Would you be in favour of a second tier?

Started by sligoman2, June 26, 2017, 12:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you be in favour of an alternative championship for Div 3 and 4 with winners and runners up rejoining the other championship.

Yes
136 (52.7%)
No
104 (40.3%)
Undecided
18 (7%)

Total Members Voted: 258

trailer

Quote from: Keyser soze on June 14, 2019, 01:29:43 PM
Quote from: trailer on June 14, 2019, 01:04:33 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on June 14, 2019, 10:41:42 AM
I'll leave this here for ye

https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/semiprofessionalism-is-like-the-gaas-brexit-and-were-teetering-on-the-edge-of-a-cliff-right-now-38218438.html

Nonsense. He says people are turning down county because it's a big commitment. The reason it is a big commitment is because no one wants to get completely humped out the gate, so they train more to get better, individually and collectively. There's no chance Jim Gavin or even Rory Gallagher is going to put their team out with a couple of training sessions under their belt. He's looking to rewind the clock 30 years. Not going to happen. He may as well be advocating for the Bishop to throw the ball in.

Can I ask what your views on Paul Flynn's statement are, do you think a semi professional GAA county setup is the way forward?

Absolutely against it. 100%.
What I am advocating for is a sensible solution that see teams graded on their abilities. That provides competitive football for as many counties as possible, with meaningful winnable games.
It's achievable. I believe that if it is properly administered it can generate massive revenues which should be reinvested in coaches. Not to coach elite athletes but to improve the lives, health and well being of all children regardless of ability, county, school, club or location.

Keyser soze

Quote from: trailer on June 14, 2019, 02:29:48 PM
Quote from: Keyser soze on June 14, 2019, 01:29:43 PM
Quote from: trailer on June 14, 2019, 01:04:33 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on June 14, 2019, 10:41:42 AM
I'll leave this here for ye

https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/semiprofessionalism-is-like-the-gaas-brexit-and-were-teetering-on-the-edge-of-a-cliff-right-now-38218438.html

Nonsense. He says people are turning down county because it's a big commitment. The reason it is a big commitment is because no one wants to get completely humped out the gate, so they train more to get better, individually and collectively. There's no chance Jim Gavin or even Rory Gallagher is going to put their team out with a couple of training sessions under their belt. He's looking to rewind the clock 30 years. Not going to happen. He may as well be advocating for the Bishop to throw the ball in.

Can I ask what your views on Paul Flynn's statement are, do you think a semi professional GAA county setup is the way forward?

Absolutely against it. 100%.
What I am advocating for is a sensible solution that see teams graded on their abilities. That provides competitive football for as many counties as possible, with meaningful winnable games.
It's achievable. I believe that if it is properly administered it can generate massive revenues which should be reinvested in coaches. Not to coach elite athletes but to improve the lives, health and well being of all children regardless of ability, county, school, club or location.

That is a laudable aim, but if that happens I will eat my hat.

And of course on matchdays I still wear one of those crepe jobs that the dye runs out of when it rains. Lined with tinfoil of course  ;)

irish345

The best way would be a straight forward knockout no seeds or anything like that why should the likes of dublin or tyrone be protected we will of course get matchups like dublin v louth but that would be balanced out by two small teams getting drawing against each other two weaker counties playing each other with a chance to advanced would probably create a bigger buzz and atmosphere than them playing in a tier 2 tournament  in unseeded draw its not out of the realms of possibility a smaller county gets into a quarter final  would u rather play in an all ireland quarter final or a 2nd tier final.

This would be too simple for gaa tho like a lot of sports organizations these days they dont do simple and its all turning into a racket to protect the big boys/

The club championships should be promoted more too

BennyCake

Stop talking sense @irish345.

No point risking Kerry or Dublin going out in Round 1 though. No no, we need them to play over and over again against the same 3/4 teams, and milk that cow dry.

The champions league is the perfect example of this. Often meaningless group games generating huge tv money for the big 5/6 teams, when a straight knock out would be the better solution.

OgraAnDun

A grand total of 2,147 watching the Christy Ring final live on YouTube

Rossfan

Good.
And the Laythrum captain made the greatest speech in Croker for many a day.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

dublin7

Quote from: irish345 on June 14, 2019, 03:31:16 PM
The best way would be a straight forward knockout no seeds or anything like that why should the likes of dublin or tyrone be protected we will of course get matchups like dublin v louth but that would be balanced out by two small teams getting drawing against each other two weaker counties playing each other with a chance to advanced would probably create a bigger buzz and atmosphere than them playing in a tier 2 tournament  in unseeded draw its not out of the realms of possibility a smaller county gets into a quarter final  would u rather play in an all ireland quarter final or a 2nd tier final.

This would be too simple for gaa tho like a lot of sports organizations these days they dont do simple and its all turning into a racket to protect the big boys/

The club championships should be promoted more too

So you want lads to kill themselves training 9 months of the year for possibly 1 game. What a clown. Clearly you've never played sport at any sort of competitive level. Bar stool athlete who hasn't a clue of real world sacrifices/efforts

While you've been living in your dream world inter county players have been calling for more games not less. Leitrim celebrated winning in the hurling in Croker today. That should be the template. Its not rocket science. Teams of similar standard competing for a trophy.

Farrandeelin

Put Dublin in Tier 1.

Everyone else in tier 2.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

orangeman

John Horan's call for a second tier cannot be resisted. It's just a matter of compensating the provincial councils for any loss of revenue suffered by them.

Rossfan

The Provincials are to be retained under the reported proposal(s).
14 " Tier 1" teams  in the last 16 with Cork (Provincial finalists beat Limerick) and Offaly ( beat Sligo and London) the 2 Tier 2 interlopers.
Monaghan and Fermanagh the 2 Tier 1 casualties.

BennyCake

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 23, 2019, 05:34:01 PM
Put Dublin in Tier 1.

Everyone else in tier 2.

Why not just throw Dublin out of the championship? It would be a great competition then.

twohands!!!

Quote from: BennyCake on June 23, 2019, 08:21:28 PM
Put Dublin in Tier 1.

Everyone else in tier 2.

Why not just throw Dublin out of the championship? It would be a great competition then.

3 tier competition

Dublin in Tier 1
15 teams in Tier 2
17 teams in Tier 3

Rossfan

Dublin could play nobody in the Tier 1 Final before 82,300.
They've told us for years that Dublin can fill Croke Park on their own.
35,000 if them must have stayed outside in the concourse today ;D

lenny

Put Dublin in Tier 1.

Everyone else in tier 2.

Every division 4 team out of the championship by 23rd june. They'd have all been out 2 weeks ago if they hadn't had decent draws. Only 3 division 3 sides left and they're going out next weekend. The championship really is an irrelevance to those sides, they've nothing to play for. Why not tier the competition so that teams can develop by having more meaningful games. On a side note I saw leitrim hurlers on the sunday game, that has to be a first.

shark

Quote from: lenny on June 24, 2019, 07:49:47 AM
Put Dublin in Tier 1.

Everyone else in tier 2.

Every division 4 team out of the championship by 23rd june. They'd have all been out 2 weeks ago if they hadn't had decent draws. Only 3 division 3 sides left and they're going out next weekend. The championship really is an irrelevance to those sides, they've nothing to play for. Why not tier the competition so that teams can develop by having more meaningful games. On a side note I saw leitrim hurlers on the sunday game, that has to be a first.

You spoke too soon on the division 3 teams going out next weekend. Just like Spillane saying Meath have no chance in their next game, without knowing the draw.