Laois Senior Football Championship 2016

Started by Heshs Umpire, March 04, 2016, 10:32:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Draper

Am I right in thinking the Emo/Courtwood/Rock amalgamation has been in existence in differing grades for a few years now? Is it a case that no one gave a f**k until they won something?

Timmy

Think it's going a couple years at this stage alright. The rock have teams up to u14 but haven't had numbers to field teams above that. They approached Emo and Courtwood so the couple of lads they do have could each play at their own age group. Downtheroad I think your over thinking things here, its just a sensible solution to get a couple extra lads some football. They are a nice team, and a lot of the players have been successful up along. I think only 4 that started were up to the age.

High Fielder

It's a good alternative to letting stinky old suits dictate what goes on in clubs. It's progressive thinking and no harm whatsoever to see two strong panels lining up against each other. There should always be an avenue into football/hurling in your local club, but there should also be a a stage on which you can better yourself. That's not always possible in some smaller clubs, so I'm all for these amalgamations. There were young lads winning medals there last night that might never have seen the day if someone didn't do something constructive. This can only be a good thing as it ups the ante for all other minor teams in the county, and will in turn make them better.

oneflewoverthecuckoonest

well done to both sides in an entertaining minor final, and congrats to the winners.

in the debate on amalgams, don draper has hammered home the nail....no one pays a bit of notice to amalgams if they exit in round 1 or 2...if they have the brassneck to be still in come final time, then suddenly an amalgam becomes a problem.

this board, bar the rare exception, agrees there must be change to the senior football structure with clubs twinning or trebling up to form a competitive team. dinosaurs in single clubs tend to be the biggest stumbling block to change.

by  embracing amalgams at minor level, you are in a sounder position to promote them at adult level.

in a perfect world, at minor level for instance, it would be super if there was a spread of titles over a ten year period won by various amalgams mixed with single club wins for the likes of the town, or port or graigue.

SCFC

Clonaslee staying up! Unbelievable. Emo are in real trouble.

Downtheroad

Quote from: SCFC on August 28, 2016, 07:45:55 AM
Clonaslee staying up! Unbelievable. Emo are in real trouble.
6 9 to 0 24 is a bizarre score. Was in OMP so missed what I what always thought was going to be a white knuckle ride for whoever had the misfortune to run into Clonaslee. While Emo are not gone yet, it's looking bad as either The Heath and Graigcullen will be formidable. Emo's problem is that they lack depth and the very fact that Michael and Conor Lawlor are getting games doesn't bode well. The minor win the other night is welcome but is not going to address the lack of quality for a few years yet. Funny enough, I think The Heath are vulnerable in a way O'Dempseys were last year  as they will be in shell shock if they lose to Graig in replay.

County baller

Both The Heath and Emos downward spirals have really been incredible but I think it again highlights how after Portlaoise and possibly Killeen how the other 14 clubs in senior are pretty much on a par.
The Heath and Graiguecullen could go either way, I think it's more important for The Heath to win as they're clearly lacking motivation and I couldn't see them winning a relegation final where as Graiguecullen are a team who I'd fancy to grind out a result against emo.

Laoiseabu

Was it the same clinaslee team that played the first two matches or were some of the missing players back . Emo must have real trouble in the back line . 4-17 against ballyfin and now 6-9 against clonaslee who are "supposed" to be the two weakest teams in it.

Don Draper

Never bet against Clonaslee when they're backed into a corner. Ever.

Ballyroan Abbey

Emo lost to cretty, ballyfin and clonaslee there is no doubt they deserve to go down, there is a bit of a hiatory of club having an awful season after reaching the highs that they did last year, ballyroan champions in 06 relegated in 07, Timahoe finalist in 07 relegated in 08, Kilcruise semis in 13 and regular finalist beforehand would of been relegated if county board had a set of balls,  o dempseys in 14 semi finalist relegated last year,

Take portlaoise away and its a very even championship but a very poor one too

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Weekend Results:

27/08/2016
Graiguecullen                  0-13
The Heath                       0-13    AET.

Arles/Killeen                   3-14
Killeshin                         0-16

Clonaslee St Manmans     6-9
Emo                               0-24

St Joseph's                     3-8
Mountmellick Gaels         2-6

28/08/2016
Ballylinan                       3-10 
Portarlington                  1-13

Crettyard Gaels              2-11
Ballyfin Gaels                 0-15
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

High Fielder

The standard is through the floor. I think most teams would be a grade below what they are in Laois if for instance, they played in Meath or Kildare. So many changes are now necessary to put the county straight.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

SFC Quarter Final draw:

Stradbally v Ballylinan
Portlaoise v St Joseph's
Arles Kilcruise v Crettyard Gaels
Ballyroan Abbey v Arles Killeen

SFC Relegation Semi Final replay
The Heath v Graiguecullen is on Wednesday 31st August 7.30pm in Stradbally GAA
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Don Draper

Emo's defeat to Clonaslee puts Ballyfins supposed wonder comeback into context, with further context coming last night with defeat to Crettyard. And a little more context on their decision to pull out of the league.

Downtheroad

Quote from: Don Draper on August 29, 2016, 08:26:11 AM
Emo's defeat to Clonaslee puts Ballyfins supposed wonder comeback into context, with further context coming last night with defeat to Crettyard. And a little more context on their decision to pull out of the league.
Fair Comment. Crettyard didn't seem to have Spink players last night either from what I could make out. The standard in general was shocking over the weekend. If Emo stay up, I imagine, they will grab the Courtwood lifeline and form a gaels team.   If they go down, they won't be able to form a gaels team for at least a year unless some of their players opt to play with one the existing senior clubs. I still think that The Heath are the most vulnerable of the 3 left.