The Super(ish) Leeds United Thread

Started by Rufus T Firefly, January 25, 2007, 08:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Hound

He's Mr Leeds for me. The comically bad defender celebration adding to the joy!

Hound

Just saw the sending off. IMO ridiculous to give Jimenez a yellow for that, and keeper holding his head (fake) was likely the key to the decision.
But Leeds have had poor decisions against them, so got to take it and move on. 

SHEEDY

nil satis nisi optimum

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Mourne Rover

There is a perception that Leeds supporters are elderly, completely stressed out and very likely to take a drink on a Friday night. It's completely true and tonight demonstrated why we are all so obsessed. Leeds were dreadful in the first half and it looked as though another five or six goal hiding was going to follow. A red card was coming with the tackles which were flying in, and we finally got a piece of good fortune when it went in our favour. However, the way the younger Leeds players stepped up, and the senior figures, like Harrison, Rodrigo and particularly Ayling, pushed us over the line was brilliant to see. We probably need six points from our last eight games, and knowing Leeds it may well go to the last match at Brentford, but Marsch, who definitely enjoys the interviews, has done a great job to date.

seafoid

Leeds now 3/1
Burnley 8/11

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/premier-league/relegation

Worrying about Leeds being relegated may be a middle class problem.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rufus T Firefly

What can one say?

In the midst of the mayhem last night, Gary Neville asked what it must be like for a Leeds fan. I think I can give some insight. For me personally, it is excruciating. It is emotionally draining. I find myself up and out of the chair and pacing the living room. I'm living every challenge; every opportunity; every near miss; every goal conceded; every goal scored, and at the end I am mentally exhausted.

Many of the emotions associated with this commitment are inevitable disappointment and heartbreak. That therefore makes nights like last night all the more wonderful.

Like many others, I was totally despondent at half time and I honestly could see us getting turned over four, five or six. The red card was of course pivotal but I definitely think both yellows can be justified by the ref. The second, he was unlucky, because he was genuinely going for the ball, but he was late and he took out the keeper. Indeed I would ask the question why Wolves did not have a second player sent off, as Dallas was taken down with a knee high challenge - in the lead up to our equaliser - that was reminiscent of Cooper's red against City last season.

I've said it before and it is important to say it again. The players available, as a collective, simply are not good enough. However you cannot question their commitment and character. That was evident in Bamford's tears when he left the field, in Forshaw's tackle to win the ball in midfield, that led to the first goal, in Meslier's determination to clear the ball in a challenge in which he knew he was going to get hammered.

Make no mistake. That win was huge last night, and as the BBC website said, may not have saved the season, but has given Leeds much needed breathing space.

I was of the opinion that 35 points would possibly be enough to escape the drop. Another two wins. The matches coming up against Palace, Southampton, Watford and Brighton are pivotal to our survival. In most of those games we will be playing against superior opposition. It will be the character that was shown last night that will be key to getting us over the line.

Elated!

MOT!

lenny

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on March 19, 2022, 08:49:44 AM
What can one say?

In the midst of the mayhem last night, Gary Neville asked what it must be like for a Leeds fan. I think I can give some insight. For me personally, it is excruciating. It is emotionally draining. I find myself up and out of the chair and pacing the living room. I'm living every challenge; every opportunity; every near miss; every goal conceded; every goal scored, and at the end I am mentally exhausted.

Many of the emotions associated with this commitment are inevitable disappointment and heartbreak. That therefore makes nights like last night all the more wonderful.

Like many others, I was totally despondent at half time and I honestly could see us getting turned over four, five or six. The red card was of course pivotal but I definitely think both yellows can be justified by the ref. The second, he was unlucky, because he was genuinely going for the ball, but he was late and he took out the keeper. Indeed I would ask the question why Wolves did not have a second player sent off, as Dallas was taken down with a knee high challenge - in the lead up to our equaliser - that was reminiscent of Cooper's red against City last season.

I've said it before and it is important to say it again. The players available, as a collective, simply are not good enough. However you cannot question their commitment and character. That was evident in Bamford's tears when he left the field, in Forshaw's tackle to win the ball in midfield, that led to the first goal, in Meslier's determination to clear the ball in a challenge in which he knew he was going to get hammered.

Make no mistake. That win was huge last night, and as the BBC website said, may not have saved the season, but has given Leeds much needed breathing space.

I was of the opinion that 35 points would possibly be enough to escape the drop. Another two wins. The matches coming up against Palace, Southampton, Watford and Brighton are pivotal to our survival. In most of those games we will be playing against superior opposition. It will be the character that was shown last night that will be key to getting us over the line.

Elated!

MOT!

I like Leeds but I totally disagree on the sending off. The keeper gets there first but followed through recklessly into Jimenez and imo it should have been a free in with a red or yellow to the keeper. In the current game people who win the ball but follow through with lots of momentum into their opponent are most often the ones getting the card. If that was a centre half winning the ball and following through he'd have been in trouble.

quit yo jibbajabba

Agree. Boneshaker of a challenge keeper came off worse so yellow card produced. Either/both could have gotten hurt. Keeper every bit as reckless.

Hope yis stay up

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: lenny on March 19, 2022, 02:02:59 PM
The keeper gets there first but followed through recklessly into Jimenez and imo it should have been a free in with a red or yellow to the keeper.

I can understand people saying Jimenez should not have received a yellow but I'll confess the keeper getting a yellow / red is a viewpoint I never envisaged.

All about opinions of course.

lenny

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on March 19, 2022, 03:02:07 PM
The keeper gets there first but followed through recklessly into Jimenez and imo it should have been a free in with a red or yellow to the keeper.

I can understand people saying Jimenez should not have received a yellow but I'll confess the keeper getting a yellow / red is a viewpoint I never envisaged.

We see it happening to outfield players regularly where they get the ball but follow through in a reckless manner. To me the keeper is the one who is a bit out of control going into the challenge.

seafoid

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on March 19, 2022, 03:02:07 PM

Tiny margins.
Leeds could be black guarded the next day
I just can't see them going down however.

seafoid

Leeds now 1 point behind Brentford ,( both on 30 played)  and 37/10 to go down.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: seafoid on March 20, 2022, 08:26:35 PM
Leeds now 1 point behind Brentford ,( both on 30 played)  and 37/10 to go down.

Every match continues to be is huge and this really applies to the upcoming matches - Southampton at home and Watford away. These are two of the five remaining fixtures to target for points. Chelsea and City at home and Arsenal away look more doubtful in terms of gathering points.