Graham Linehan on Twitter / Trans debate

Started by bennydorano, May 08, 2020, 08:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sid waddell

Quote from: gallsman on June 09, 2020, 07:57:53 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on June 09, 2020, 01:38:49 AM
Quote from: gallsman on June 08, 2020, 11:05:54 PM
She didn't "get offended by it". She ridiculed the fact that we now live in a world where people are being asked to think twice about using the word "women" lest they offend a "woman" who is incapable of menstruation. Is that really that out there a notion?!
I'm pretty sure women who can't menstruate are still women, and like to be called women. My mam's one, and she's definitely a woman.
I don't think you yourself know what you meant. Your post would indicate such, anyway.
Ah look, you've deliberately pretended not to know what I meant. How pathetically transparent.

sid waddell

Quote from: bennydorano on June 09, 2020, 09:44:10 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on June 09, 2020, 01:31:29 AM
Quote from: bennydorano on June 08, 2020, 09:21:38 PM
Left wing twitter is every bit as bad as right wing Twitter, only they think they're on the moral high ground every single time. They do love a pile on.
I suppose asking for trans people to be treated with respect is just as bad as denying the Holocaust, when you think about it.
See that's the thing I've yet to read anything disrespectful, there's also the fact that Biological facts are actual facts.

Plenty of left wing gobshites are a bit all over the shop in their dealings with holocaust and Jews / Israelis in general there chief so maybe not as much of a left wing hill to die on as you think.
Those not on the end of centuries of disrespect are not the best people to judge whether disrespect is being shown.

I think the last two weeks' events in America should have taught you that, not that it should be needed to be taught.

Strange that your response to me mentioning Holocaust denial was to bring up Israel. Very strange indeed.

gallsman

I absolutely agree with your first comment there. Hence why the likes of Daniel Radcliffe, imbued with the emotion of the suffering of women through the centuries, deciding that transwomen are women is utterly laughable.

sid waddell

Quote from: gallsman on June 09, 2020, 11:07:01 AM
I absolutely agree with your first comment there. Hence why the likes of Daniel Radcliffe, imbued with the emotion of the suffering of women through the centuries, deciding that transwomen are women is utterly laughable.
If you agree with my comment, you cannot agree with JK Rowling.

JK Rowling is not the trans women suffering constant disrespect, ridicule and bigotry, and neither are you.

gallsman

Quote from: sid waddell on June 09, 2020, 11:09:52 AM

JK Rowling is not the trans women suffering constant disrespect, ridicule and bigotry, and neither are you.

JK Rowling is a woman, a group has suffered constant disrespect, ridicule and bigotry throughout history and continues to to this day all across the world.

The vast majority of people telling her she doesn't know what a woman is, or that she should accept their definition of what a woman is are not women. They are men or transwomen. See twats like Radcliffe, Owen Jones or that insufferable Irish p***k Aidan Comerford.

sid waddell

Quote from: gallsman on June 09, 2020, 12:13:17 PM

JK Rowling is a woman, a group has suffered constant disrespect, ridicule and bigotry throughout history and continues to to this day all across the world.

The vast majority of people telling her she doesn't know what a woman is, or that she should accept their definition of what a woman is are not women. They are men or transwomen. See twats like Radcliffe, Owen Jones or that insufferable Irish p***k Aidan Comerford.
JK Rowling is being called out precisely because she is engaging in disrespect, ridicule and bigotry against trans women.

Your argument is essentially the same as saying that because Irish people as a whole suffered from oppression, that individual Irish people are therefore incapable of themselves becoming oppressors.

gallsman

Well that equivalence is complete and utter horseshit and makes no sense whatsoever so we'll just leave that there.

Where has Rowling ridiculed disrespected, ridiculed or shown bigotry against transwomen?

armaghniac

Quote from: sid waddell on June 09, 2020, 12:22:51 PM
JK Rowling is being called out precisely because she is engaging in disrespect, ridicule and bigotry against trans women.

BLX. All she did was state the bleeding obvious that being a woman is a question of biology, not someone's opinion.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

sid waddell

Quote from: gallsman on June 09, 2020, 01:08:56 PM
Well that equivalence is complete and utter horseshit and makes no sense whatsoever so we'll just leave that there.

Where has Rowling ridiculed disrespected, ridiculed or shown bigotry against transwomen?
Rowling's whole spiel, as is Linehan's, is about denying that trans women are women.

If you can't see the problem there, I can't help you.

sid waddell

Quote from: armaghniac on June 09, 2020, 01:16:00 PM

BLX. All she did was state the bleeding obvious that being a woman is a question of biology, not someone's opinion.
Your statement of what you say is "the bleeding obvious" leads one to believe you haven't thought or read much about the issue.

sid waddell

Quote from: armaghniac on June 09, 2020, 01:16:00 PM

Your dismissive statement that what you say is "the bleeding obvious" leads one to believe you've thought and read very little about the issue.

gallsman

Quote from: sid waddell on June 09, 2020, 01:31:27 PM

Rowling's whole spiel, as is Linehan's, is about denying that trans women are women.

Who says transwomen are women? You? Owen Jones? What is a woman? Who gets to define it? Men?

Saying "you're not the same as me" is not transphobic.

Lesbians stating that they wouldn't date a transwomen because they've no interest in sucking someone's c**k does not make them transphobic. Agreeing with this position does not make someone a TERF.

seafoid

Quote from: gallsman on June 09, 2020, 12:13:17 PM

Your argument is essentially the same as saying that because Irish people as a whole suffered from oppression, that individual Irish people are therefore incapable of themselves becoming oppressors.

She was taking the piss out of the notion of "people who menstruate"

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.telegraph.co.uk/women/life/international-womens-day-has-hijacked-trans-activists/amp/

"Olufemi - who had dropped out of the conference when she learned about Todd's involvement - wrote a statement saying that 'womanhood' is an 'umbrella term' under which all and sundry can gather. The author poured scorn on the notion of fighting for 'sex-based rights', calling the struggles to maintain female-only refuges, hospital wards, prisons and changing rooms "abhorrent""

Some of the trans rhetoric is absolute bollocks.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Franko

Sid, for someone who usually presents a solid argument, all you've done here is engage in ad hominem, false equivalence and obfuscation.  You haven't addressed any of the issues.  The notion that objective reality can be over-ridden by strongly held beliefs is just not one I can subscribe to.

That said, I think Linehan has lost the run of himself and become totally consumed by this.  Unfollowed him a while back as it was both boring and depressing to read.

sid waddell

Quote from: gallsman on June 09, 2020, 01:54:35 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on June 09, 2020, 01:31:27 PM

Who says transwomen are women? You? Owen Jones? What is a woman? Who gets to define it? Men?

Saying "you're not the same as me" is not transphobic.

Lesbians stating that they wouldn't date a transwomen because they've no interest in sucking someone's c**k does not make them transphobic. Agreeing with this position does not make someone a TERF.
See, you're now doing the exact thing you were previously denying Linehan and Rowling were doing.

And you can't even see it.

Utterly mental stuff.