Should Crozier remain in charge for another term?

Started by Oak Leafer, August 24, 2007, 01:17:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oak Leafer

Just wondered what the consenus was with supporters in Derry?

I am in disbelief that the Derry County Board don't realise that Derry have the genuine quality to mount a challenge for SAM, and that they seem to be so content with what i see as inadequacies within the Management set-up.
We need somebody that is very astute along the line ( someone who can influence a game in a positive way by seein when and where to make changes ). Someone who will bring a professional approach to squad( I still maintain our County team are still a long way of the likes of Tyrone and Armagh as regards both physical and mental preparation ).
There is no doubt the talent is in Derry. Chances of winning All-Irelands appear not too often in Derry, therefore why jeopardise a very realistic opportunity?
If u were hiring a manager to run your business, would you hold onto someone 'not up to it', just to be mannerly?
The point i want to make here is that surely the supporters in Derry realise the massive mistake the county board are about to make, and surely something can be done to slavage what could be a disaster?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Oak Leafer on August 24, 2007, 01:17:33 AM
I am in disbelief that the Derry County Board don't realise that Derry have the genuine quality to mount a challenge for SAM...

I'm in disbelief that you're in disbelief!  :P
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

new devil

Are you serious? yous are as far away from winning sam as yous were 4 years ago

Hardy

Further. Then it was ten years. Now it's fourteen. Unless there's a new litter of Tohills.

screenexile

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 24, 2007, 01:20:22 AM
I am in disbelief that the Derry County Board don't realise that Derry have the genuine quality to mount a challenge for SAM...

What are you on about? It is without question that Derry have genuine quality! Did you watch the Dublin match? How many outstanding performers were from the Dublin team? Yet they are being tipped as favourites for the AI and have been up there since the start of the year. A bit of experience and belief in our team and we won't be too far away next year!

As for Crozier. I'm still undecided if he is the man to lead us but I think the heroics of the latter part of our season mean he should be allowed to decide his own fate. As PH mentioned in yesterday's IN, we can't have another scenarion where our CB got rid of Coleman after an All Ireland win and when they got rid of Moran in '95 and 2004!

Will Hunting

Quote from: screenexile on August 24, 2007, 09:35:21 AM
As PH mentioned in yesterday's IN, we can't have another scenarion where our CB got rid of Coleman after an All Ireland win and when they got rid of Moran in '95 and 2004!

What was the problem in getting rid of Moran in 2005? He had three years - three poor enough years at that.

As for Crozier, earlier this year I was convinced that this would/should be his last. But if you had asked any Derry supporter at the beginning of the year what the team's objectives should be for the season, a place in NFL Division 1 next season as well as an All-Ireland q-final appearance may have been the absolute pinnacle of ambition. Surely this would have been Crozier's 'brief' at the beginning of the season, and whatever way you look at it he achieved that.

Therefore, my mind has probably changed on the length of his tenure. I feel that despite not being wholly convincing as a manager (either within a game or as a man-manager), Derry made a great improvement this year, and this should be allowed to continue onto next year. The Monaghan game was a watershed for the season. The team for that game had 3/4 players missing that should have been playing. Coupled with umpteen errors (and i'm talking about 4 or 5 times were Derry defenders literally handed the ball to a Monaghan player for them to score a point), Derry did well to only come out with a 2-point defeat against a team who could/should have beaten Tyrone and Kerry. Crozier made the necessary changes for the qualifiers, and it was a team transformed. I believe that if this Cork team can contest All-Ireland Finals, then so can Derry!

There is still a conflict in my support for Crozier though, in that more could be got out of this team. But, as usual, we are not exactly coming down with managers capable of doing a better job.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 24, 2007, 01:20:22 AM

What are you on about?

QED SE, QED...
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Will Hunting on August 24, 2007, 10:06:54 AM
As PH mentioned in yesterday's IN, we can't have another scenarion where our CB got rid of Coleman after an All Ireland win and when they got rid of Moran in '95 and 2004!

What was the problem in getting rid of Moran in 2005? He had three years - three poor enough years at that.

As for Crozier, earlier this year I was convinced that this would/should be his last. But if you had asked any Derry supporter at the beginning of the year what the team's objectives should be for the season, a place in NFL Division 1 next season as well as an All-Ireland q-final appearance may have been the absolute pinnacle of ambition. Surely this would have been Crozier's 'brief' at the beginning of the season, and whatever way you look at it he achieved that.

Therefore, my mind has probably changed on the length of his tenure. I feel that despite not being wholly convincing as a manager (either within a game or as a man-manager), Derry made a great improvement this year, and this should be allowed to continue onto next year. The Monaghan game was a watershed for the season. The team for that game had 3/4 players missing that should have been playing. Coupled with umpteen errors (and i'm talking about 4 or 5 times were Derry defenders literally handed the ball to a Monaghan player for them to score a point), Derry did well to only come out with a 2-point defeat against a team who could/should have beaten Tyrone and Kerry. Crozier made the necessary changes for the qualifiers, and it was a team transformed. I believe that if this Cork team can contest All-Ireland Finals, then so can Derry!

There is still a conflict in my support for Crozier though, in that more could be got out of this team. But, as usual, we are not exactly coming down with managers capable of doing a better job.

I think thats the problem, who else can Derry appoint. McIver is back with Donegal and he is the only realistic man that could bring Derry on from their current position. The rest of the former Derry play now turned manager brigade still dont convince me.
Joe Kernan the only other 'attractive' and qusi-realistic candidate, maybe Grimley also.
But a lot depends on the county board and their cheque book in relation to their desire to win.

I'm not convinced that they are convinced. We know Derry have the talent, and it is talent alone that got Derry to the AI q-final.
If the county board were serious, they would begin to make enquires and also start fundraising - if they are that cash strapped.

imo a good run of results on the back of the players clicking, positional changes being enforced on the side and then it was realised that a gameplan had been stumbled upon (as opposed to being planned).
It glosses over the huge inadequcies of the manager , but the final shot in the foot to remind us of our team leaders clouseau-like qualities , was to substitute a willing and able MOTM (first half) Paul Murphy at half time in an All Ireland QF.
You would find it hard to see such cutting edge incompetence anywhere else (unless the fai or governmental departments).

lynchbhoy

Quote from: 5iveTimes on August 24, 2007, 10:56:45 AM
After the Monaghan game everyone was calling for Croziers head, a few good results later and the same people were calling for him to be given another year. Winning an Ulster title should be Derrys priority, before thinking about an All Ireland,
if we could get an alternative, I'd drive Paddy away myself.
Plenty of teams have won the AI via the back door.
Id take an ulster title -which is def achieveable - and also obv an AI - which I also think is possible, Luck plays a huge part in it. Derry, Sligo and meath were all Q-finalists this year so it shows that on any given day , teams with momentum from the qualifiers could sneak in and steal it- not certain, but the chance is always there.
Im long past calling for Paddys head.

Will Hunting

Potential managers (a moot point given that Crozier will continue, but anyway):

Kernan: not a viable potential manager for me. Did he not say that he wouldn't manage another county team? And even if he did, i'd say he'd want to keep out of Ulster.

Grimley: not interested in Derry

McIver: back with Donegal by the looks of it, and more interested in the Tyrone job than Derry. We can't be having that.

Boylan: past it maybe

McHugh: possibly the best manager we could have. But i think he hates us for some reason, and wouldn't be interested in managing us. He is probably holding out until Donegal have decent potential in his eyes.

Cassidy: the only manager worth trying from within the county, and i believe he will be Derry's next manager.

Deal_Me_In

What are you on about? It is without question that Derry have genuine quality! Did you watch the Dublin match? How many outstanding performers were from the Dublin team?

This is exactly the point. Dublin did not have anyone who was outstanding with the exception of perhaps Brendan Brogan but they still managed to beat a Derry team who played at 75-80% of their capabilities.

Maximus Marillius

I am of the firm opinion which was the same after the monaghan game that he should go.  We were beaten last year comprehensively by donegal and this year by monaghan in the Ulster championship...tactics and team attitude really poor. This was when he had the chance to reallly prepare the team, stamp his own personality and style on the team....the team performace was just terrible on those two days. In last years qualifiers we got beat by LONGFORD ffs and this year we certainly improved in the qualifiers, but I really believe that the bad manners the players took after the monaghan game was the catalist for the season transforming,,,they beat armagh..the performance was forced out of them...6 days later mayo, Crozier had absolutely no time with the team for either match, due club championship games in derry, the next thing we know we have an immenently beatable Laios team to beat for us to get playing Dublin in the quater finals...the team is on a role ...its all momentum. Credit to Crozier in making positonal changes to improve the team, but why did it take 18 months for him to see them. Nice man no doubt but he does not have the venom needed for this level. This county board need to make the right decision to progress the team. i believe we have the talent within the county to appoint a manger. Lynchboy you cannot offer an opinion on managers in derry the same way you cannot offer an opinion on club players within derry ....why..because you never see them in action 98% of the time.

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Will Hunting

So Max, who would you like to see in the management seat??

Actually, i've no need to ask  ;)

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on August 24, 2007, 04:33:31 PM. Lynchboy you cannot offer an opinion on managers in derry the same way you cannot offer an opinion on club players within derry ....why..because you never see them in action 98% of the time.
I can offer up an opinion on who gets the county managers job, as they should NOT be some novice intercounty manager, Derry needs a man with intercounty managerial experience.
eg Cassidy has not covered himself in glory with cavan , and until he proves himself in the intercounty managerial stakes, he is obv unproven and not what we need right now with such a panel of great talent (glad to see you have at last realised this BTQ)
So yes I dont see too many club games, and I also dont want to see a mere club manager taking this current Derry side therefore I am at no disadvantage by not seeing club football. I think my view on what /who should be managing the side is valid.

ziggy, my opinion on crozier as Derry boss was formed before he was even appointed the job, and I have never deviated from this stance.