MAYO v ROSCOMMON - Connacht Football Championship - Quarter-Final

Started by From the Bunker, April 02, 2023, 08:00:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joemamas

Quote from: Maroon Manc on April 11, 2023, 12:47:23 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on April 11, 2023, 12:01:22 AM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on April 10, 2023, 11:24:02 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on April 10, 2023, 10:30:18 PM
I watched the game wanting to Roscommon to win but probably more neutral than anything else. Roscommon were very good in so many facets. Ball retentions, setting traps, squeeze defence, clinical etc... but no mention on here about the referee?

I thought the ref had a decent game to be honest. He wasn't fooled by lads (on both sides) diving at various points trying to win frees. He generally waved play on and called it right usually. Think he got the penalty call right as well. I would gladly have taken him over the buck the week before anyway.
I thought he refereed the tackle, going down for the ball and in third man type stuff differently for both teams. He got the penalty right but I felt Mayo had to work a lot harder for their frees.

Brendan Cawley and Noel Mooney certainly refereed the game differently.

Only issue I'd have with Mooney was the time keeping especially in the first half where he added only a minute.

Watched the game back on Sunday night, so these are not random comments.
I thought the referee was absolutely pathetic.
The above in bold was one of many glaring decisions that made me come to that conclusion.
There were numerous stoppages in the first half, and in a game that tight, three or four minutes with a gale force wind matters.
First free (point) to Roscommon was utter nonsense, Mayo could not buy a free especially in the first half. Penalty decision was a 50/50 call was more clumsey than a foul, it was like what is being given in the premier league, any contact oh it must be a penalty.
In the second half, Aidan O Shea was penalized twice for winning a 50/50 ball at a throw up, his reaction the second time around was one of utter disgust.
Enda smith had his jersey tugged on the 55-60 yards line, genuine free, however he let he carry on for thirty yards, then Ref called the free and gave it to Roscommon from 30 yards out, basically a tap over free.
Apparently free count was over 2/1 in favor of Roscommon.
In conclusion, in fairness to Roscommon, they were more aggressive, more cynical stopping the play, (Ref again clueless to this), they cleaned up in the middle third and their forwards were more accurate, that is why they won, but in a game that tight,, 50/50 decisions really matter, Mayo got very very few of those.
The way Mayo set up yesterday, they would not have beaten Galway, so in reality it gives the players and management an additional two weeks to figure quite a bit out.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Blowitupref

Quote from: joemamas on April 11, 2023, 03:20:55 PM
I watched the game wanting to Roscommon to win but probably more neutral than anything else. Roscommon were very good in so many facets. Ball retentions, setting traps, squeeze defence, clinical etc... but no mention on here about the referee?

I thought the ref had a decent game to be honest. He wasn't fooled by lads (on both sides) diving at various points trying to win frees. He generally waved play on and called it right usually. Think he got the penalty call right as well. I would gladly have taken him over the buck the week before anyway.
I thought he refereed the tackle, going down for the ball and in third man type stuff differently for both teams. He got the penalty right but I felt Mayo had to work a lot harder for their frees.

Only issue I'd have with Mooney was the time keeping especially in the first half where he added only a minute.

The above in bold was one of many glaring decisions that made me come to that conclusion.
There were numerous stoppages in the first half, and in a game that tight, three or four minutes with a gale force wind matters.
First free (point) to Roscommon was utter nonsense, Mayo could not buy a free especially in the first half. Penalty decision was a 50/50 call was more clumsey than a foul, it was like what is being given in the premier league, any contact oh it must be a penalty.
In the second half, Aidan O Shea was penalized twice for winning a 50/50 ball at a throw up, his reaction the second time around was one of utter disgust.
Enda smith had his jersey tugged on the 55-60 yards line, genuine free, however he let he carry on for thirty yards, then called the free and gave it to Roscommon from 30 yards out, basically a tap over free.
In conclusion, in fairness to Roscommon, they were more aggressive, more cynical stopping the play, (Ref again clueless to this), they cleaned up in the middle third and their forwards were more accurate, that is why they won, but in a game that tight,, 50/50 decisions really matter, Mayo got very very few of those.
The way Mayo set up yesterday, they would not have beaten Galway, so in reality it gives the players and management an additional two weeks to figure quite a bit out.

The penalty was foul on the number 4 David Murray and just before it Paddy Durcan made a foot block, I'm not sure which the ref gave the penalty for but it was the correct call IMO.  Aidan O'Shea twice fouled his man on those throw up balls and player of his experience didn't or shouldn't be making those type of fouls.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

imtommygunn

The penalty was the correct call.I do think there were some fairly dubious calls at the end but the penalty wasn't one of them.

Hound

The first jump ball was a very clear foul by AOS.
The ref was quite harsh on Ros to reverse the foul and order another throw ball.
The second foul wasn't as clearcut and he might have got away with it had that been the initial throw ball. But knowing the ref is going to be watching both players very closely for an early nudge so that he can be consistent, AOS needed to be a bit more clued in and not be the one caught giving the nudge.

weareros

Enda smith had his jersey tugged on the 55-60 yards line, genuine free, however he let he carry on for thirty yards, then Ref called the free and gave it to Roscommon from 30 yards out, basically a tap over free.

The referee was 100% correct per the rules of the game. Enda Smith kept driving forward as referee was playing advantage, and he was fouled a second time. The official rule below:

Foul Subsequent to Advantage Award
If, during the advantage period, a foul is committed by a player of the team which was originally fouled then the advantage is cancelled and a free kick/puck awarded for the "second" foul.

If, during the advantage period, another foul is committed against the team which received the original advantage, then a free kick/puck will be awarded for the "second" foul if it is considered more advantageous than the original.

joemamas

Quote from: weareros on April 11, 2023, 05:36:27 PM

The referee was 100% correct per the rules of the game. Enda Smith kept driving forward as referee was playing advantage, and he was fouled a second time. The official rule below:

If, during the advantage period, a foul is committed by a player of the team which was originally fouled then the advantage is cancelled and a free kick/puck awarded for the "second" foul.

If, during the advantage period, another foul is committed against the team which received the original advantage, then a free kick/puck will be awarded for the "second" foul if it is considered more advantageous than the original.

If he was fouled a second time, then we are in for one long summer of frees.

Rudi

Referee got the penalty call right, calls against Aidan O Se right. Got the Smith advantage correct, he did a very good job. The 1 minute added time at the end of first half a poor call by 4th official?
Mayo for whatever reason didn't have the stomach for the battle on this occasion,  Roscommon just wanted it more. Would be interesting to meet again later on. Hopefully we have Nolan, Cregg, Heneghan back would give us even more options. Impressed with impact off bench again, particularly ball carrying of McKeown.

Rossfan

Quote from: joemamas on April 11, 2023, 06:05:12 PM

If players don't foul the Ref won't have to give frees ;)
Was it only 11 frees given against our lads? Great disciplined defending.

Is it time for McStay/Rochford/McHale/Buckley to leave O'Shea on the bench?

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Rudi on April 11, 2023, 06:07:59 PM
Referee got the penalty call right, calls against Aidan O Se right. Got the Smith advantage correct, he did a very good job. The 1 minute added time at the end of first half a poor call by 4th official?
Mayo for whatever reason didn't have the stomach for the battle on this occasion,  Roscommon just wanted it more. Would be interesting to meet again later on. Hopefully we have Nolan, Cregg, Heneghan back would give us even more options. Impressed with impact off bench again, particularly ball carrying of McKeown.

Lots of talk about O'Shea never getting the frees he deserves (got plenty last week), James O'Donoghue talk about it on a podcast last week about how O'Shea is unique in how he goes looking for that physical contact as opposed to trying to avoid a defender like every other forward does.

manfromdelmonte

When Roscommon played keep ball in the first half why did Mayo play a sweeper and sit very deep with the wind? Baffling tactics.
The high press is a huge feature of their game for turnovers yet they conceded possession and field space

Maroon Manc

Quote from: joemamas on April 11, 2023, 06:05:12 PM

There was a clear tug on Smiths jersey right in front of the ref, easy decision for the ref.

joemamas

Possible jersey tug on Enda smith, certainly did not stop momentum as he had already turned away from Mayo goals, OK a free.
Donie Smith got two very very soft frees in first half, BS calls. Mayo got nothing similar.

Far Bigger issue IMO

Time keeping, I have access to GAA GO
just spent last hour going over first half, yes time to get back to work.
Every single stat below is accurate, otherwise I would not have bother to take the time to post,
anyone can please check for accuracy

stoppage                               Time play stopped
Penalty                               1 min 13 sec  (played stopped 23.04 restarted 24.17 ,smiths changed the penalty taker at the last second  ::) )
Roscommon free                           46 sec ( correct foul called on Jordan Flynn roscommon man injured play stopped 32.24-33.10)
Ref halted play                              35 sec ( Donie smith score s point from a free, then ref goes out to midfield stops plays warns two players 19.50-20.25 )
roscommon injury                          41 sec (Conor loftus wide then roscommon man down Roscommon medics on field  17.20-18.11)
Roscommon free out                       23 sec ( Aidan O shea overcarried  pushing and shoving ball not back in play for 23 sec 29.00-29.23)
next series sideline ball Mayo           42 sec (Aidan o shea knocks over Enda smith ref stops play goes in talks to umpires 29.26-30.08)

Total stoppages                            5 mins 48 sec 

Ref adds 1 fu*kin minute, he was even checking his watch at 35.30 to blow up, did he need to take a shite or something.
Almost five minutes less than he should have.
Absolutely unacceptable. He also motioned to stop his own watch on more than one occasion.
Mayo management must have been asleep on the sideline, how could they be so tuned out not be on top of it.

Rossfan

I was surprised to see only 1 going up.
But both teams played for the same amount of time.

FL/MAYO

Roscommon deserved their win, there is no arguing that point IMO. They put their bodies on the line and got what they deserved in the end, fair play to them 👏
That was also the worst refereeing performance that I have seen since 2014. He was all over the shop, no consistency in his decisions whatsoever.