Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Real Talk

Absolutely overjoyed with winning the Ulster title .... all the bad days obliterated ... Fantastic appreciation to the whole team, what another brilliant team performance .... and what an astute Management team led by Rory Gallagher ... and there is more to come   

My first taste of  Ulster Final success was when we beat Antrim in 1970 at Casement Park .... and this one was every bit as good .... Henry Diamond of Newbridge was full back I think ... over 51 years ago

marty34

Need now to divide south Derry into two.  :)

Wildweasel74

Well it's up to Teams in North Derry to provide players who are off the standard, even the city got 2 players on the panel. Which players do you think from North Derry should be on the panel, K Johnson, L McColdrick possible, maybe trials for C Murphy. McCloskey(Banagher) can't think anyone else, Derry suffer when Dungiven, such a strong club team is going so poorly.

restorepride

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 30, 2022, 09:28:10 AM
Well it's up to Teams in North Derry to provide players who are off the standard, even the city got 2 players on the panel. Which players do you think from North Derry should be on the panel, K Johnson, L McColdrick possible, maybe trials for C Murphy. McCloskey(Banagher) can't think anyone else, Derry suffer when Dungiven, such a strong club team is going so poorly.
Give it a rest ffs. We've just won Ulster.

Fantastic day and super victory. Pride fully restored. Just great for all our GAA clubs and communities. Couldn't believe the crowd we had in Clones. Celebrating on field after with children and grandchildren a memory that will last forever. Doire abĂș!

tbrick18

That was as complete a team performance as I have seen from derry in maybe 15 years.
They have proved the grit now as well as the skill and game plan.
The fact that we came back from going a couple of points down is some real character building stuff.

Every single player had an impact, mistakes were made but by god when a mistake was made you could see the player bust a gut to make amends.

You could single out a few players like Rogers, Glass and Mguigan, but I thought our collective was much greater than the sum of the parts. That's what a team should be, can't fault it.

I think special praise should go out to Lynch. I think in Derry's game plan now, he has nearly the toughest position on the pitch. I felt he was unlucky for the goal. His kickouts were generally good with only a couple of mistakes. The Donegal keeper certainly didn't outshine him imo.

Just to echo what someone else said, when Derry won in 93 I was on the pitch with my own father. Yesterday, I was on the pitch with my kids and despite ill health, my father was there too. I remember 93 like it was yesterday and this feels like that, I hope my kids look back on this in 30 years with fond memories too.
Sure that's what it's all about isnt it!

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: tbrick18 on May 30, 2022, 09:51:02 AM
That was as complete a team performance as I have seen from derry in maybe 15 years.
The fact that we came back from going a couple of points down is some real character building stuff.

Every single player had an impact, mistakes were made but by god when a mistake was made you could see the player bust a gut to make amends.

You could single out a few players like Rogers, Glass and Mguigan, but I thought our collective was much greater than the sum of the parts. That's what a team should be, can't fault it.

I think special praise should go out to Lynch. I think in Derry's game plan now, he has nearly the toughest position on the pitch. I felt he was unlucky for the goal. His kickouts were generally good with only a couple of mistakes. The Donegal keeper certainly didn't outshine him imo.

Just to echo what someone else said, when Derry won in 93 I was on the pitch with my own father. Yesterday, I was on the pitch with my kids and despite ill health, my father was there too. I remember 93 like it was yesterday and this feels like that, I hope my kids look back on this in 30 years with fond memories too.

I can 100% relate to this as I was exactly the same. Great to see all the kids out on the pitch afterwards enjoying the celebrations. My god that was someday yesterday and for us to do it beating three Div 1 teams along the way. Not many harder Ulster titles won than that which makes it all the sweeter. We are still a work in progress and this team has some potential. Still think our kick-outs need some work. A weaker part of our game. Thought we were slow to get the ball out again which allowed Donegal to pick up men and make it hard for Lynch to target anyone. And on the other side we were probably a bit slow to get back to pick up Donegal from theirs. But all in all, was some team effort to get over the line. One of the biggest things for me was how the lads reacted to going behind. They didn't start to panic and stuck to their game. That was a big test of character for these lads.

Real Talk

About that team performance .... there was was Brendan Rogers scoring from inside the Donegal 35 and in the Derry goal mouth Shane McGuigan with 2 fantastic high catches (under severe pressure !!) inside the Derry 14 defending like his life depended on it ... these were  3/4 stand out moments.   Any many other players doing the same heroics including .... Paul Cassidy,  Conor Glass , the Doherty's, Gareth McKinless and Paul McGrogan .... 18 Men playing as a team ...

cornerback

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on May 30, 2022, 10:22:24 AM

I can 100% relate to this as I was exactly the same. Great to see all the kids out on the pitch afterwards enjoying the celebrations. My god that was someday yesterday and for us to do it beating three Div 1 teams along the way. Not many harder Ulster titles won than that which makes it all the sweeter. We are still a work in progress and this team has some potential. Still think our kick-outs need some work. A weaker part of our game. Thought we were slow to get the ball out again which allowed Donegal to pick up men and make it hard for Lynch to target anyone. And on the other side we were probably a bit slow to get back to pick up Donegal from theirs. But all in all, was some team effort to get over the line. One of the biggest things for me was how the lads reacted to going behind. They didn't start to panic and stuck to their game. That was a big test of character for these lads.

Need to look at getting ballboys & girls behind the goals.  Lynch having to remove the loose ball from the field several times before taking his kick-out.  Also, Lynch often left his kicking tee on the 21 obviously to speed things up but a couple of times I seen that McMenamin threw it away.

Cluborcountywhynotboth

I would agree with a lot of this, a brilliant day which will live long in the memory. But I would disagree on Lynch, I thought he was poor and too slow to get the kickouts away. Time and again there was space for the quick mid length kick and he hesitated until it wasn't on. Also thought the goal was a poor error. Having said that he responded well, would have been easy to let the head drop but he didn't and took responsibility near the end in possesion to get Derry up the field. Overall I would'nt be too critical but he'll need to improve.
I think Benny Heron has been a bit overlooked in the reviews of yesterday, his intelligent movement is so important for Derry in creating attacking space. I thought we looked very one dimensional when he came off but almost instantly looked more dangerous when he came back on again. While he doesn't always get on the ball himself, his movement makes so much space for everyone else.

imtommygunn

Your last line sums it up. I love watching champions league etc but you don't get what you get with your club or your county doing that. It means a lot more when it happens a lot less too. One of my better memories is where i was when our country won their first game in 27 years!! (I have some good hurling ones too thankfully!)

OakLeaf

It's a long time since we've had a day like that in Clones! Every player gave everything they had.

The most impressive thing was how they set aside the mistakes and got on with it. Lynch chipped a kick out over a Donegal man's head not long after conceding the goal.

They said we hadn't the players to beat Tyrone, and we hadn't the experience to beat Monaghan or Donegal. I think we have everything we need now :) This young team can only get better.

I think if the minors watch that Senior match back, they'll learn a lot. Sometimes as a defender all that it takes is to get a hand on the man to disrupt the play. The Seniors did it time and time again. Our Minors have the players to go far.

marty34

Quote from: OakLeaf on May 30, 2022, 04:15:54 PM
It's a long time since we've had a day like that in Clones! Every player gave everything they had.

The most impressive thing was how they set aside the mistakes and got on with it. Lynch chipped a kick out over a Donegal man's head not long after conceding the goal.

They said we hadn't the players to beat Tyrone, and we hadn't the experience to beat Monaghan or Donegal. I think we have everything we need now :) This young team can only get better.

I think if the minors watch that Senior match back, they'll learn a lot. Sometimes as a defender all that it takes is to get a hand on the man to disrupt the play. The Seniors did it time and time again. Our Minors have the players to go far.

I think Derry are set up nicely now.

They can introduce a few new players in the league next season.  Get them on board as there is plenty of talent in the underage pipeline now.

tbrick18

Quote from: marty34 on May 30, 2022, 04:48:12 PM
Quote from: OakLeaf on May 30, 2022, 04:15:54 PM

I think Derry are set up nicely now.

They can introduce a few new players in the league next season.  Get them on board as there is plenty of talent in the underage pipeline now.

I think we are going through a purple patch alright.
We did the same in the early 2000s with the likes of Gerard O'Kane and Mark Lynch coming through from a successful minor team.
Lets hope we can keep the standard across the age groups and keep everything moving in the right direction.
Things feel like they have changed within the structures and personnel at Owenbeg for the better.
We had consistently good sponsorship from H&A and now Errigal.
And at the moment we have good management teams and a good crop of players at all levels.
Players, a lot of which are the product of a successful Glen minor setup a few years back and St. Pats also.

It just shows a lot of things need to be going right to give the senior team the best chance possible on top of having that special group of players.
Now I know that County football is not the be all and end all, but this win has given the whole county a lift.
I firmly believe a competitive senior team benefits every club in the county as it has the knock on effect of every kid about the place wanting to get out on a pitch.
The feed of players ultimately comes from the clubs and having quality coaching there is the way to really keep the conveyor belt rolling.

smort

Gallagher strikes me as a Mourinhi sort, getting a lot out of talented players, but not sure how sustainable it is long term. Although there are plenty of good players in that squad and in the underage groups

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: smort on May 30, 2022, 08:32:47 PM
Gallagher strikes me as a Mourinhi sort, getting a lot out of talented players, but not sure how sustainable it is long term. Although there are plenty of good players in that squad and in the underage groups

Definitely be there another 2 years until tactics change and he cant