Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

QuoteMagpie Seanie bleating on about Leitrim fans not supporting Sligo

Grow up!

Solo Run

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 16, 2008, 04:28:42 PM

Grow up!

Chill. Just stating what what you are like on this thread, nothing to do with growing up. Still shouting for Sligo anyway, Sligeach Abu!! ;D ;D

Rossfan

Quote from: Solo Run on June 16, 2008, 04:03:47 PM
Galway fans you meet at matches do tend to be friendly and knowledgeable, quality over quantity perhaps. Ros take note ;D ;D. (Might be on thin ice here

You are ya b*****. ;D
I'm glad ye got bet. ;D :P
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Galforever

QuoteDoherty to stay in goal. Think he has looked very steady this year.

Fitzy, Hanley and Burke for the full-back line. Fitzy back would be a help. Hanley seems to have awful trouble with Maxwell but generally he has done fine apart from that. Damien Burke seems to be not quite on the form of the past couple of years but I'd give him another chance.

Not sure about sticking with Burke. He was so far off the pace yesterday. It depends how hes going in training. Still very concerned by Bradshaw though

QuoteDeccie, Coyne and Sice in the half-back line. Blake doesn't look like he'll recover from his injury troubles at this stage and yesterday Mullahy was not as impressive as he was in the league which raises concerns about his mobility when the ground gets harder.

People are being a bit hard on Mullahy. He stuck to his man and played most of the second half at corner back (where he was actually tighter on his man than Hanley or Sice) but I would be keen to bring Coyne (or Blake) back in. Far too much in front of our full back line

QuoteCullinane has to play. Only physically imposing midfielder we have. Coleman has probably done enough to get a spot beside him. Lydon after a couple of good showings in the league has been anonymous in the last two games.

Yeah, Lydon was very lucky to get a 2nd chance aginst Leitrim. He didnt take it so we are left with Cullinane & Colemen

QuoteI'd stick with Conroy, PJ and Nicky for the half-forward line. Fair enough the game passed Conroy by yesterday a little but he'll be better for the experience.

Agree again here. Conroy was a little unlucky to be taken off. He didnt do much but he probably deserved to stay on for a few more minutes.

QuoteFull-forward line of Clancy, Meehan and Bane. Breathnach's hard work can't continue to cover up his lack of actual ability. Bane may not work as hard but at least he knows where the posts are..

Would rather see Bane used a a sub. He seems to bang over the scores when he comes on but when he starts, hes always the first to be taken off!

GaillimhIarthair

Always start your best 15 and based on yesterday, Bane will be in the pre match parade next day out...............

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Solo Run on June 16, 2008, 04:58:03 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on June 16, 2008, 04:28:42 PM

Grow up!

Chill. Just stating what what you are like on this thread, nothing to do with growing up. Still shouting for Sligo anyway, Sligeach Abu!! ;D ;D

To be honest its always nice to hear other counties supporting us, hopefully rossfan will follow your example solo run ;). But only when it is genuine. Its purely based on the individual though as seanie said alot hated us winning last yr and that is true but alot were genuinely delighted.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Duine Eile

Agree with what most of what's been said about the Galway performance. Played well at some stages but have the players and ability to do better in future games. Another display like that and Mayo/Sligo will walk away with the cup on July 13th. Midfield is a disaster area, and it's putting severe pressure on an already shaky defence. Anyone any suggestions on who could be brought in? I'll get the ball rolling, our own Micheal Keane was one of our best players in last year's championship and he had the upper hand on Lydon last day against Moycullen. Big lump of a lad, 6 foot 5 at least, brother of Alan Keane. (No jokes please ::))Any others?

Galforever

QuoteAlways start your best 15 and based on yesterday, Bane will be in the pre match parade next day out...............

You miss my point. A starting Cormac Bane will not be as good as he was the last day. Therefore, its not your best 15.

QuoteAgree with what most of what's been said about the Galway performance. Played well at some stages but have the players and ability to do better in future games. Another display like that and Mayo/Sligo will walk away with the cup on July 13th. Midfield is a disaster area, and it's putting severe pressure on an already shaky defence. Anyone any suggestions on who could be brought in? I'll get the ball rolling, our own Micheal Keane was one of our best players in last year's championship and he had the upper hand on Lydon last day against Moycullen. Big lump of a lad, 6 foot 5 at least, brother of Alan Keane. (No jokes please )Any others?

Brian Conneely from Barna could be worth a look. Interesting that you chose Keane. I dont know much about him but isnt Tom Hughes already on the panel? Is Keane better than him? If not, then there is not much sense in bringing him in.

Duine Eile

Quote from: Galforever on June 17, 2008, 10:20:11 AM
Brian Conneely from Barna could be worth a look. Interesting that you chose Keane. I dont know much about him but isnt Tom Hughes already on the panel? Is Keane better than him? If not, then there is not much sense in bringing him in.
Yeah big Tom is there alright but to be honest I think Micheal is the better footballer. He's a bit more mobile and he's a decent passer of the ball,not afraid to take responsibility either, he scored the levelling point in our game against Moycullen and he's more than held his own against most of the midfielders on the county panel at the moment (in club games obviously). I'll put it this way, he's no worse than what's there already (ie Lydon, Cullinane, Tom Hughes), I'm not saying he's the answer to our problems now or anything, just think it'd be interesting to see how he's get on at county level. What's this Conneely lad like? Don't think I've seen him play.

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: Galforever on June 17, 2008, 10:20:11 AM
QuoteAlways start your best 15 and based on yesterday, Bane will be in the pre match parade next day out...............

You miss my point. A starting Cormac Bane will not be as good as he was the last day. Therefore, its not your best 15.

I unserstand your entirely Gal, but he has earned the right to be in the first 15 based on his impact the last day.  As to whether he will be as good or not, well we will just have to wait and see.  He didnt do too bad when starting v Mayo in Salthill last year  ;) Put it this way, right now he is ahead of Breathnach, Armstrong, Dunleavy and probably Conroy in the pecking order for the Connacht Final.

Duine Eile

Isn't Dunleavy injured? Thought I heard he got injured during a game for Kilkerrin/Clonberne before the Leitrim match.

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: Duine Eile on June 17, 2008, 11:50:34 AM
Isn't Dunleavy injured? Thought I heard he got injured during a game for Kilkerrin/Clonberne before the Leitrim match.
I think your right DE.  The lad has had some terrible luck these past few years with injuries, which is a pity as he is a very decent footballer and seemed to be coming into form towarss the end of the league with good performances v mayo and Kerry.  Hopefully its nothing too serious.

Galforever

QuoteI'll put it this way, he's no worse than what's there already (ie Lydon, Cullinane, Tom Hughes), I'm not saying he's the answer to our problems now or anything, just think it'd be interesting to see how he's get on at county level.

Well, the more ideas we have at midfield, the better!

QuoteWhat's this Conneely lad like? Don't think I've seen him play.
He played underage for Galway a few years ago in the half-forward line. I have seen him a few times this year for Barna at midfield and he impressed me a lot. He wouldnt have a hughe physique like Cullinane though. Im not sure he would be up to it at inter county level but like GaillimhIarthair I think that he is probably not far off the level of players already in there.. I think Sammon needs to be very open minded about bringing in players like this to see if he can come up with somebody.

QuoteIsn't Dunleavy injured? Thought I heard he got injured during a game for Kilkerrin/Clonberne before the Leitrim match.

The connacht tribune reported that he broke a bone in his foot and it is now in a plaster.

myball22

It's all got a sense of deja vu about it really...

Good league form -check
Struggle to beat Leitrim -check
Hopeless at midfield -check
50/50 with Mayo in Connacht Final -check
Probably unable to win All-Ireland Quarter Fianl (or previous qualifier game) -check

I think we have progressed very little in the last year contrary to the local opinion. It seems that we keep coming back to the same players, Comer coming on for example the last day and it is very hard to see us make a breakthrough with the same set of players
that haven't in the last few years.

At present if we meet Mayo in the Connacht Final we will be destroyed at midfield and we would be very unlikely
to win it in that case.

Galforever

QuoteComer coming on for example the last day and it is very hard to see us make a breakthrough with the same set of players

In fairness, Comer only came on after we lost Coyne, Fitzgerald, Blake & Damien Burke!