No drinking on the way to the match

Started by dec, August 02, 2011, 02:13:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dec

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-14358342

People caught with alcohol on a hired vehicle going to a major sporting event could be jailed for three months under new laws.
The same sentence could apply to those caught with flares or fireworks inside stadia at major matches.
The new provisions mean anyone involved in sectarian chanting, throwing missiles on the pitch or invading the playing area can be fined up to £1000.

The justice minister said the new laws will make sport more family friendly.
"The three sporting associations - rugby, football and the GAA - have invested a great deal in making their major sporting events memorable for all the right reasons," David Ford added.
"However there still can be times when the actions of a few can spoil it for the majority of fans and this new legislation allows the law to deal with those individuals."

For football, the new laws apply to international matches, IFA Premiership and Championship matches.
They also apply to Football Association of Ireland Premier League and First Division matches played in Northern Ireland.
For gaelic games, they apply to matches played at any ground which requires a safety certificate under the Safety of Sports Grounds (NI) Order 2006.
For rugby, they apply to matches played at Ravenhill.

amallon

The invading the pitch one is the most annoying one.  After county finals anyone coming on the field could be fined £1,000. 
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

tyrone86

Quote from: amallon on August 02, 2011, 02:19:09 PM
The invading the pitch one is the most annoying one.  After county finals anyone coming on the field could be fined £1,000.

Surely the peelers would actually have to be in attendance for this to be enforced?

screenexile

Really don't see why Rugby and GAA are included in that list. The amount of trouble at either is minimal!

amallon

Quote from: tyrone86 on August 02, 2011, 02:21:05 PM
Quote from: amallon on August 02, 2011, 02:19:09 PM

Surely the peelers would actually have to be in attendance for this to be enforced?

All it would take is some idiot to see pictures of fans celebrating a county final sucess to complain to the cops.  An idiot like a Gregory Campbell or a Jim Wells for example.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

armaghniac

No problem if you are going to Clones though!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Jinxy

Is it just a coincidence or is this why Donegal are doing so well this year?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

20leg-end08

Silly laws that will never be enforced
It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me

tbrick18

Quote from: armaghniac on August 02, 2011, 02:54:07 PM
No problem if you are going to Clones though!

They just implement "Plan B"...lol.