PayPal

Started by noeldebrun, November 20, 2008, 10:46:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

That's not quite the same as spam though. It's more targeted.  In principle though I guess it's keep doing it until someone is caught out.

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 27, 2020, 01:16:13 PM
That's not quite the same as spam though. It's more targeted.  In principle though I guess it's keep doing it until someone is caught out.

Called 'phishing'. Directly targeting a person via e-mail to provide sensitive/confidential information about themselves.

Never beat the deeler

There seems to have been an increase in the amount of phishing of late.

A couple of people in my contacts have fallen foul to the Whatsapp scam.
You get a message from a contact on Whatsapp saying:
"Hello I'm sorry, I sent you a 6-digit code for SMS by error. Can you transfer it to me? It's urgent"
and at the same time you get a text message with the 6-digit code.
The code is actually the account retrieval details for your account. If you forward it, the phisher can access your account and contact all your contacts.

Another one that happened last night. I got a facebook messenger message from an acquaintance. Somebody I would know if I met them at home, and I would have been relatively friendly with approx 10 years ago, but not in any sort of contact now.
Conversation went like this

Other Person: Hi NBTD. How are you doing
Me: I'm good thanks, and you
OP: I'm getting along pretty well and I need a favor from you.
Me: I'll try
OP: I need to get an iTunes gift card for my Niece, It's her birthday but  I can't do this now because I'm currently traveling.Can you get it from any store around you? I'll pay back as soon as i am back.
Me: Which niece?
No response

I messaged a mutual friend to let her know she's been hacked.
It is pretty obvious but I can see how someone could be fooled by these kind of things
Hasta la victoria siempre

Never beat the deeler

I should have added:

If you set up 2-step verification on your Whatsapp account, they can no longer access your account by getting the link.
In the app, go Settings>Account>Two-step verification

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: johnnycool on July 27, 2020, 08:51:15 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on July 27, 2020, 08:48:01 AM
Yeah that should be all you need. When you get money into your account then you can transfer it to a bank account.

done a search on the person looking to buy and they're scammers, same bullshit story;

Great! please consider it sold and take the ads down off ,i am buying it for my cousin. and i am read to pay your full asking price, i have read through the advert and i'm totally satisfied with it,sadly i would not be able to come personally

to collect due to my hearing loss and me being in wheelchair.

I have a courier agent that would help me to pick it up at your preferred location after you have received your money and i'll pay you via PayPal today.

Where is the pick up location so that i can inform the courier agent about it now?

If I'd have given them my email address, which they already have via Gumtree how could they have scammed me or are they just nusciance wankers?

I think the play here is they will send you a fake payment notice by email in the hope that you will send the item

johnnycool

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on July 28, 2020, 06:23:39 AM
Yeah that should be all you need. When you get money into your account then you can transfer it to a bank account.

done a search on the person looking to buy and they're scammers, same bullshit story;

Great! please consider it sold and take the ads down off ,i am buying it for my cousin. and i am read to pay your full asking price, i have read through the advert and i'm totally satisfied with it,sadly i would not be able to come personally

I have a courier agent that would help me to pick it up at your preferred location after you have received your money and i'll pay you via PayPal today.

Where is the pick up location so that i can inform the courier agent about it now?

If I'd have given them my email address, which they already have via Gumtree how could they have scammed me or are they just nusciance wankers?

I think the play here is they will send you a fake payment notice by email in the hope that you will send the item

The hoor is still sending me messages..

I'd love to fuckem over but don't know how..

Any devious hoors on this board?

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: johnnycool on July 29, 2020, 02:28:50 PM

Say that you are elderly and cant remember your account details then ask them for their account number so you can send funds.

johnnycool

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on July 29, 2020, 03:48:19 PM

Say that you are elderly and cant remember your account details then ask them for their account number so you can send funds.

They're buying from me, not the other way round..

Only a total moron would fall for that!

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: johnnycool on July 29, 2020, 03:56:05 PM

ahh In that case just say your have referred them to the Fraud Dept of your bank.

imtommygunn

Barring getting them shutdown not sure what you can do. You could string them along and keep telling them you've upped the price or something. Stringing them along and getting them reported for fraud about the best you can do. If you get the website they're sending you(i.e. the paypal spoof which you will most likely get) then get domain details etc and get it shut down.

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Ball Hopper

Quote from: Hound on July 27, 2020, 09:23:44 AM
Just read that one way to find out if it is a courier scam is to say to the purchaser that if he's sending a courier to collect your item that he just send the cash with the courier and not to bother with paypal. A genuine purchaser should have no problem with that.

Some scammers arrange a fake email from paypal saying the money is in your account but will take 3-5 days to show up. Or they cancel the paypal payment after collection.

Sounds like a good idea.

Main Street

What are you selling -  the family jewels?  ;D    is the stuff that interesting for them?
I though the scam was that you the seller will receive an email saying that the buyer has sent you too much money and can you return the difference to them.
And you also promptly receive a fake paypal email  claiming  the said (over) payment has arrrived to your Paypal account.

johnnycool

Quote from: Main Street on July 29, 2020, 07:04:51 PM

What are you selling -  the family jewels?  ;D    is the stuff that interesting for them?
I though the scam was that you the seller will receive an email saying that the buyer has sent you too much money and can you return the difference to them.
And you also promptly receive a fake paypal email  claiming  the said (over) payment has arrrived to your Paypal account.

Selling a double buggy, anyone interested in it?

Should set up a buy and sell section on here.

johnnycool

Quote from: hardstation on July 30, 2020, 09:07:52 AM

Thanks,
     send me the long number on your credit card, the expiry date and also the security code on the back and I'll get it sent to you asap.

It's a lovely yolk, can turn on a sixpence and folds into the size of a cornflakes box, just like an armalite.....