Martin Mc Guinness Passes Away at 66

Started by vallankumous, January 09, 2017, 10:51:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Quote from: Syferus on January 20, 2017, 01:24:12 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on January 20, 2017, 12:23:17 PM
Syferus is a silly young gobdaw taking his views from British media outlets.
He's still entitled to his opinion and no doubt when he reaches 25 and his frontal lobes develops he might just learn that the world isn't one dimensional.
And by Jases in Derry it certainly wasn't from 1968 onwards.

I'll tell Michael Mulligan you're still genuflecting to your photo of Comrade McGuiness (does anyone actually believe he severed ties with the Provos in 1974 like he says he did?) in the mornings next time I'm in. He'll be well pleased.

The rest of us still see McGuinness for what he is. A divisive figure that did more to drive communities apart than bring them together.

Well if Ian Paisely Jr is able to give McGuinness such a fitting tribute and you're coming out with that nonsense your level of bitterness would seem to be of epic proportions. . . especially for someone who doesn't even live in the North!

JoG2

He's still entitled to his opinion and no doubt when he reaches 25 and his frontal lobes develops he might just learn that the world isn't one dimensional.

I'll tell Michael Mulligan you're still genuflecting to your photo of Comrade McGuiness (does anyone actually believe he severed ties with the Provos in 1974 like he says he did?) in the mornings next time I'm in. He'll be well pleased.

The rest of us still see McGuinness for what he is. A divisive figure that did more to drive communities apart than bring them together.

Who's 'us' ?

Franko

Quote from: The Stallion on January 20, 2017, 12:25:08 PM
Quote from: Franko on January 20, 2017, 11:36:27 AM
Quote from: The Stallion on January 20, 2017, 11:33:38 AM
No. I have no problem with people expressing opinions contrary to my own. I certainly don't issue threats or tell people not to post like several posters here have done to me.

Cry me a river.

No

It is my opinion that you are an idiot.  You are quite entitled to reply with your opinion, but most people will frame in the context of you being an idiot.

leenie

Quote from: JoG2 on January 20, 2017, 02:11:08 PM

Who's 'us' ?

I was wondering the same
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

The Stallion

Quote from: Franko on January 20, 2017, 02:13:04 PM
No. I have no problem with people expressing opinions contrary to my own. I certainly don't issue threats or tell people not to post like several posters here have done to me.

Cry me a river.

No

It is my opinion that you are an idiot.  You are quite entitled to reply with your opinion, but most people will frame in the context of you being an idiot.

More insults. Disappointing but not at all surprising.

Dire Ear

Quote from: Applesisapples on January 20, 2017, 12:08:41 PM
Quote from: Syferus on January 20, 2017, 11:38:21 AM
http://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/opinion/news-analysis/martin-mcguinness-record-in-executive-cant-exorcise-the-ghosts-of-the-past-35321466.html

Great article that accurately outlines how McGuiness is and will be viewed outside hard nationalist circles (and SF AGMs, I guess) in the six counties.

The rush to lionise the nationalist answer to Ian Paisley here just because he's gone shows a serious lack of perspective. Like Paisley, he took the north deeper down the rabbit hole. Everyone would have been better off without both.
I can only surmise that those on here who are being disingenuous with their views on McGuinness, fall into two categories, they either are 40 and under in age or live in the south. Anyone of my generation and older will only too readily remember what it was like growing up in the Protestant state. I could what about all day on nationalist grievances, my experience in work and on the streets and the actions of our fellow countrymen. But I won't. Martin McGuinness got embroiled in the troubles and the IRA because of his experiences. The history is there go read it. In fact those of you who want to objectively view the northern state and the cause of the troubles should go read Bonfires on the Hillsides by James Kelly. The best history of the North to be written. I personally could never pick up arms, but many like McGuinness did so out of frustration and a sense injustice. Am I condoning the atrocities ... absolutely not, but they need to be viewed in context. The SDLP and John Hume great man as he is could not have delivered the GFA or the peace process with out the IRA's actions, Unionists simply would not have moved, if you believe otherwise then you are a fool. There was much done on both sides and we thankfully have moved beyond that. You don't have to like Martin mcGuinness to acknowledge his contribution in delivering the North to where we are now. He has continuously stretched himself and nationalism in attempts to reach accommodation with political unionism only to be thwarted by intransigence. Unlike some he has never denied his past or sought to hide behind red hats or shotgun licences.
Well said

Franko

Quote from: The Stallion on January 20, 2017, 02:17:56 PM
Quote from: Franko on January 20, 2017, 02:13:04 PM

Cry me a river.

No

More insults. Disappointing but not at all surprising.

Sorry, it's just my opinion.  It may or may not be contrary to yours but I appreciate you defending my right to express it.

Syferus

http://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/martin-mcguinness-refuses-to-condemn-ira-human-bomb-attack-in-1990-dubbed-the-work-of-satan-by-catholic-bishop-29733940.html

McGuiness. Three years ago. As simple and as immovable a repudiation of the responses above as you could find. Even in his peacemaker persona the mask slipped far too easily for the comfort of everyone in the south or with a conscience, even.

But don't let facts get in the way of the nonsense. They rarely have when it comes to anything in the north.

leenie

Quote from: Syferus on January 20, 2017, 02:26:22 PM
http://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/martin-mcguinness-refuses-to-condemn-ira-human-bomb-attack-in-1990-dubbed-the-work-of-satan-by-catholic-bishop-29733940.html

McGuiness. Three years ago. As simple and as immovable a repudiation of the responses as you could find.

But don't let facts get in the way of the nonsense. They rarely have when it comes to anything in the north.

numpty
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

NAG1

McGuiness. Three years ago. As simple and as immovable a repudiation of the responses above as you could find. Even in his peacemaker persona the mask slipped far too easily for the comfort of everyone in the south or with a conscience, even.

Think your line there sums it up nicely, its that comfort that allows you to spout your Daily Mail version of northern politics - lack of understanding or any comprehension of how things transpired. Timelines out and simple understanding of situations completely missing but hey why let that stop you.

The fact that MMcG brought the republican movement with him along this journey to where they are now is more of a tribute to the type of man he was. Never denied his background and never ever going to turn his back on those who he was alongside be that in the IRA or SF.

haranguerer

Those in the south who are like you have to dress it up as you do, because the thought that those in the north are exactly like you, and, but for the grace of god, are you, becomes too much to bear when you think about about what was done to help. Northern nationalists were on their own at the stroke of a pen - given how that state was administered thereafter, conflict was inevitable - and its rarely pretty. So watch injustice inflicted on your countrymen and do nothing, then give out when someone does do something. Admirable indeed.

Eamonnca1

Just saw Ian Og's tribute to Marty. Impressive.

Wildweasel74

Seen ruth dudley edwards piece to Martin mcguinness! Impressive to, in the opposite way! She sure she got an irish bckground! The term jackeen was invented for people like her!

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Applesisapples on January 20, 2017, 12:08:41 PM
Quote from: Syferus on January 20, 2017, 11:38:21 AM
http://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/opinion/news-analysis/martin-mcguinness-record-in-executive-cant-exorcise-the-ghosts-of-the-past-35321466.html

Great article that accurately outlines how McGuiness is and will be viewed outside hard nationalist circles (and SF AGMs, I guess) in the six counties.

The rush to lionise the nationalist answer to Ian Paisley here just because he's gone shows a serious lack of perspective. Like Paisley, he took the north deeper down the rabbit hole. Everyone would have been better off without both.
I can only surmise that those on here who are being disingenuous with their views on McGuinness, fall into two categories, they either are 40 and under in age or live in the south. Anyone of my generation and older will only too readily remember what it was like growing up in the Protestant state. I could what about all day on nationalist grievances, my experience in work and on the streets and the actions of our fellow countrymen. But I won't. Martin McGuinness got embroiled in the troubles and the IRA because of his experiences. The history is there go read it. In fact those of you who want to objectively view the northern state and the cause of the troubles should go read Bonfires on the Hillsides by James Kelly. The best history of the North to be written. I personally could never pick up arms, but many like McGuinness did so out of frustration and a sense injustice. Am I condoning the atrocities ... absolutely not, but they need to be viewed in context. The SDLP and John Hume great man as he is could not have delivered the GFA or the peace process with out the IRA's actions, Unionists simply would not have moved, if you believe otherwise then you are a fool. There was much done on both sides and we thankfully have moved beyond that. You don't have to like Martin mcGuinness to acknowledge his contribution in delivering the North to where we are now. He has continuously stretched himself and nationalism in attempts to reach accommodation with political unionism only to be thwarted by intransigence. Unlike some he has never denied his past or sought to hide behind red hats or shotgun licences.

Great post.

Some times you've just got to stand up for yourself.

JoG2

Quote from: haranguerer on January 20, 2017, 02:38:56 PM

Those in the south who are like you have to dress it up as you do, because the thought that those in the north are exactly like you, and, but for the grace of god, are you, becomes too much to bear when you think about about what was done to help. Northern nationalists were on their own at the stroke of a pen - given how that state was administered thereafter, conflict was inevitable - and its rarely pretty. So watch injustice inflicted on your countrymen and do nothing, then give out when someone does do something. Admirable indeed.

Super post.  The likes of Syferus,  and those other folk I had the misfortune of reading on the journal.ie comments section (I should know better)  re McGuinness typifies how the Internet has given a voice to folk who spout on various subjects without having a feckin clue.