above for La Baume, will hopefully get back to it in 2020. La Croix Du Vieux Pont is another good one but you are toward the north so more risky weather and no beaches (but it has a man made beach with a bar attached, very handy to sit and watch the kids with a pint).

seafoid

We went to l'Etoile d'Argens last year, also near Frejus . Great location and no other Irish people were seen.
It's around EUR 1500 for a week in July

https://www.allcamps.fr/camping/france/cote-dazur/camping-letoile-dargens
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

screenexile

Staying at Altominico outside Lake Garda at the end of May for one week through Al Fresco Holidays ...

Flights 2 Adults 2 Children to Milan - £408 (including Baggage)
Car Hire - £220 (including seats)
Campsite - £412

I think I would cry if I had to pay £5k for a holiday I'd be looking to go to Disneyland or something for that kind of money! Is that what it costs at the height of summer?

awideisneverasgood

Another vote for La Baume, campsite is great.

Wasn't impressed with Al Fresco at the site though, mobile home wasn't cleaned properly before we arrived, BBQ was old, dirty and broken.  Rep tried to clean it and fix it unsuccessfully.

TabClear

Quote from: screenexile on April 25, 2019, 11:05:09 AM
Staying at Altominico outside Lake Garda at the end of May for one week through Al Fresco Holidays ...

Flights 2 Adults 2 Children to Milan - £408 (including Baggage)
Car Hire - £220 (including seats)
Campsite - £412

I think I would cry if I had to pay £5k for a holiday I'd be looking to go to Disneyland or something for that kind of money! Is that what it costs at the height of summer?

You can pretty much double the May price in mid summer for mainland Europe

Harold Disgracey

Looking at booking a week in Norway, split between Oslo and Bergen. Anyone any experience of this? Considering starting of in Bergen and taking the train to Oslo with maybe a stop off somewhere in between for a night. Will be travelling with the kids, 18 & 16. The 18 yo will be heading to university in September so looking to do something interesting.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on April 25, 2019, 03:35:13 PM
Looking at booking a week in Norway, split between Oslo and Bergen. Anyone any experience of this? Considering starting of in Bergen and taking the train to Oslo with maybe a stop off somewhere in between for a night. Will be travelling with the kids, 18 & 16. The 18 yo will be heading to university in September so looking to do something interesting.

Did Bergen, Oslo and Stockholm last year.

Bergen is a good spot.  Does get the cruise ships but never over crowded.  Has the historical centre where the German traders established the Hanseatic League. Two good mountains on either side with cable cars or funicular train for oldies while youngsters can hike up. Visited the leprosy hospital. Best part was the 'Norway in a Nutshell' day tour from Bergen via the Flam railway and through the fjords by catamaran before back to Bergen by train and bus. Not to be missed. Like all of Norway a bit expensive but once in a lifetime. Travelled to Oslo by train, over 6 hours but brilliant to see across whole country from sea level to sea level but rising to snow fields at 1220m.

Oslo a great city. National gallery to see the Scream, Viking museum, Fram museum and Kontiki to celebrate Norwegian explorers.  Plenty to see and do.

Highly recommended.

Harold Disgracey

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on April 25, 2019, 04:58:48 PM

Bergen is a good spot.  Does get the cruise ships but never over crowded.  Has the historical centre where the German traders established the Hanseatic League. Two good mountains on either side with cable cars or funicular train for oldies while youngsters can hike up. Visited the leprosy hospital. Best part was the 'Norway in a Nutshell' day tour from Bergen via the Flam railway and through the fjords by catamaran before back to Bergen by train and bus. Not to be missed. Like all of Norway a bit expensive but once in a lifetime. Travelled to Oslo by train, over 6 hours but brilliant to see across whole country from sea level to sea level but rising to snow fields at 1220m.

Oslo a great city. National gallery to see the Scream, Viking museum, Fram museum and Kontiki to celebrate Norwegian explorers.  Plenty to see and do.

Highly recommended.
Good stuff. I plan to do the Norway in a Nutshell and break the journey to Oslo by perhaps staying in Flam overnight.

I really like Scandinavia, have been to Denmark a few times and was in Stockholm a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it, thought the Vasa museum was especially impressive.

Owen Brannigan

Yep, a great part of the world. We enjoyed Oslo and Bergen much more than Stockholm but loved Copenhagen.

Watch out for your flights.  Had booked SAS to Oslo but had it changed to Stockholm then Oslo. Try Norwegian, we had two great flights with them on those brand new Boeing planes  :-\

As an alternative, look at EasyJet to Glasgow and LoganAir to Bergen. Only downside is the small planes used by LoganAir.

Abble

anyone ever have any success with last minute type booking of holidays ?

not bothered if we got away on a sunny poolside holiday for 5 nights, but now with family incl 2 kids they would enjoy it but at same time wouldn't pay crazy money just yet as we already going away for a few days in july in ireland. but if we wanted to stay somewhere like portugal for 5 nights would anyone have experience or tips on using any last minute booking type service ?

seafoid

Quote from: Abble on April 29, 2019, 07:39:38 AM
anyone ever have any success with last minute type booking of holidays ?

not bothered if we got away on a sunny poolside holiday for 5 nights, but now with family incl 2 kids they would enjoy it but at same time wouldn't pay crazy money just yet as we already going away for a few days in july in ireland. but if we wanted to stay somewhere like portugal for 5 nights would anyone have experience or tips on using any last minute booking type service ?

Never did it but in the Mediterranean the weather has just started to get summery. The season has barely started and hotels /campsites would have free capacity  and lower prices.

Mikhailov

Just putting this back up in case someone didn't see earlier post -

Anyone know Southern Turkey well - Antalya, Belek, Lara Beach areas....? Are there any good Irish bars or places where GAA can be watched in July?

What is the area like in general? I know it is a great area for golf etc.

Any feedback appreciated

Mikhailov

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on April 25, 2019, 10:04:14 PM

Highly recommended.
Good stuff. I plan to do the Norway in a Nutshell and break the journey to Oslo by perhaps staying in Flam overnight.

I really like Scandinavia, have been to Denmark a few times and was in Stockholm a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it, thought the Vasa museum was especially impressive.

Norway is a great country, great scenery, very clean, good people but by god it is an expensive place. I don't envy you heading that way in summer time with 3 teenagers. You will all enjoy it for sure but at a cost

seafoid

Quote from: Mikhailov on April 29, 2019, 04:23:30 PM

Highly recommended.

Norway is a great country, great scenery, very clean, good people but by god it is an expensive place. I don't envy you heading that way in summer time with 3 teenagers. You will all enjoy it for sure but at a cost
Scandinavia and Switzerland have very high prices

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: seafoid on April 29, 2019, 04:38:12 PM
Quote from: Mikhailov on April 29, 2019, 04:23:30 PM

Highly recommended.

Scandinavia and Switzerland have very high prices

Actually, our experience of Denmark, Norway and Sweden was that hotels are cheaper than Dublin and with a little research you can eat cheaper and better than many places in Dublin or large UK cities.  It snacking and drinking that  tend to be most expensive.  Entry to some attractions will be slightly expensive but the quality of the experience is superb.

Just a note to anyone going, don't both too much with taking currency, both Norway and Sweden are virtually cashless and in many places they only will accept your card.  Before going get a credit card that doesn't have a surcharge for paying in anything other than sterling, e.g. Santander Zero card.