MAYO v ROSCOMMON - Connacht Football Championship - Quarter-Final

Started by From the Bunker, April 02, 2023, 08:00:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Ok time to move on!

Have a feeling this will be as silent as the League Final with Posts!

Rossfan

I know it's only oul Hurley stuff but today's U20 game ended
Ros 12-20
Tyrone 3-7.
We'll hardly bate Mayowestros by as much next Sunday ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

highorlow

They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

seafoid

The clash of the titans. Ros won their first 3 in D1 but then eased off, presumably because they were doing more training.
I would expect the Ros forwards at championship pace to put up a good score. Mayo can't be too different to yesterday. They will bring their organised chaos A game.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

weareros

I hope the ref Mr. Mooney (who punished us severely a few years ago when he overturned a free that would have kept us in DIV 1) will be strict on what I see as the most annoying aspect of the modern game, the stealing of yards on marks and frees. No disrespect to Ryan O'Donaghue who is a fine footballer, but he is one of the worst offenders. He stamps on the ground as if to say well that's the spot where I will kick from and the ref thinks, well he just stamped on the ground so all is well. ROD then proceeds to kick the ball from a mark nowhere near where he stamped, often ten to twenty yards from where the mark was called or foul committed. There's no other sport that would tolerate this but it's rife in GAA. I have never seen a ref call it yet.

Cunny Funt

Galway was competitive yesterday by holding Mayo who are been free scoring this year to a low score and if they were a bit more clinical from the goal chances created they could have won.  Roscommon's best chance is doing similar in defence while hoping to be less wasteful or not making the Colm Reape MOTM. In the league game last month Roscommon conceded 1-16 which included a total gift of a goal if a similar score or more is conceded this Sunday I would expect Mayo to win by 4 to 6 points.   

seafoid

Roscommon love taking the neighbours down a peg especially when it is felt they may have a case of notions.
And they win around one in 5 titles so they are pretty good at it.

Rossfan

Ah but Seaf this year we're up against the League Champions and AI Champions elect.
Our only hope is that Mayowestros are preparing for the AI series and won't be bothered with the Connacht stuff.
Hopefully we'll keep it respectable Sunday :-\ :-[
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on April 04, 2023, 02:10:10 PM
Ah but Seaf this year we're up against the League Champions and AI Champions elect.
Our only hope is that Mayowestros are preparing for the AI series and won't be bothered with the Connacht stuff.
Hopefully we'll keep it respectable Sunday :-\ :-[
We saw the turbo version in Feb. Plus Mayo aren't fluirseach when it comes to scoring. My image of the first 3 rounds is of Rossies rampaging in waves. I think it will be interesting.

Blowitupref

QuoteMayo aren't fluirseach when it comes to scoring

Mayo was the top scorers in Div 1 with 9-112 (139) 30 points ahead of the next best scoring team.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

whitey

This has all the makings of an ambush

Rossies have nothing to lose

From the Bunker

Quote from: whitey on April 04, 2023, 04:58:55 PM

Are you joking me? They have a championship game to lose just like Mayo. They have something to lose.  A statement like that is unwittingly disrespectful to Roscommon football as if they are only there to make up the numbers. They are a Division One side (on Merit).

seafoid

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 04, 2023, 05:49:38 PM

Are you joking me? They have a championship game to lose just like Mayo. They have something to lose.  A statement like that is unwittingly disrespectful to Roscommon football as if they are only there to make up the numbers. They are a Division One side (on Merit).
As a Division 1 team, they have already qualified for the Sam Maguire so they don't have anything to lose if they choose to ambush Mayo.

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on April 04, 2023, 06:38:52 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on April 04, 2023, 05:49:38 PM

As a Division 1 team, they have already qualified for the Sam Maguire so they don't have anything to lose if they choose to ambush Mayo.

What have Mayo to lose, that Roscommon don't have to lose? I'm a bit confused here.