Predict the winner

Derry
22 (66.7%)
Monaghan
11 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 33

restorepride

Quote from: OakLeaf on May 30, 2023, 03:10:07 PM
I was on the Terrace side, about 30m out from goal and that Monaghan point looked very wide to me. I felt the ref gave some brutal decisions against Derry (like others have pointed out). All of that said, Derry were very flat throughout the game, and seemed unwilling to take some of the attacking chances they had been taking prior to the Ulster final. Monaghan played well and took some great long range points. We were lucky to come out with the draw, truth be told. Great character to come back from the dead though. Hopefully we can push on in Ballybofey. I feel like this Donegal game will have a significant bearing on what the rest of our season will look like.
Done.

OakLeaf

Quote from: restorepride on June 04, 2023, 11:58:16 PM
Done.

Aye, very good performance yesterday. A lot more running hard at the Donegal defence. Something we didn't do against Monaghan. Jesus it was hot on the terrace side. I thought the referee was very fussy .. blew up far too much. I still hate that advance mark. Kicking from 1m outside the 45 into somebody's mid rift, 20m away is still just alien to me. A free kick reward for that! That said, Gallen was fantastic.

JoG2

Quote from: OakLeaf on June 05, 2023, 09:01:58 AM
Done.

Aye, very good performance yesterday. A lot more running hard at the Donegal defence. Something we didn't do against Monaghan. Jesus it was hot on the terrace side. I thought the referee was very fussy .. blew up far too much. I still hate that advance mark. Kicking from 1m outside the 45 into somebody's mid rift, 20m away is still just alien to me. A free kick reward for that! That said, Gallen was fantastic.

I'd say very very few would disagree, yet its there as a rule. Mind blowing

onefineday

Quote from: JoG2 on June 05, 2023, 12:57:11 PM
Done.

Classic case of unintended consequences. Brought in to encourage high fielding, turned into a set play piece for coaches to try and manufacture a score at specific times.  Dublin v Rossies and Armagh v Derry had very similar plays setting up shots for rock and grugan to win their games - both missed.
Is there an argument for retaining it, if it required kicker to be outside the 45 and recipient inside the 20? Or just get rid??
Is David Hasson still chair of that rules committee?

tbrick18

Quote from: onefineday on June 09, 2023, 12:52:05 AM
Quote from: JoG2 on June 05, 2023, 12:57:11 PM
Done.

Classic case of unintended consequences. Brought in to encourage high fielding, turned into a set play piece for coaches to try and manufacture a score at specific times.  Dublin v Rossies and Armagh v Derry had very similar plays setting up shots for rock and grugan to win their games - both missed.
Is there an argument for retaining it, if it required kicker to be outside the 45 and recipient inside the 20? Or just get rid??
Is David Hasson still chair of that rules committee?

Get rid. I don't think it brings anything positive to the game.
Only potential argument for is on kickouts...perhaps retain for kickouts that pass the 45. That might encourage the long high kicks and high fielding a little, but outside of that I think it is detrimental to a game. Slows it down, removes the the 1v1 battles between a forward and defender and as far as entertainment goes (which everyone seems obsessed with) I don't find it entertaining.

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: onefineday on April 30, 2023, 01:06:48 AM
Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on April 29, 2023, 06:52:27 PM
Enjoyed that.

But there isn't a single Monaghan man you wouldn't want playing for Derry.
?

I hope events since that game have somewhat clarified my post. Everyone of them is a warrior.

restorepride

Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on July 03, 2023, 10:07:49 PM
Quote from: onefineday on April 30, 2023, 01:06:48 AM
Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on April 29, 2023, 06:52:27 PM
Enjoyed that.

But there isn't a single Monaghan man you wouldn't want playing for Derry.
?

I hope events since that game have somewhat clarified my post. Everyone of them is a warrior.
NO - I wouldn't want Lavelle, Gallagher, Lennon, Jones nor either Hughes at this stage.  You can only carry so many warriors.

Wildweasel74

restorepride