Sam Maguire Group 4 - Derry, Clare, Monaghan, Donegal

Started by GAABoardMod5, May 23, 2023, 08:28:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orchardarmy02

armagh will be avoided until semi final thankfully

armaghniac

If Derry and Armagh reach the SF and get each other, then I'd say they would both settle for that. However, there was a statement here that they were trying to avoid duplications of earlier games "The semi-finals are, where possible, subject to the avoidance of repeat pairings from the championship." But I expect that Derry could play Tyrone in the unlikely event that Tyrone get that far.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Estimator

Quote from: orchardarmy02 on June 19, 2023, 10:43:46 AM
armagh will be avoided until semi final thankfully
By qualifying top of the group Armagh have avoided quarter-final ties with Derry, Kerry, Dublin, Galway and Tyrone.  I'd say they are more than happy with that and should find themselves in a semi-final this year.
Ulster League Champions 2009

orchardarmy02

Wildweasel74

Only Team I be happy to avoid is Kerry, be happy to take on all others. Still doesn't meant we def win that game.

Real Talk

Great to top the group and i got it wrong about Donegal!!! Was disappointed with Brendan Rogers this last two games I know because of his previous performances he is very much a continuously " marked man" which should within the context of the system allow more space for someone else to shine eg McFaul but its not happening for him either.  We're now in tougher territory playing against better quality opposition and all the backroom teams are very well prepared on the strengths of their opposition.  We need to create something special to get over the next hurdle and just as Sherlock from Cork produced a fantastic performance from the subs' bench v Mayo I think Lachlan Murray can give us a real scoring boost if we can get him good quality ball....

what do folk think ?

93-DY-SAM

Lachlan should have had a lot more football under his belt at this stage of the season. He should have started in the Clare game. I don't know what the reluctance to bring him on earlier in games has been about.  I know he was carrying an injury earlier in the season but I had thought that was cleared up now.

tbrick18

Quote from: Real Talk on June 19, 2023, 10:20:19 PM
Great to top the group and i got it wrong about Donegal!!! Was disappointed with Brendan Rogers this last two games I know because of his previous performances he is very much a continuously " marked man" which should within the context of the system allow more space for someone else to shine eg McFaul but its not happening for him either.  We're now in tougher territory playing against better quality opposition and all the backroom teams are very well prepared on the strengths of their opposition.  We need to create something special to get over the next hurdle and just as Sherlock from Cork produced a fantastic performance from the subs' bench v Mayo I think Lachlan Murray can give us a real scoring boost if we can get him good quality ball....

what do folk think ?

Not sure I agree on the Rogers comment, but in general you can't expect him to star in every game.
He's still having a very strong year and I'd put him up against any MF in the country.

Lachlan Murray is a strange one. I can see the argument for starting him. But I also see the need for a top quality impact sub and in every game he has come on he has been top drawer. He could be our version of Dublin's Kilkenny in their pomp. Oisin McWilliams too if he's fully recovered.
Its great to have quality on the bench to keep the first 15 on their toes, to cover for injuries and to inject quality and pace for the last 15-20 mins.
If we started Murray in place of Niall O, for example, would Niall make the same impact off the bench that Murray can make? I'm not so sure.
Difficult management calls and on the days it works it'll be a master class in tactics, but on the day we get beat there will no doubt be those calling the tactics out as wrong because Murray didnt start.
It's been "working" so far, I think we have to put faith in management to make the right call at the right time.
Murray is class act and I think McWilliams isnt far behind when fit. Realistically Benny Heron is probably in his twilight years of intercounty, so one of them will certainly step in when he retires, so it's not far away for either of them.

ClubScene13

Quote from: tbrick18 on June 20, 2023, 10:30:44 AM

what do folk think ?

Not sure I agree on the Rogers comment, but in general you can't expect him to star in every game.
He's still having a very strong year and I'd put him up against any MF in the country.

Lachlan Murray is a strange one. I can see the argument for starting him. But I also see the need for a top quality impact sub and in every game he has come on he has been top drawer. He could be our version of Dublin's Kilkenny in their pomp. Oisin McWilliams too if he's fully recovered.
Its great to have quality on the bench to keep the first 15 on their toes, to cover for injuries and to inject quality and pace for the last 15-20 mins.
If we started Murray in place of Niall O, for example, would Niall make the same impact off the bench that Murray can make? I'm not so sure.
Difficult management calls and on the days it works it'll be a master class in tactics, but on the day we get beat there will no doubt be those calling the tactics out as wrong because Murray didnt start.
It's been "working" so far, I think we have to put faith in management to make the right call at the right time.
Murray is class act and I think McWilliams isnt far behind when fit. Realistically Benny Heron is probably in his twilight years of intercounty, so one of them will certainly step in when he retires, so it's not far away for either of them.

Lachlan Murray to Ciaran Kilkenny in the peak Dublin years is some comparison. Ciaran Kilkenny started every one of the x6 in a row all ireland's, would Lachlan Murray have x1 start under his belt in championship? No pressure on the kid brick

oakleaflad

Quote from: ClubScene13 on June 20, 2023, 01:06:46 PM

what do folk think ?

Lachlan Murray to Ciaran Kilkenny in the peak Dublin years is some comparison. Ciaran Kilkenny started every one of the x6 in a row all ireland's, would Lachlan Murray have x1 start under his belt in championship? No pressure on the kid brick
Did he maybe mean McManamon as the impact sub? Murray probably isn't as good as the others yet defensively which could play a part in him not starting. He's very talented, though still very young. Hopefully see more of him later in the year, I think Croke Park would suit him.

Estimator

Was suprised Murray didn't make an appearance on Saturday. Seemed to be moving well in the warm up, so don't think there was an injury to be worried about.  Was it Thomas Mallon that was the sub keeper on Saturday? Think it was him working with Lynch before the match, but he was too far away to be 100%.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Brendan

Quote from: Estimator on June 20, 2023, 03:16:42 PM
Was suprised Murray didn't make an appearance on Saturday. Seemed to be moving well in the warm up, so don't think there was an injury to be worried about.  Was it Thomas Mallon that was the sub keeper on Saturday? Think it was him working with Lynch before the match, but he was too far away to be 100%.

Hasn't he been goalkeeping coach for a few years, the irony of him being a goalkeeping coach

seanyb

Quote from: Brendan on June 20, 2023, 04:25:34 PM

Hasn't he been goalkeeping coach for a few years, the irony of him being a goalkeeping coach

Still one of the best club keepers in Derry to be fair

harryR

Quote from: seanyb on June 20, 2023, 04:46:13 PM
Quote from: Brendan on June 20, 2023, 04:25:34 PM

Still one of the best club keepers in Derry to be fair

Not even the best keeper in his own club anymore

tbrick18

Quote from: oakleaflad on June 20, 2023, 03:01:17 PM
Quote from: ClubScene13 on June 20, 2023, 01:06:46 PM

what do folk think ?

Did he maybe mean McManamon as the impact sub? Murray probably isn't as good as the others yet defensively which could play a part in him not starting. He's very talented, though still very young. Hopefully see more of him later in the year, I think Croke Park would suit him.

Yep I did. Brain farted that one!
I think Murray has the potential to be as good as anyone out there. His physique along with his skillset are at the top level.
Perhaps there is something on the defensive side of things, but I certainly see him as being one of our key players in the years to come. For now, impact of the bench from him has been brilliant and that's as important over 70 mins as anything else.