Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelo

The squad for next year should see a fairly comprehensive overhaul though whoever is manager. I think part of the reason I'd like to see a fresh voice in is for that purpose.

These are the players I think should be around for next year:

GK:
Morgan
Gallen

Defenders:
Brennan
McNamee
Rafferty
McCann
Hampsey
Cassidy
M O'Neill
McKernan
K McGeary
F Burns
HP McGeary
Kelly
Grimes
Quinn
Murnaghan

Midfield:
Kennedy
R Donnelly
Kilpatrick

Forwards:
M Donnelly
McKenna
McCurry
Bradley
Canavan
McShane
Meyler
Sludden

That's about 28 players so you have the potential to add 10 or so new faces in there. I think in terms of defensive talent in the country we probably have more or less the best available to us on the panel at present, possibly a few new additions if some of those guys aren't available or moved on.

In terms of midfield, we're now short, it's an area we need to improve on. I'd defintitely hop we can get McNulty back in there and I also like Nugent from Galbally and think he could be given a go during the McKenna Cup.

With the attackers, there is loads of talent not available for whatever reason this year. It's time to give new some new blood a go here, plenty of talent on the u20 squad this year. The likes of McAliskey and Brennan should be tried to commit again, Donaghy should be a certain call up and a few others too. You look at us playing guys like Meyler, McGeary and Burns as wing forwards  - they don't score enough and when you contrast with teams like Mayo, Donegal and Kerry who get big scoring returns from these areas it's something we really need to improve on but looking at the club scene - we don't really seem to have too many natural scoring half forwards do we?

Donnelly plays best when he is given a free role in the middle of the pitch and I think Harte is probably best utilised as a ball winning inside forward from now on.

Hopefully for whoever is in charge going forward, a fully fit squad will allow the likes of McKenna, Harte, Donnelly, McShane and one of Canavan/Bradley/McCurry etc to operate in that final third of the pitch. The bottom line is when you're against the big sides you are probably going to need a dog in there like Meyler or McGeary to take an opposition player out of the game - a lot of the other counties play with one but that's not to say that we don't need a much bigger return from whoever is chosen to do that job at the other end of the pitch. Meyler and McGeary really need to start contributing on the scoreboard if they are to justify their selection.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

tyroneman

I would agree that Harte will prob ask for (and get) a 1-2 year extension to have a crack at things with McKenna, Canavan, McShane all playing together.

And if he gets that opprtunity and doesn't make progress......fair time to give someone else a chance.

The issue is not that he doesn't get results, it's that he invariably seems to come up short v Mayo/Kerry/Dublin when it matters.

So progress = beating one of them in a semi final / final

The_Slug

Quote from: Angelo on November 03, 2020, 12:46:46 PM
The squad for next year should see a fairly comprehensive overhaul though whoever is manager. I think part of the reason I'd like to see a fresh voice in is for that purpose.

GK:
Morgan
Gallen

Defenders:
Brennan
McNamee
Rafferty
McCann
Hampsey
Cassidy
M O'Neill
McKernan
K McGeary
F Burns
HP McGeary
Kelly
Grimes
Quinn
Murnaghan

Midfield:
Kennedy
R Donnelly
Kilpatrick

Forwards:
M Donnelly
McKenna
McCurry
Bradley
Canavan
McShane
Meyler
Sludden

That's about 28 players so you have the potential to add 10 or so new faces in there. I think in terms of defensive talent in the country we probably have more or less the best available to us on the panel at present, possibly a few new additions if some of those guys aren't available or moved on.

In terms of midfield, we're now short, it's an area we need to improve on. I'd defintitely hop we can get McNulty back in there and I also like Nugent from Galbally and think he could be given a go during the McKenna Cup.

With the attackers, there is loads of talent not available for whatever reason this year. It's time to give new some new blood a go here, plenty of talent on the u20 squad this year. The likes of McAliskey and Brennan should be tried to commit again, Donaghy should be a certain call up and a few others too. You look at us playing guys like Meyler, McGeary and Burns as wing forwards  - they don't score enough and when you contrast with teams like Mayo, Donegal and Kerry who get big scoring returns from these areas it's something we really need to improve on but looking at the club scene - we don't really seem to have too many natural scoring half forwards do we?

Donnelly plays best when he is given a free role in the middle of the pitch and I think Harte is probably best utilised as a ball winning inside forward from now on.

Hopefully for whoever is in charge going forward, a fully fit squad will allow the likes of McKenna, Harte, Donnelly, McShane and one of Canavan/Bradley/McCurry etc to operate in that final third of the pitch. The bottom line is when you're against the big sides you are probably going to need a dog in there like Meyler or McGeary to take an opposition player out of the game - a lot of the other counties play with one but that's not to say that we don't need a much bigger return from whoever is chosen to do that job at the other end of the pitch. Meyler and McGeary really need to start contributing on the scoreboard if they are to justify their selection.

I think Donaghy will be worth a call up but it will take him two or three years to develop and play at the highest level against the likes of dubs/kerry/mayo etc. People saying he should have been on the team for the donegal game is madness in my view, massive difference between scoring from play in a club game and a county game, and i can't see him being given the free kick duties, so his scoring capacity will be massively reduced. However, with that said, give the lad two years of development with the squad and he could/will become a great outlet.

I think the list included is fair but I would include Kerr from Galbally as a player to retain, he's intelligent, skillful and accurate. I'm not too sure why he isn't closer to the starting team but obviously there is a reason for it, would definitely have him on ahead of Mulgrew anyway.

I think the players that deserve a Mckenna Cup campaign are Donaghy (Dungannon), Teague (Dromore), Mallon (Dungannon), Quinn (Coalisland), Kilpatrick (Pomeroy), Leonard (Coalisland), Herron (Coalisland), Sheilds (Clogher) and then Breenan and McAliskey to return. Just an opinion and im sure ive forgotten a few

I would love to see the team cleared and everyone having to trial again and see what panel they end up with. This would obviously never happen but it would certainly be interesting as Harte is renowned for not dropping players.

sam03/05

I think that with the year that was
6 months no football, straight knock out in Ballybofey, kept us in Div 1
He is probably entitled to at least one more year in charge if he wants it

redzone

Donaghey turned down an invitation from harte after club championships, hopefully he's more ready at the start of next year to give it a go.

Enda Kilpatrick son is very good player and could be a bit of dark horse. Presumably he's u20 next year

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: The_Slug on November 03, 2020, 02:45:52 PM

GK:
Morgan
Gallen

Defenders:
Brennan
McNamee
Rafferty
McCann
Hampsey
Cassidy
M O'Neill
McKernan
K McGeary
F Burns
HP McGeary
Kelly
Grimes
Quinn
Murnaghan

Midfield:
Kennedy
R Donnelly
Kilpatrick

Forwards:
M Donnelly
McKenna
McCurry
Bradley
Canavan
McShane
Meyler
Sludden

I think Donaghy will be worth a call up but it will take him two or three years to develop and play at the highest level against the likes of dubs/kerry/mayo etc. People saying he should have been on the team for the donegal game is madness in my view, massive difference between scoring from play in a club game and a county game, and i can't see him being given the free kick duties, so his scoring capacity will be massively reduced. However, with that said, give the lad two years of development with the squad and he could/will become a great outlet.

I think the list included is fair but I would include Kerr from Galbally as a player to retain, he's intelligent, skillful and accurate. I'm not too sure why he isn't closer to the starting team but obviously there is a reason for it, would definitely have him on ahead of Mulgrew anyway.

I think the players that deserve a Mckenna Cup campaign are Donaghy (Dungannon), Teague (Dromore), Mallon (Dungannon), Quinn (Coalisland), Kilpatrick (Pomeroy), Leonard (Coalisland), Herron (Coalisland), Sheilds (Clogher) and then Breenan and McAliskey to return. Just an opinion and im sure ive forgotten a few

I would love to see the team cleared and everyone having to trial again and see what panel they end up with. This would obviously never happen but it would certainly be interesting as Harte is renowned for not dropping players.

Mark McKearney deserves a shot too. Although if we want to move to a move expansive gameplan without defensive half forwards then I'm not sure he fits in.

The two key priorities for next year are 1) identifying one or two extra quality man markers and 2) finding someone can partner Brian Kennedy at midfield.

If we can find another couple of quality defenders who we can trust to leave in a one on one battle, then we can fully push up on the opposition and leave our forwards in place. I really think the lack of these players has contributed to our defensive tactics in recent years. But at the same time, players don't develop these skills when they constantly have the protection of a sweeper or mass defence.

In the current squad I would class McNamee as one of these players but after that we're struggling. Possibly Rory Brennan but I feel as if he is more comfortable tagging someone out the field. Hampsey obviously won an all star at corner back in 2018 but he's barely played the position since and has been plagued with injuries. I think Liam Rafferty has some developing to do as a corner back as well.

After that we have Conor Quinn on the panel who I like the look of and who did well on Mattie Donnelly in the club championship. And Conall Grimes. As far as potential call ups go, Peter Teague and Conor Shields are worth a try.

lenny

Quote from: bigpackiechestout on November 03, 2020, 05:54:54 PM
Quote from: The_Slug on November 03, 2020, 02:45:52 PM

GK:
Morgan
Gallen

Defenders:
Brennan
McNamee
Rafferty
McCann
Hampsey
Cassidy
M O'Neill
McKernan
K McGeary
F Burns
HP McGeary
Kelly
Grimes
Quinn
Murnaghan

Midfield:
Kennedy
R Donnelly
Kilpatrick

Forwards:
M Donnelly
McKenna
McCurry
Bradley
Canavan
McShane
Meyler
Sludden

Mark McKearney deserves a shot too. Although if we want to move to a move expansive gameplan without defensive half forwards then I'm not sure he fits in.

The two key priorities for next year are 1) identifying one or two extra quality man markers and 2) finding someone can partner Brian Kennedy at midfield.

If we can find another couple of quality defenders who we can trust to leave in a one on one battle, then we can fully push up on the opposition and leave our forwards in place. I really think the lack of these players has contributed to our defensive tactics in recent years. But at the same time, players don't develop these skills when they constantly have the protection of a sweeper or mass defence.

In the current squad I would class McNamee as one of these players but after that we're struggling. Possibly Rory Brennan but I feel as if he is more comfortable tagging someone out the field. Hampsey obviously won an all star at corner back in 2018 but he's barely played the position since and has been plagued with injuries. I think Liam Rafferty has some developing to do as a corner back as well.

After that we have Conor Quinn on the panel who I like the look of and who did well on Mattie Donnelly in the club championship. And Conall Grimes. As far as potential call ups go, Peter Teague and Conor Shields are worth a try.

What about Walsh from Dungannon, he marked a few good players in this year's championship.

GetOverTheBar

There were a few Dungannon players contacted. All refused because they would have had to have been at training the Tue or Thur after they won it. You can guess why they never bothered. If they get the call again, who knows.

bgal10

Would no one like to see Rory Brennan played at midfield? Not sure whether it's him or directions from the sideline but I think he has the ability to offer far more attacking wise to the team than he does.
Anytime he gets the ball he always seems a bit short on confidence with it or something but he's a quality player and has great feet when he actually does decide to shoot.

trileacman

Quote from: bgal10 on November 03, 2020, 06:47:47 PM
Would no one like to see Rory Brennan played at midfield? Not sure whether it's him or directions from the sideline but I think he has the ability to offer far more attacking wise to the team than he does.
Anytime he gets the ball he always seems a bit short on confidence with it or something but he's a quality player and has great feet when he actually does decide to shoot.

If you want a MF who can attack and score then it's Richie Donnelly who's your best bet.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

RandyDupree

bigtogs

Has Peter Donnelly a role in a potential new management team?

ONeill

Don't think we have the players to really compete for Sam. If you think of the All Ireland final 2 years ago, Kerry last year, Donegal this year - each time Tyrone would fly out of the traps, but when good teams start to squeeze you and the white heat rises, Tyrone have a habit of making mistakes and taking the wrong options, especially in front of the posts. Even the game against Mayo in 2016 when Cavanagh saw red, Tyrone squandered big chances late on.

I don't know if you can coach that to players in their mid to late 20s - composure.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

bannside

For what little its worth, I think you were beaten by a superb team that has timed its run much better than last year, found 3 orc4 new players and added the formidable footballing brain of Stephen Rochford to its background team. There was nothing really between the teams except for a few mouthy defenders.

I wouldnt be in the least bit surprised if Donegal go the whole way, they have pretty much got everything you'd want in a panel.

Now. Would you have beaten them with a fit Mc Shane? Probably.

Angelo

Quote from: bgal10 on November 03, 2020, 06:47:47 PM

Rory Brennan is our go to man marker now. By getting guys like Brennan, Hampsey, Donnelly, McKenna etc to plug gaps in midfield you are robbing Peter to pay Paul.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL