Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Insane Bolt

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 06, 2018, 04:31:12 PM
Quote from: Insane Bolt on November 05, 2018, 07:05:26 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46095169

Abuse is ok as long as it's directed at Fenians😡

Seriously though - I understand anti-Irish abuse is a crime in the UK. Surely the perpetrators should be easily identifiable in a soccer stadium and dealt with appropriately?

Well let's consider this.....John Taylor calls Varadkar.....'typical Indian'.....nothing happens
Sponsored burning of effigies and anything remotely Nationalist every year.....nothing happens
Sectarian abuse and death threats to McClean and Lennon.....nothing happens
Don't forget that up until recently the Head of State couldn't marry a Catholic.....they can now....but they themselves can't be a Catholic........now imagine if instead of Catholic it was Jew or Protestant or Muslim. You couldn't make it up but now you know why the Tories and DUP are made for each other.

red hander

Quote from: trailer on November 06, 2018, 03:39:36 PM
Heaps of Irish men died in both World Wars. They should be remembered.
The Poppy has almost become a toxic symbol because of Poppy Fascists. I am fairly certain the RBL never wanted that to be the case.

Interesting that you were expected to wear a Poppy as part of the 'British Values' agenda. As a very quick thought if you live in lets say Saudia Arabia are you expected to wear the traditional dress etc? Then we have the Burka debate. Are we tolerant of other peoples views? Even when they bring them to our own doorstep?

The British Legion's stance is that wearing the thing should be personal choice. But it must be more proactive in putting that message out to the uneducated cavemen. So-called nationalists in the media should grow a set also and refuse to wear one on camera (apart from Frank Mitchell, of course, who loves an oul poppy as much as he loves changing his name to make it more acceptable to his unionist employers)

Orior

Quote from: red hander on November 06, 2018, 11:16:53 PM
Quote from: trailer on November 06, 2018, 03:39:36 PM
Heaps of Irish men died in both World Wars. They should be remembered.
The Poppy has almost become a toxic symbol because of Poppy Fascists. I am fairly certain the RBL never wanted that to be the case.

Interesting that you were expected to wear a Poppy as part of the 'British Values' agenda. As a very quick thought if you live in lets say Saudia Arabia are you expected to wear the traditional dress etc? Then we have the Burka debate. Are we tolerant of other peoples views? Even when they bring them to our own doorstep?

The British Legion's stance is that wearing the thing should be personal choice. But it must be more proactive in putting that message out to the uneducated cavemen. So-called nationalists in the media should grow a set also and refuse to wear one on camera (apart from Frank Mitchell, of course, who loves an oul poppy as much as he loves changing his name to make it more acceptable to his unionist employers)

He did that to work as a DJ on a border radio station.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: Insane Bolt on November 06, 2018, 05:47:46 PM

Seriously though - I understand anti-Irish abuse is a crime in the UK. Surely the perpetrators should be easily identifiable in a soccer stadium and dealt with appropriately?

Well let's consider this.....John Taylor calls Varadkar.....'typical Indian'.....nothing happens
Sponsored burning of effigies and anything remotely Nationalist every year.....nothing happens
Don't forget that up until recently the Head of State couldn't marry a Catholic.....they can now....but they themselves can't be a Catholic........now imagine if instead of Catholic it was Jew or Protestant or Muslim. You couldn't make it up but now you know why the Tories and DUP are made for each other.

I don't think the UK monarch could be Jewish or Muslim, or anything other than Church of England.  The monarch is head of the Church of England, so presumably has to be part of that religion in order to be able to function in that capacity.  I don't think that particular policy is anti-Catholic as such.  Any more than saying that a Presbyterian couldn't be pope.

armaghniac

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on November 07, 2018, 01:43:55 AM

I don't think the UK monarch could be Jewish or Muslim, or anything other than Church of England.  The monarch is head of the Church of England, so presumably has to be part of that religion in order to be able to function in that capacity.  I don't think that particular policy is anti-Catholic as such.  Any more than saying that a Presbyterian couldn't be pope.

Of course it is anti Catholic, the monarch shouldn't be running a church.
The UK is a sectarian state, they burn effigies of a Catholic at this time of year.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Insane Bolt

Up until relatively recently...2011 I think....the head of state could NOT marry a Catholic......if that's not anti- Catholic then I don't know what is in your world.

LooseCannon

Quote from: Insane Bolt on November 07, 2018, 07:10:51 AM

Up until relatively recently...2011 I think....the head of state could NOT marry a Catholic......if that's not anti- Catholic then I don't know what is in your world.

Wasn't there a thing that the PM couldn't be Catholic either? (It's more than likely changed since, but still)

Insane Bolt

Quote from: LooseCannon on November 07, 2018, 07:14:19 AM

Wasn't there a thing that the PM couldn't be Catholic either? (It's more than likely changed since, but still)

Well there hasn't been one so far.....maybe why a certain Jacob Rees-Mogg keeps distancing himself from Tory leadership. Blair converted after he left office. The problem arises because a PM would be advising the Queen or Head of State on secular appointments within the Church of England.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on November 05, 2018, 09:45:08 PM
I think he was foolish to use a Bobby Sands quote in his defence. It allows for distraction and arguments about whether Sands was a terrorist etc.. Also using the word **** was inappropriate.

Apart from that he is 1,000% correct to call this bigotry out for what it is.

/Jim.
Why? this is the type of crap that still goes on in NI, its ok for Unionism to laude its various military and paramilitary icons but don't let Mc Clean quote Bobby Sands lest he offend sensitive ears.

Jell 0 Biafra

Did I say that wasn't anti-Catholic?

Main Street

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 07, 2018, 11:18:53 AM
I think he was foolish to use a Bobby Sands quote in his defence. It allows for distraction and arguments about whether Sands was a terrorist etc.. Also using the word **** was inappropriate.

/Jim.
Why? this is the type of crap that still goes on in NI, its ok for Unionism to laude its various military and paramilitary icons but don't let Mc Clean quote Bobby Sands lest he offend sensitive ears.
To the English, Bobby Sands might as well be some historical figure, an ancient Irish rebel like Tom Clarke, he died over 35 years ago. 

The Independent uk  reported   
"Late on Saturday night, McClean, who was also booed by some home fans, responded by quoting Bobby Sands, a member of the Provisional IRA and MP for Fermanagh and South Tyrone, who infamously died in 1981 on hunger strike while imprisoned in Northern Ireland."
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken," McClean wrote, quoting Sands.

The Mirror also treated the incident quite fairly, quoting McClean's reasons for not wearing the poppy and complete with pictures and videos of hordes of cavemen going mental at the end of that football match.

marty34

James Mc Clean has gone seriously up in my estimation - pity a few more 'Irish' people wouldn't join him - instead of keeping their heads down!!

tiempo

Quote from: marty34 on November 08, 2018, 12:42:56 AM
James Mc Clean has gone seriously up in my estimation - pity a few more 'Irish' people wouldn't join him - instead of keeping their heads down!!

Yep. His approach might be a bit un-nuanced for some but its holding up a mirror to the neanderthals and poppy fascists and raising the question of inherent British racist attitudes towards the Irish and also the spectre of British colonial conquest and oppression of Ireland. Quite an achievement.

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 07, 2018, 11:18:53 AM

/Jim.

Because, when you want to make a point, I always believe less is more.  Highlight the poppy fascism and sheer racism involved you stick to that only.  Throwing in the quote gives people a chance to start a side bar discussion: "One man's freedom fighter", "Is he an IRA supporter", "Is that why he won't wear the poppy".

James made excellent arguments in his letter to Wigan a few year's back.  I believe he is best served to stick to those points, no distractions.

That shows these goons up.

/Jim.

red hander

Fair play to Tracey Magee, refusing to wear a poppy on UTV Live... girl has more balls than Frankie Fuckwit and all those other west Brits on UTV and local BBC