The Super(ish) Leeds United Thread

Started by Rufus T Firefly, January 25, 2007, 08:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quit yo jibbajabba

Was only half watching but it seemed similar to the one welbeck got against liverpool couple years back so if thats the case maybe harsh enough

Mourne Rover

Bielsa's departure felt a bit like a Shakespearian tragedy, and much of the romance of following Leeds has faded as a result, but Marsch made a significant impact today. He completely overhauled some dodgy defensive structures within a matter of days after arriving, and only poor fortune prevented a morale boosting win. He also spoke well in all his interviews and reached out to the supporters at the end. There's no doubt Leeds were the better team, but we have to start picking up points sooner rather than later. The back to back home games against Villa and Norwich are crucial, and hopefully Bamford will be involved at some stage.

Denn Forever

Bamford on the  bench so suggests that he should be fit soon. Sorely need a striker.  Are there enough games left?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Hound on March 05, 2022, 01:55:49 PM
Commentators quick to dismiss the penalty appeal by saying it wasn't clear there was any contact. I'd be pretty positive there was contact, and was therefore handball. And the ref gave the corner and it didn't hit any other Leicester player.

And then 2 mins later, Leicester score!

Agreed totally but I have grown to simply accept these things as a Leeds supporter.

It was a very positive performance and would give hope that the season can be rescued. Marsch has clearly tightened things up on the pitch but the reality is that many of the players are not as good as their opponents. Major investment is needed if they stay up. 

Mourne Rover

Tonight was genuinely hard to watch. Villa are a decent side but we made them look like world beaters. It is all going to come down to the Norwich game on Sunday. A win still gives us a decent chance of staying up but a defeat means it is effectively all over.

Rufus T Firefly

Have to say after that match that for the first time I think we will go down, along with Watford and Norwich. The team was absolutely devoid of confidence and that was reflected in the manner of their play with misplaced passes, hesitation, mistimed tackles etc. If ever a plyer encapsulated that last night, then it was Rodrigo. Everything he touched turned to dust and the crowd started getting at him, which didn't help.

Villa were vastly superior and I feel therein lies the underlying issue. For all of our bad luck through injuries, and there has been some bad luck in terms of individual efforts at goal at either end, the reality for me is that the team is not good enough and the Club has been slightly undone by the excellence of the efforts of last season, when the team played above themselves. There did not at that time appear the need for much further investment. 

The bulk of the mid Championship players that were there when Bielsa took over are still there and involved. It says a lot for Bielsa's genius that he managed that side to ninth last year. The reality for me is that many of these players are now playing again at their proper level. Klich, Harrison, Dallas, Ayling (the one decent performance last night), Roberts, etc. Dan James at £28 million increasingly looks like a terrible investment. The loss of Philips and Bamford has been immeasurable.

All of this was increasingly evident as the season wore on to Christmas and the need for strengthening was glaringly obvious. That we concentrated on one or two set targets and did not have other options is going to come back to haunt us. Villa got in Digne and Coutinho, as an example. We got in no-one and it showed last night. Chickens are coming home to roost.

seafoid

All of the stragglers will lose matches on the run in. Villa are 9th.
36-38 points may be enough. Burnley are evens. Leeds are 6/5.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

imtommygunn

I still think Everton will be the 3rd team to go down.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: seafoid on March 11, 2022, 10:12:23 AM

Whilst I agree with that, and I had in my mind 35 would see safety, it was the nature of that performance last night that did not bode well. It's difficult to see where things can be turned around with the players available, and the confidence draining away. Burnley look to have a bit more resolve.

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 11, 2022, 10:19:31 AM

They are playing terribly, but I think when it comes down to it they have better players than Leeds and Burnley and will eek out the necessary results.

lurganblue

I expected that to be a little closer last night, only because of recent history in this fixture.  Truth be told though, since the brighton game Villa have found a system that seems to work and a little bit of form/confidence.  That carried through on the night against a Leeds side that are lacking in confidence and quality in certain areas.

Bamford getting a run out will be a big boost for the Norwich game.  Phillips is such a miss.  They miss his talent of course but also his passion and drive.

I still have an inkling that Everton will go down because of their run in, but Leeds certainly need to get 3 points off Norwich.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on March 11, 2022, 10:37:24 AM

Whilst I agree with that, and I had in my mind 35 would see safety, it was the nature of that performance last night that did not bode well. It's difficult to see where things can be turned around with the players available, and the confidence draining away. Burnley look to have a bit more resolve.

They are playing terribly, but I think when it comes down to it they have better players than Leeds and Burnley and will eek out the necessary results.

If they can get Phillips and Bamford back fit then thats a massive boost. Getting above Brentford is the key for me. I think they will run out of steam and be third team down.
That was never a square ball!!

imtommygunn

No striker to speak of and an awful back four. I am an everton fan and this is the first time since 90 whatever I just have the feeling we are going down...

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 11, 2022, 11:40:05 AM
No striker to speak of and an awful back four. I am an everton fan and this is the first time since 90 whatever I just have the feeling we are going down...

The one thing I would say is that Everton do look to have a tough run in. That's why I sort of had in my mind that four wins and 35 points) could conceivably keep us safe.

Leeds need to be looking for points from Norwich and Southampton at home and Wolves, Brighton and Brentford away, although the match against the Bees is the last game of the season. Home games against Chelsea, City and away to Arsenal, do not offer much hope.

johnnycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 11, 2022, 11:40:05 AM

Same, back 4 are worse than championship level, Godfrey fit to start tomorrow, needs to come in for Keane and young Branthwaite instead of Holgate.