Derry V Donegal Ulster final 2022

Started by shawshank, May 16, 2022, 02:08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeSoap

In terms of management I suppose Rory Kavanagh would be touted but people complaining about our style of play would want to be worried about the club game as well. Rochford I'm not convinced has brought anything since 2019. It's gotten very stale unfortunately, I thought Bonner was a breath of fresh air and the drawn game v Kerry in Croke Park 2019 was one of my most enjoyable days following Donegal in many a year. We played brilliant stuff that day.

But I suppose circumstances have meant we've not had a proper run since that year and in the intervening championships we seem to have become much more conservative and cautious in those big games. The Cavan defeat in 2020 I think was hugely damaging to the team and to Bonner.

I have heard those rumblings about Murphy before and I think maybe it's the case that he likes to drift out but if he was getting a clear instruction from management to stay inside for a certain amount of team in each game, from knowing his personality I would be very surprised if Murphy would just ignore that.

Itchy

Quote from: Estimator on May 30, 2022, 11:15:53 AM
Derry beat every Anglo-Celt winner from 2009-2021 (with the exception of Cavan) to win this. Scoring 1-18, 3-12 and 1-16. Decent returns for a dull dour defensive team  :o
Think its 4wks now until the next game and I believe we can't meet a team we've faced already in the QF which is a bonus.

One of Derrys famous sons once called Cavan the black death even though they were top scorers in the league in the country at the time and even after they put a big score against Derry in the qualifiers in Celtic park. He seems to have forgotten all that now though! I dont see much different in the way Derry approach their games vrs that Cavan team. The problem is now Derry will need to change as you wont beat Dublin or Kerry playing like that in my opinion.

An Watcher

The Derry Galway side of the draw is the one to get on.  As a Tyrone fan I'd prefer Galway but a few hurdles to clear before then!!

tbrick18

Quote from: Itchy on May 30, 2022, 04:21:47 PM
Derry beat every Anglo-Celt winner from 2009-2021 (with the exception of Cavan) to win this. Scoring 1-18, 3-12 and 1-16. Decent returns for a dull dour defensive team  :o
Think its 4wks now until the next game and I believe we can't meet a team we've faced already in the QF which is a bonus.

One of Derrys famous sons once called Cavan the black death even though they were top scorers in the league in the country at the time and even after they put a big score against Derry in the qualifiers in Celtic park. He seems to have forgotten all that now though! I dont see much different in the way Derry approach their games vrs that Cavan team. The problem is now Derry will need to change as you wont beat Dublin or Kerry playing like that in my opinion.

On the one hand I agree.
But then I remember hearing that sort of thing before about Tyrone/Armagh in the 00s and even about Donegal in 2012, so who knows.

NotedObserver

Quote from: tbrick18 on May 30, 2022, 07:18:08 PM

On the one hand I agree.
But then I remember hearing that sort of thing before about Tyrone/Armagh in the 00s and even about Donegal in 2012, so who knows.

I think teams started to move away from the total blanket defence (thankfully) and not as sharp as playing against it. Be interested to see how Derry get on and nobody will want to play them but at same time the opposition will fancy their chances.

tbrick18

Quote from: NotedObserver on May 30, 2022, 07:24:10 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on May 30, 2022, 07:18:08 PM

On the one hand I agree.

I think teams started to move away from the total blanket defence (thankfully) and not as sharp as playing against it. Be interested to see how Derry get on and nobody will want to play them but at same time the opposition will fancy their chances.

Yeah I'd agree with that, though I don't mind the blanket. I just think its another tactic that teams have to overcome.
Whatever happens Derry this year, it's all a bonus now.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Brolly picks and chooses

Loughshore2022

Judging by my research this was the first time all 15 players in an Ulster winning team were from South Derry. I had thought 1958 was the same but it seems Sean O'Connell was on that team. To be fair though Slaughtneil and Glen feel like North Derry in my eyes. Once you hit the Glenshane it just doesn't feel like South Derry to me.

Armamike

Fair play to Derry. Wish we were more like them.
That's just, like your opinion man.

screenexile

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: Loughshore2022 on May 30, 2022, 09:13:12 PM
Judging by my research this was the first time all 15 players in an Ulster winning team were from South Derry. I had thought 1958 was the same but it seems Sean O'Connell was on that team. To be fair though Slaughtneil and Glen feel like North Derry in my eyes. Once you hit the Glenshane it just doesn't feel like South Derry to me.

Did Patsy Gornley and Brian Mullan play in the ulster final in 58?
Glen and Slaughtneil both the southern side of Glenshane.

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: screenexile on May 30, 2022, 10:25:48 PM
Are all AIQFs in Croker??

Would need to be double headers, 25th/26th June.

Real Talk

Quote from: screenexile on May 30, 2022, 10:25:48 PM
Are all AIQFs in Croker??

The AIQF's venues will be determined by the CCCC  apparently... they are on Sat/Sun 25/26 June

restorepride

You should take up research full-time. How many players on the 1975 team could see Lough Beg from their house?  It would have as much relevance as this outdated shite. Once you go over the Moyola it just doesn't feel like the Broagh anymore, does it?!!! 

Derryman forever

Young mc Carron is from steelstown. Not on the starting 15 but he did feature as a sub.