Derry V Kildare - Owenbeg, Sat 9th June 3pm

Started by oakleaflad, June 06, 2018, 09:21:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakleaflad

Not much chat about this one. Will Kildare bring many up to it? Find it hard to call due to the form of both counties but I think Kildare might just pip us by 2 or 3 points. Despite not winning Kildare were fairly competitive in Division 1 whilst we struggled in Division 3.

JoG2

Quote from: oakleaflad on June 06, 2018, 09:21:02 AM
Not much chat about this one. Will Kildare bring many up to it? Find it hard to call due to the form of both counties but I think Kildare might just pip us by 2 or 3 points. Despite not winning Kildare were fairly competitive in Division 1 whilst we struggled in Division 3.

agreed, though the 'we' who struggled in Div 3 is not really the 'we' lining out in the championship, hence the uncertainty. They'll be very little in this one, could well go to ET. Would be something to see a hefty crowd in Owenbeg on Sat

mup

Quote from: oakleaflad on June 06, 2018, 09:21:02 AM

Can't see many travelling from Kildare at all for this one. Morale is at an all time.

I cannot see anything but a Derry win here. By 4 or 5 points.

Hopefully it'll bring about about change within Kildare Gaa.

screenexile

It's actually a very big match and will define both Counties seasons.

Derry got relegated but the missing Slaughtneil contingent was a mitigating factor that bought the team a bit of respite from a backlash. We were never expected to beat Donegal but put in a reasonable performance. The team needs to win this one to salvage their season. I think we can!

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

Donnellys Hollow

There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Farrandeelin

Both counties playing the béal bocht. I reckon Derry will win this game. No idea why. Maybe the fact they scored 0-16 against Donegal but other than that I don't know.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

westbound

I think Kildare will win this.

I was at the Kildare  v Carlow game. Kildare weren't as far off the mark as people might think. They kicked it away really in the first half when they had chances (including a penalty) but didn't get enough scores. In addition, Carlow didn't miss anything. It was one of those days for Carlow.

If the kildare players have ANY pride at all, they'll be bursting to win this game to prove that they are a decent team.

So I think they'll have enough to beat Derry.

Hound

I think they are two teams with a lot of potential to improve and be dark horses to make the Super 8. They both could have done with a handy draw though, to get the show on the road.

If the Kildare forwards get going, they might just be too good and win by 4 or 5. But if it's tight going down the stretch, then I think I'd fancy Derry to nick it.

twohands!!!

2 teams who were relegated in the league ; Derry conceding a total of 126 points (an average of 18 points per game) and Kildare conceding a total of 130 points (an average of 18.57 points per game)

Derry might have scored 0-16 against Donegal, but the current Donegal defence looks a million miles away from when they were at their peak (Cavan in the previous game managed 1-15)

Very much looks like it could be one of those games where it's a case of who wants it more on the day, probably with a slight advantage to Kildare due to the respective league standings.

Given the state of both defences, you'd have to think a high scoring affair looks a distinct possibility.

Captain Scarlet

I don't think it is a case of both sets of fans being cagey here, it's a case of being sick of how things are going in their own counties. Both groups have literally no idea which of their own set of players will turn up.
I know in Kildare we need to be showing some actual fight and not be bullied like we were the last day. We have to take the rough with the smooth and finally get a win.
The losing streal simply has to end this weekend.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Real Talk

The problem Derry have at the moment is they don't have a 'tricky pacey' corner forward who can take scoring chances.  Emmett Bradley playing in the half - forward line scored well from play and frees against Donegal but I don't see any other scoring threat and Mark Lynch is playing very deep.  Kildare's despite being relegated from Div 1 have the edge over us in all-round quality and can win this game.

JoG2

Quote from: Real Talk on June 07, 2018, 05:53:05 PM
The problem Derry have at the moment is they don't have a 'tricky pacey' corner forward who can take scoring chances.  Emmett Bradley playing in the half - forward line scored well from play and frees against Donegal but I don't see any other scoring threat and Mark Lynch is playing very deep.  Kildare's despite being relegated from Div 1 have the edge over us in all-round quality and can win this game.

Niall Toner is both tricky and pacey, is a good foil for the half forward line and can take a score. But you're right about an marquee inside forward, though they are like hens teeth at the moment, not just in the Derry, but a lot of counties. What we need is the likes of Bradley, Lynch and Kielt to weigh in with 4 /5 including frees, Lynn, Mcguigan, Toner, Mcatamney etc to weigh in with 1 or 2..youre up to 14/15 points. Hopefully we push on and the men put in a serious shift which I'm confident they will do. After the league, I'm actually really looking forward to this game. The promo video for the 3 games this weekend is brilliant.
A big crowd roaring the team on could be the difference and the lift we all need.

Dinny Breen

I have never seen such apathy around a Kildare game. I would have traveled but have a family function with family over from the UK and the USA. Maybe the phoenix will rise. Here's hoping.
#newbridgeornowhere

Donnellys Hollow

Yeah I can't remember the mood ever being as low. There's no belief whatsoever in this group of players.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?