The DUP thread

Started by armaghniac, December 31, 2022, 05:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LC

Quote from: Rossfan on January 31, 2024, 06:58:55 PMThe lack of any criticism from Nationalists would suggest "we" have no particular real issues about the thing.

Does the "Stormont brake" mean Unionists can block any EU Laws being implemented in the 6?

With the exception of the party leaders no other politician is really saying much.

From what I understand the agreement is a 76 page document and no doubt probably a bit too much to process for the calibre of politicians we have so no doubt if they exposed themselves to be interviewed on it they could be found wanting.

Main thing from their perspective is they are back up to full wages. I wonder if any will be brave enough to come out and say until nurses, bus drivers etc get sorted as a sign of solidarity they will return to work on their current reduced salary, some chance.

Pub Bore

Hard to believe it took two years to come up with that "agreement".  Some checks will be reduced but the rest is very much smoothing out a few rough edges of the Framework.  Luckily for the DUP the vast majority of Unionism doesn't care and wants the Assembly up and running again.  The next big issue is unmasking the DUP's Stakeknife (or knives)

Hereiam

At what point does SF/SDLP pull the plug until a border poll is called  8)

Pub Bore

Quote from: Hereiam on February 01, 2024, 10:01:59 AMAt what point does SF/SDLP pull the plug until a border poll is called  8)

Yes, some of the stuff that CHH and other politicians came out with yesterday flew under the radar and was eye watering in its lack of understanding of the GFA.

NAG1

Quote from: Pub Bore on February 01, 2024, 10:14:09 AM
Quote from: Hereiam on February 01, 2024, 10:01:59 AMAt what point does SF/SDLP pull the plug until a border poll is called  8)

Yes, some of the stuff that CHH and other politicians came out with yesterday flew under the radar and was eye watering in its lack of understanding of the GFA.

At this stage I think they will say anything to get the assembly back up and running and SF are not going to pull them on it until it is.

Yet to see anything that devastating, that would prevent JD marching them back up the hill. Everyone and their dog knew it was the MPs holding out this, all on really cushy numbers with no impact on their income or lifestyle from the assembly being down. So they could come across as hard line as they want to play to the galleries.

trailer

One thing that maybe has flown under the radar is the possible reduction in Corporation tax here. Looking forward to that for sure. Would be a massive boost to business and the local economy if they can pull it off. Be interesting to see if we have the political ability to get that done.

Rossfan

But but but....that would make "Northern Ireland different to the rest of the UK".....
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

tbrick18

Quote from: trailer on February 01, 2024, 10:37:23 AMOne thing that maybe has flown under the radar is the possible reduction in Corporation tax here. Looking forward to that for sure. Would be a massive boost to business and the local economy if they can pull it off. Be interesting to see if we have the political ability to get that done.

I read that too.
I also read that as a reduction in corporation tax would mean a reduction in money paid to the British Exchequer from NI, the block grant would then also be reduced accordingly.
So it could be a case of giving on one hand and taking on the other with no net gain....and possibly even a net loss to NI Ltd.

NAG1

Quote from: tbrick18 on February 01, 2024, 11:32:12 AM
Quote from: trailer on February 01, 2024, 10:37:23 AMOne thing that maybe has flown under the radar is the possible reduction in Corporation tax here. Looking forward to that for sure. Would be a massive boost to business and the local economy if they can pull it off. Be interesting to see if we have the political ability to get that done.

I read that too.
I also read that as a reduction in corporation tax would mean a reduction in money paid to the British Exchequer from NI, the block grant would then also be reduced accordingly.
So it could be a case of giving on one hand and taking on the other with no net gain....and possibly even a net loss to NI Ltd.

Is this the beginning of the weaning process?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: NAG1 on February 01, 2024, 11:44:04 AM

I read that too.

Is this the beginning of the weaning process?

Just create another 'issue' leave the Assembly and get some favours to get back in, rinse and repeat when necessary
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

TabClear

I read that too.

And absolutely the right approach. It means our politicians will actually have to do what they are paid to do, i.e. do a cost benefit analysis and determine if the reduction in tax rate will have a net positive outcome, whether through increased employment or higher taxable profits as more companies relocate. Unfortunately an approach like that needs a stable political base and competent ministers, something I think we are sadly lacking.  It should not be a case of "cut tax for the sake of it and sure Whitehall will bail us out to make sure we are no worse off." This begging bowl approach has to stop.

I think this episode over the last few years has woken up a lot of Tories as to what a pain in the arse NI is to UK. And all thanks to the DUP.  ;D  ;D

johnnycool

Buttering up the DUP, but we'd need to be careful they don't slip some shít under the radar impacting the calling of a border poll

The was a Labour MP interviewed yesterday and she obviously wasn't aware of the UK Governments supposed position in the event of a border poll either.

Rois

The Corporation Tax case was made before Brexit, and it did make economic sense back then.  Many of my colleagues were involved in the investigative groundwork, and certainly the community of chartered accountants (of which I'm a member) was majority in favour of tax powers devolving here.  Not sure how much things will have changed by now. 

red hander

Quote from: johnnycool on February 01, 2024, 12:06:22 PM

Buttering up the DUP, but we'd need to be careful they don't slip some shít under the radar impacting the calling of a border poll

The was a Labour MP interviewed yesterday and she obviously wasn't aware of the UK Governments supposed position in the event of a border poll either.

Saw that on Sky. She's obviously as thick as pigshit, which is all that charlatan Starmer wants in his party, but that odious cow Burley had no idea about what she was on about either and completely lacking in research in her questions. She has a history of ill-researched shit stirring.

Pub Bore

Quote from: johnnycool on February 01, 2024, 12:06:22 PM

That was Tulip Siddiq.  She represents Kilburn! ::)