Sam Maguire Group 1 - Kerry, Louth, Mayo, Cork

Started by GAABoardMod5, May 23, 2023, 08:24:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GAABoardMod5

May 20th   Kerry v Mayo, Fitzgerald Stadium, 3pm, GAAGO
May 27th   Louth vs Cork, Páirc Tailteann, 3pm

Jun 3rd   Cork v Kerry, Páirc Uí Chaoimh, 3pm (GAAGO)
June 4th   Mayo vs Louth, MacHale Park, 2pm (RTÉ)

June 17/18   Kerry v Louth, TBD
June 17/18   Mayo v Cork, TBD

seafoid

Kerry will be playing either Dublin, Galway or Derry in the quarter finals. Mayo had a huge win.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

trailer

Kerry all at sea having to play competitive games in May. Can't cope not having to stick 20 points on Limerick or Clare before Cork roll over in some nonsense final.

seafoid

Last year it was Kerry's turn to win an all Ireland based on previous experience . This a normal all Ireland winning outfit. Compared to that Dublin team. Maybe similar to Tyrone.
Very hard to back it up this year.

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/2023/05/24/darragh-o-se-kerry-need-major-reconstructive-surgery-to-deny-cork-redemption/

The way Kerry played lacked any cohesion. They weren't just a little bit off it. They were well off it. Second to everything, right from the bloody throw-in.

There were so many telltale signs, all over the field. Early on Jack Barry was dispossessed and he looked at the referee, as if asking for some sympathy. That's not the answer. The answer is to win the next ball, be every bit as aggressive, if not more so. There were a few more of those moments throughout the game.

Sizing up any team, in any proper championship match like that, you need nine or 10 of your players to perform close to their best to get over the line. Mayo had at least that many. Realistically, Kerry only had three or four. Shane Ryan, the Clifford brothers, and maybe Paul Geaney in the second half.

Kerry were expecting things to happen, Mayo made things happen. If you took out David Clifford, Paudie too, Kerry could have lost by 10 or 12 points. Easily. That's why you'd have to compliment David, again. When Kerry really needed the goals, he had three successive shots for goals.

Someone asked me was he selfish? He absolutely wasn't selfish. Kerry needed someone to bring them back into the game, he was single-handedly trying to do that. Had he got one of those goals, Kerry might just have got back into it.

Mayo were by far the better team, even though that didn't show on the scoreboard. Now, they aren't the finished article yet. They still have some flaws. It's certainly not the same old Mayo, and the goal they eventually got, from Eoghan McLaughlin, was excellently taken. If Mayo were properly clinical, they should have had two or three goals well before that.

The chances they did get were left behind. I don't think they were as decisive as Dublin would be, given those same chances. Or even Galway, for that matter.

Mayo's point-taking was exceptional. They've obviously done a lot of work on kicking from distance. Then again there was no great heat on them when kicking either, another big let-down from a Kerry point of view.

Mayo are also enjoying their football, you can see that. Kevin McStay is knocking a great tune out of them.

Blowitupref

Quote from: seafoid on May 24, 2023, 11:45:06 AM
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/2023/05/24/darragh-o-se-kerry-need-major-reconstructive-surgery-to-deny-cork-redemption/

The way Kerry played lacked any cohesion. They weren't just a little bit off it. They were well off it. Second to everything, right from the bloody throw-in.

There were so many telltale signs, all over the field. Early on Jack Barry was dispossessed and he looked at the referee, as if asking for some sympathy. That's not the answer. The answer is to win the next ball, be every bit as aggressive, if not more so. There were a few more of those moments throughout the game.

Sizing up any team, in any proper championship match like that, you need nine or 10 of your players to perform close to their best to get over the line. Mayo had at least that many. Realistically, Kerry only had three or four. Shane Ryan, the Clifford brothers, and maybe Paul Geaney in the second half.

Kerry were expecting things to happen, Mayo made things happen. If you took out David Clifford, Paudie too, Kerry could have lost by 10 or 12 points. Easily. That's why you'd have to compliment David, again. When Kerry really needed the goals, he had three successive shots for goals.

Someone asked me was he selfish? He absolutely wasn't selfish. Kerry needed someone to bring them back into the game, he was single-handedly trying to do that. Had he got one of those goals, Kerry might just have got back into it.

Mayo were by far the better team, even though that didn't show on the scoreboard. Now, they aren't the finished article yet. They still have some flaws. It's certainly not the same old Mayo, and the goal they eventually got, from Eoghan McLaughlin, was excellently taken. If Mayo were properly clinical, they should have had two or three goals well before that.

The chances they did get were left behind. I don't think they were as decisive as Dublin would be, given those same chances. Or even Galway, for that matter.

Mayo's point-taking was exceptional. They've obviously done a lot of work on kicking from distance. Then again there was no great heat on them when kicking either, another big let-down from a Kerry point of view.

Mayo are also enjoying their football, you can see that. Kevin McStay is knocking a great tune out of them.

Majority of Mayo's scores was in the range from scores would be expected but the Kerry defence did give Mayo shooters plenty of space and time to kick those scores.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

larryin89

What is the reason we can't be informed as supporters where and when the third rd games will take place ?
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Blowitupref

Pat Spillane.

Kerry have now put themselves in a difficult position, in which they will now have to play an additional game - potentially against a strong opponent - in order to progress to the last eight, in a situation which they had hoped to avoid:

Jack O'Connor made no secret of the fact that he wanted to go the direct route. Now, almost certainly, once they win that one match or two, they'll be going in through the preliminary route. They will be going in the preliminary route, I can't see Mayo being beaten.

If they come second, they've home advantage - that's fine. But that means that Mayo will have a week's rest.

Those teams playing in the preliminary quarter-final will then the following week play the quarter-final, and the following week play the semi-final. Ha! I'll tell you this, if I was a manager, that's tough going.

If Kerry are second and have a home match in Killarney, they've a home match against say Tyrone or Armagh. That's not a gimme.

I'm not writing off Kerry, absolutely not writing off Kerry, but their task got that little bit more difficult since last Saturday.

This is the most open championship that I can remember...maybe somebody said since 2010.

In 2010 the four provincial winners got beaten, and Cork played Down in the final.

Obviously Dublin dominated since then, but I think it's the most open championship. I could pick out about seven counties that I feel have a chance. There's no outstanding team, none at all.

Kerry, Dublin, Derry, I could find flaws in every one of the leading contenders. That's what probably makes this year's championship so intriguing and so open. There are, I believe, seven in with a chance.

Kerry, Dublin, Derry, Mayo, Armagh, Tyrone, Galway...take your pick, in one of the most open All-Ireland football championships in recent memory.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

fearsiuil

Quote from: Blowitupref on May 26, 2023, 05:51:28 PM
Pat Spillane.

Kerry have now put themselves in a difficult position, in which they will now have to play an additional game - potentially against a strong opponent - in order to progress to the last eight, in a situation which they had hoped to avoid:

Jack O'Connor made no secret of the fact that he wanted to go the direct route. Now, almost certainly, once they win that one match or two, they'll be going in through the preliminary route. They will be going in the preliminary route, I can't see Mayo being beaten.

If they come second, they've home advantage - that's fine. But that means that Mayo will have a week's rest.

Those teams playing in the preliminary quarter-final will then the following week play the quarter-final, and the following week play the semi-final. Ha! I'll tell you this, if I was a manager, that's tough going.

If Kerry are second and have a home match in Killarney, they've a home match against say Tyrone or Armagh. That's not a gimme.

I'm not writing off Kerry, absolutely not writing off Kerry, but their task got that little bit more difficult since last Saturday.

This is the most open championship that I can remember...maybe somebody said since 2010.

In 2010 the four provincial winners got beaten, and Cork played Down in the final.

Obviously Dublin dominated since then, but I think it's the most open championship. I could pick out about seven counties that I feel have a chance. There's no outstanding team, none at all.

Kerry, Dublin, Derry, I could find flaws in every one of the leading contenders. That's what probably makes this year's championship so intriguing and so open. There are, I believe, seven in with a chance.

Kerry, Dublin, Derry, Mayo, Armagh, Tyrone, Galway...take your pick, in one of the most open All-Ireland football championships in recent memory.
That article took Pat about 3 minutes to dial in.

Blowitupref

Half time in Navan.  Louth 0-7 Cork 1-8.

Full Time Louth 1-17 Cork 1-19

Louther

Missed the boat today. We'll just have to beat Kerry.

Crete Boom

Mayo (All-Ireland SFC v Louth 4/6/2023):

Colm Reape (Knockmore);
Jack Coyne (Ballyhaunis),
David McBrien (Ballaghaderreen),
Sam Callinan (Ballina Stephenites);
Paddy Durcan (Castlebar Mitchels, captain),
Conor Loftus (Crossmolina Deel Rovers),
Stephen Coen (Hollymount/Carramore);
Matthew Ruane (Breaffy),
Diarmuid O'Connor (Ballintubber);
Fionn McDonagh (Westport),
Jack Carney (Kilmeena),
Jordan Flynn (Crossmolina Deel Rovers);
Aidan O'Shea (Breaffy),
James Carr (Ardagh),
Ryan O'Donoghue (Belmullet).

Subs: Rory Byrne (Castlebar Mitchels), Tommy Conroy (The Neale), Jason Doherty (Burrishoole), Enda Hession (Garrymore), Frank Irwin (Ballina Stephenites), James McCormack (Claremorris), Donnacha McHugh (Castlebar Mitchels), Conor McStay (Ballina Stephenites), Padraig O'Hora (Ballina Stephenites), Paul Towey (Charlestown Sarsfields), Bob Tuohy (Castlebar Mitchels).

larryin89

Could be a more difficult day in castlebar than the bookies suggest . Be a terrible watch with our bucks just squeezing past in the last 15mins when the blanket starts to tire .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

orchardarmy02

What's the story with Rob Hennelly? Has he retired from inter county?

ClubScene13