Started by lawnseed, December 05, 2013, 09:11:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tubberman

Quote from: NAG1 on December 05, 2013, 02:29:13 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on December 05, 2013, 02:18:03 PM
Quote from: bailestil on December 05, 2013, 01:15:02 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on December 05, 2013, 10:54:26 AM
Quote from: bailestil on December 05, 2013, 10:50:48 AM
seems we can't pay online as it will cost Coleraine 200 jobs.
To find the Phone Number to pay by debit card you need to do serious digging about.
02870341514 for anyone not wanting to stand in a queue.
Ridiculous that you can't pay online.

Ridiculous keeping 200 families in employment in these times, heaven forbid. To save you two seconds finding the number for the same end result.

We should be fighting to keep every job that is out there at the minute.

What sort of world do you think we live in?
Should Builders no longer employ diggers. Sure they have taken the work of 10 men and allowed 1 man to do it. Its called progress.

Who do you think is paying for all this? the Money has to come from somewhere!
I'm certain it could be better spent elsewhere.

And ban in the internet while you're at it. Then this Online Banking malarky would be dead, and the banks could employ thousands more people to serve the queues at the desks. And ban the mobile phone too and direct connection landlines. That way more telephonists could be employed in the exchanges to connect phone calls. And ban washing machines and dishwashers and vacuum cleaners, that way we can all employ housemaids, or get that lazy wife to earn her keep.

Taking it a bit far Tubber but i get your point.

My point is as stated before these are jobs already in place, government jobs which we are paying for one way or the other through taxes. My view is I would rather see them employed and contributing to the local economy than on the dole and becoming a drain on society. To me that is just economics, not on for going backwards just that I would like to see more people employed in our locality, buying goods and services from other local business employing more local people to do so, than having burnt our shells of sprawling estates with no hopers and dole jockeys.

But maybe I am an idealist

Ah no, I get your point alright. But I don't think keeping people in 'redundant' jobs for the sake of it is helping the economy in the long-term. In the short term it keeps these people off the dole queues, but the country gets left behind other countries in terms of technology and innovation. Better to attract FDI or indigenous industry in sustainable sectors.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

armaghniac

The Internet payment of things, especially motor tax, is one of the aspects of ROI admin that deserves at least some praise.

That there is no internet motor tax in the 6 counties is a testimony to the profound uselessness of the local politicians and if this tax disc less arrangement comes about at least this will have to addressed. The idea that an inefficient setup is kept in place to keep some jobsworths in a job is is indicative of the sickness of the sick counties and some of the defence of this here is bizarre, even by Gaaboard non-GAA section standards. These bureaucratic procedures should be run as efficiently as possible, to reduce the cost of government. With the resources released the government can do something actually useful and provide jobs that way, this might be repairing roads in the case of motor tax but also special needs assistants, home helps etc.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

lawnseed

Quote from: Tubberman on December 05, 2013, 02:47:19 PM
To find the Phone Number to pay by debit card you need to do serious digging about.

Ridiculous keeping 200 families in employment in these times, heaven forbid. To save you two seconds finding the number for the same end result.

Should Builders no longer employ diggers. Sure they have taken the work of 10 men and allowed 1 man to do it. Its called progress.

And ban in the internet while you're at it. Then this Online Banking malarky would be dead, and the banks could employ thousands more people to serve the queues at the desks. And ban the mobile phone too and direct connection landlines. That way more telephonists could be employed in the exchanges to connect phone calls. And ban washing machines and dishwashers and vacuum cleaners, that way we can all employ housemaids, or get that lazy wife to earn her keep.

My point is as stated before these are jobs already in place, government jobs which we are paying for one way or the other through taxes. My view is I would rather see them employed and contributing to the local economy than on the dole and becoming a drain on society. To me that is just economics, not on for going backwards just that I would like to see more people employed in our locality, buying goods and services from other local business employing more local people to do so, than having burnt our shells of sprawling estates with no hopers and dole jockeys.

Ah no, I get your point alright. But I don't think keeping people in 'redundant' jobs for the sake of it is helping the economy in the long-term. In the short term it keeps these people off the dole queues, but the country gets left behind other countries in terms of technology and innovation. Better to attract FDI or indigenous industry in sustainable sectors.
or drop our taxes and steal a few jobs from our neighbours. ;)
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

NAG1

Quote from: Tubberman on December 05, 2013, 02:47:19 PM

Economics of the current situation means that the economy has to be propped up until the innovation and creative sectors can build back up again to offer these types of people jobs!

So we are in agreement Im not for holding innovation back by any means, but I know the effect of just dumping jobs can have not only on the families involved but the local area and people depending on the spin off opportunities.

armaghniac

QuoteSo we are in agreement Im not for holding innovation back by any means, but I know the effect of just dumping jobs can have not only on the families involved but the local area and people depending on the spin off opportunities.

Keep the people in employment if you wish, but get them to do something that needs doing rather than something a computer can do!

NAG1

Quote from: armaghniac on December 05, 2013, 03:25:29 PM
QuoteSo we are in agreement Im not for holding innovation back by any means, but I know the effect of just dumping jobs can have not only on the families involved but the local area and people depending on the spin off opportunities.

Keep the people in employment if you wish, but get them to do something that needs doing rather than something a computer can do!

Well that would be a better solution all round, but that would take joined up government thinking to do so, something that we are sadly lacking!

armaghniac

Watch out for the ANPR cameras
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&t=h&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=217547757041314517647.0004a03ad9fbe9f40a116

although presumably the sick counties will keep the discs to keep the folks in Coleraine in work.

BennyCake

Cold tea

Quote from: armaghniac on December 06, 2013, 01:06:03 AM
Watch out for the ANPR cameras
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&t=h&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=217547757041314517647.0004a03ad9fbe9f40a116

although presumably the sick counties will keep the discs to keep the folks in Coleraine in work.

Sure it would be ridiculous to do anything else.  ::)

HiMucker

your details have to be identical from the last time you taxed.  If you change insurance companies, car etc, then you have to go to the tax/post office.  Archaic system altogether in this day and age.