MAYO v ROSCOMMON - Connacht Football Championship - Quarter-Final

Started by From the Bunker, April 02, 2023, 08:00:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: FL/MAYO on April 11, 2023, 08:41:47 PM
Roscommon deserved their win, there is no arguing that point IMO. They put their bodies on the line and got what they deserved in the end, fair play to them 👏
That was also the worst refereeing performance that I have seen since 2014. He was all over the shop, no consistency in his decisions whatsoever.
Mayo fans never complain about refs when they win.
As others have pointed out, 4 scores from play won't win a game.
Without COC on the pitch to win frees and convert them they lose a large % of their scoring totals

FL/MAYO

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on April 11, 2023, 08:59:31 PM
Roscommon deserved their win, there is no arguing that point IMO. They put their bodies on the line and got what they deserved in the end, fair play to them 👏
That was also the worst refereeing performance that I have seen since 2014. He was all over the shop, no consistency in his decisions whatsoever.
Without COC on the pitch to win frees and convert them they lose a large % of their scoring totals
I am highlighting how inconsistent the ref was on Sunday, there is no doubt that Mayo were terrible all over the field, Roscommon deserved their win.
All players want is a ref to be consistent and that wasn't evident on Sunday. You could see how exasperated the players were getting at the end of the game.

UpMeeyo

Quote from: Rossfan on April 11, 2023, 07:54:51 PM
I was surprised to see only 1 going up.
But both teams played for the same amount of time.

I feel like every post has to be qualified by saying Roscommon were fully deserving of their win - Mayo were putrid - I counted 6 mayo turnovers and winning 2 opposition kickouts in that first half and we could only muster 4 points with the wind. In saying that one team had 5 extra minutes with the wind!

But to Joemamas timekeeping - can any referee tell me is it only time added on for injuries or does officiating also come into it? or is totally "at the referees discretion?"

the issue as always with reffing is consistency - whether its in-game inconsistency between two teams, but also 2 different referees will ref differently. I'm totally happy to admit Mayo got the soft calls in the league final - or rather Galway didn't get the soft calls - there was definitely two challenges on Damien Comer that were equal to what Mayo were getting frees for - either don't give mayo and Galway them or give both teams them. When the free count in the ros/mayo game ends 24-10 with very little malice, its hard to say there weren't inconsistencies (again - see above - don't think it would have affected the outcome)

UpMeeyo

Quote from: Hound on April 11, 2023, 03:56:47 PM
The first jump ball was a very clear foul by AOS.
The ref was quite harsh on Ros to reverse the foul and order another throw ball.
The second foul wasn't as clearcut and he might have got away with it had that been the initial throw ball. But knowing the ref is going to be watching both players very closely for an early nudge so that he can be consistent, AOS needed to be a bit more clued in and not be the one caught giving the nudge.

I think this suggests that if the rossie gave a nudge (for the second one, agree the first was free-awardable) the ref would have given a scorable free in? I dont think any ref is doing that from a hop ball.

weareros

Speculation but I feel if any more minutes were added in first half, we were more likely to score. On 34th minute Donie Smith scores goal. 35th minute Ros attack again and Niall Daly misses narrowly. Next attack Mayo spill ball after running into trouble, Ros play it around before launching new attack up left this time. Ref blows whistle just as Ros have overlap. Mayo I feel have lost all composure after the Smith goal, particularly as Ros were getting in behind a fairly raw Mayo fullback line. The half time whistle came at a good time for Mayo to regroup.

WhoDat

Quote from: FL/MAYO on April 11, 2023, 09:19:53 PM
I am highlighting how inconsistent the ref was on Sunday, there is no doubt that Mayo were terrible all over the field, Roscommon deserved their win.
All players want is a ref to be consistent and that wasn't evident on Sunday. You could see how exasperated the players were getting at the end of the game.

roscommon were given 24 frees while mayo were awarded 10. the difference in tackling between the two teams wasn't great enough to reflect that free count. it's tough to ref in those conditions but i think the ref was determined to not seem like a homer and ended up going way the other way. roscommon time wasted something terrible the whole game, clearly part of their game plan, but i don't know how you ref that with the rules around "head injuries", teams taking advantage of it.

joemamas

Quote from: joemamas on April 11, 2023, 07:21:46 PM
Possible jersey tug on Enda smith, certainly did not stop momentum as he had already turned away from Mayo goals, OK a free.
Donie Smith got two very very soft frees in first half, BS calls. Mayo got nothing similar.

Far Bigger issue IMO

Time keeping, I have access to GAA GO
just spent last hour going over first half, yes time to get back to work.
Every single stat below is accurate, otherwise I would not have bother to take the time to post,
anyone can please check for accuracy

stoppage                               Time play stopped
Penalty                               1 min 13 sec  (played stopped 23.04 restarted 24.17 ,smiths changed the penalty taker at the last second  ::) )
Roscommon free                           46 sec ( correct foul called on Jordan Flynn roscommon man injured play stopped 32.24-33.10)
Ref halted play                              35 sec ( Donie smith score s point from a free, then ref goes out to midfield stops plays warns two players 19.50-20.25 )
roscommon injury                          41 sec (Conor loftus wide then roscommon man down Roscommon medics on field  17.20-18.11)
Roscommon free out                       23 sec ( Aidan O shea overcarried  pushing and shoving ball not back in play for 23 sec 29.00-29.23)
next series sideline ball Mayo           42 sec (Aidan o shea knocks over Enda smith ref stops play goes in talks to umpires 29.26-30.08)

Total stoppages                            5 mins 48 sec 

Ref adds 1 fu*kin minute, he was even checking his watch at 35.30 to blow up, did he need to take a shite or something.
Almost five minutes less than he should have.
Absolutely unacceptable. He also motioned to stop his own watch on more than one occasion.
Mayo management must have been asleep on the sideline, how could they be so tuned out not be on top of it.

joemamas

Quote from: joemamas on April 12, 2023, 12:33:50 AM
Possible jersey tug on Enda smith, certainly did not stop momentum as he had already turned away from Mayo goals, OK a free.
Donie Smith got two very very soft frees in first half, BS calls. Mayo got nothing similar.

Far Bigger issue IMO

Every single stat below is accurate, otherwise I would not have bother to take the time to post,

Penalty                               1 min 13 sec  (played stopped 23.04 restarted 24.17 ,smiths changed the penalty taker at the last second  ::) )
Roscommon free                           46 sec ( correct foul called on Jordan Flynn roscommon man injured play stopped 32.24-33.10)
Ref halted play                              35 sec ( Donie smith score s point from a free, then ref goes out to midfield stops plays warns two players 19.50-20.25 )
roscommon injury                          41 sec (Conor loftus wide then roscommon man down Roscommon medics on field  17.20-18.11)
Roscommon free out                       23 sec ( Aidan O shea overcarried  pushing and shoving ball not back in play for 23 sec 29.00-29.23)
next series sideline ball Mayo           42 sec (Aidan o shea knocks over Enda smith ref stops play goes in talks to umpires 29.26-30.08)

Ref adds 1 fu*kin minute, he was even checking his watch at 35.30 to blow up, did he need to take a shite or something.
Absolutely unacceptable. He also motioned to stop his own watch on more than one occasion.
Mayo management must have been asleep on the sideline, how could they be so tuned out not be on top of it.

quote from MANFROMDELMONTE
[/quote]

so to be clear, as I mentioned in an earlier post, Roscommon were hungrier, smarter and they controlled the middle third of the field. That and a bit of luck is why they won.

The point I am making is you had a very incompetent referee and officials, if somebody wants to lay the blame on somebody other than the ref,  but FFS the not playing of almost 5 minutes of stoppage time wouldn't happen in an U14 game, Ten years ago, Offaly got a replay in an All-ireland hurling semi-final. No, I nor any other Mayo supporter would want a replay, just pointing out in a very factual way the pathetic inconsistency of the Ref. Remember Mayo did have a gale force wind advantage for the non played stoppage time.
In a game that was mostly a one two point game in the second other than the last five minutes, simply not good enough.
last two points, amazing with all the media analysis today that not one of them took the time to do an analysis of stoppage time not played in first half.
finally who was the guy standing next to Kevin McStay that had a stopwatch around his neck, it looks like it was as useful as the one Flavor Flav wears.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2c/Flavor_Flav_of_Public_Enemy.jpg

Rossfan

If we didn't have those  3 or 4 wides at the start of the 2nd half we'd have won by 7 or 8 points.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Hound

Far Bigger issue IMO

This is an example of people not understanding the rules rather than the ref getting it wrong.

Someone else mentioned that if we just brought in the stop clock like ladies, it would sort it out straight away. That person clearly never watches ladies football!

The only item above where the clock would have stopped in a ladies match was the 41 seconds for the Ros injury. And perhaps the last one depending on the circumstances. But unless the ref thinks there is deliberate time wasting, there is no time added on for frees, sidelines, yellow cards, etc. The other add on refs are supposed to do is for subs,  but based on actual time stopped rather than a 30 second rule, which some people mention but doesn't exist in GAA.

An Fhairche Abu

The exact same tally from play won Mayo the league final!

Rudi

Watched the game last night on Rte player, referee made a few mistakes here & there, but generally did pretty well. I like Conor Carroll in goals for Roscommon & wouldn't want to see him changed, however he was extremely dodgy on Sunday. Diarmuid Murtagh was outstanding, Mayo couldn't cope with Enda. The amount of balls Roscommon put in around the back, on a better day could have lead to far many more scores.
Diarmuid O Connor had a great game for  Mayo. Mayo missed Hession & Brickenden in the full backline. Roscommon were far hungrier on the day. O Shea & Flynn are immobile liabilities.

imtommygunn

Diarmuid Murtagh is a fantastic player and has been ages. Dunno why he is not lauded a lot more than he is.

Also O'Connor is one of the best about.

Rudi

For a neutral or someone with a passing interest in football, probably was a hard watch. In the past Roscommon were great to watch, we scored 2 16 against Tyrone in Croke Park, only problem we conceded 4 24. Which would us Rossies rather? Davy Burkes tactical winners any day is the answer.
Conditions with driving wind & rain on Sunday made decent football impossible,  Roscommons deserve credit for very good ball handling.

seafoid

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on April 12, 2023, 10:23:05 AM
The exact same tally from play won Mayo the league final!
Except Ros didn't allow as many frees
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU