PayPal

Started by noeldebrun, November 20, 2008, 10:46:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boycey

Quote from: bennydorano on December 10, 2017, 07:31:45 PM
I've 2 regular monthly payments going out from PayPal and looking to cancel one, using the phone app and fucked if I can see how to do it??

Looked there myself can't see it either..

imtommygunn

There is stuff you can only seem to do via a browser with paypal. Might be one of them.

bennydorano

Yeah, see it there when using browser. Cheers.

johnnycool

Selling an item on Gumtree and the person interested in buying is wanting to pay via paypal.

Turns out i do have an account but know SFA on how to use it.

Where do i find my account details to send them so that they can make the payment??

imtommygunn

You should have an email from them surely? If you have a main email account just tell paypal you have forgotten your password and reset it. They can pay using your email address and then you can pay the money on to your own bank account.

If you can't find it reregister.

johnnycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 27, 2020, 08:34:50 AM
You should have an email from them surely? If you have a main email account just tell paypal you have forgotten your password and reset it. They can pay using your email address and then you can pay the money on to your own bank account.

If you can't find it reregister.
Oh i can log in alright but I thought I'd to send them some sort of account details for them to make the payment, but if all they need is the email address I've the paypal account registered to then that's OK.

imtommygunn

Yeah that should be all you need. When you get money into your account then you can transfer it to a bank account.

johnnycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 27, 2020, 08:48:01 AM
Yeah that should be all you need. When you get money into your account then you can transfer it to a bank account.

done a search on the person looking to buy and they're scammers, same bullshit story;

Great! please consider it sold and take the ads down off ,i am buying it for my cousin. and i am read to pay your full asking price, i have read through the advert and i'm totally satisfied with it,sadly i would not be able to come personally

to collect due to my hearing loss and me being in wheelchair.

I have a courier agent that would help me to pick it up at your preferred location after you have received your money and i'll pay you via PayPal today.

Where is the pick up location so that i can inform the courier agent about it now?

If I'd have given them my email address, which they already have via Gumtree how could they have scammed me or are they just nusciance wankers?

imtommygunn

If you get the money via paypal then I am not sure. Generally speaking scammers don't use paypal.

That all sounds a bit dodgy alright.

Hound

Is the scam that they ask you to pay the 'courier' I wonder?

Don't respond with address until you have the money in your account

johnnycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 27, 2020, 08:55:40 AM
If you get the money via paypal then I am not sure. Generally speaking scammers don't use paypal.

That all sounds a bit dodgy alright.

evidently this person sends you a link to click on and it is how they scam.

Would love to send these hoors a virus.

gallsman

Absolute scam johnnycool, the "courier" is a well known one. Was selling a car about five years ago on adverts.ie and the message was almost the exact same.

On another point, be aware that accepting payments via PayPal will carry a fee.

Hound

Just read that one way to find out if it is a courier scam is to say to the purchaser that if he's sending a courier to collect your item that he just send the cash with the courier and not to bother with paypal. A genuine purchaser should have no problem with that.

Some scammers arrange a fake email from paypal saying the money is in your account but will take 3-5 days to show up. Or they cancel the paypal payment after collection.

imtommygunn

https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/belfast-news/gumtree-paypal-scam-warning-belfast-17046432#:~:text=%22The%20scam%20generally%20involves%20unsuspecting,the%20item%20on%20their%20behalf.

Apologies for the shit web-site being linked lol.

You get a spoof email saying you have received money then you get an email saying you have been overpaid and need to pay some money back so you pay it back. Something along those lines.It's a lot of work to catch someone out and most people would see through it.

armaghniac

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 27, 2020, 09:26:10 AM
https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/belfast-news/gumtree-paypal-scam-warning-belfast-17046432#:~:text=%22The%20scam%20generally%20involves%20unsuspecting,the%20item%20on%20their%20behalf.

Apologies for the shit web-site being linked lol.

You get a spoof email saying you have received money then you get an email saying you have been overpaid and need to pay some money back so you pay it back. Something along those lines.It's a lot of work to catch someone out and most people would see through it.

The point about electronic spam is that is doesn't cost anything to send it to loads of people, so as long as 0.001% of people are fooled then you are quids in.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B