Money is Destroying the Game

Started by Teo Lurley, September 03, 2015, 10:48:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Roscommon need a bus to go to their home games.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

The Aristocrat

Who can match Clare's resources, should their funding be cut or a percentage given to other counties like Carlow, Wicklow, Leitrim etc. Along with Tyrone's centre of excellence this sounds like it will be hard to compete with, not even Dublin has such facilities.

Where did and does all the money come from, anyone know where a full breakdown/audit of money for respective county boards can be found?

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/dnal-g-bringing-buzz-back-to-banner-34632208.html

31 in the backroom team, bigger than Dublins.

Those sessions take place in a 40-seat theatre, with all the required technology, in Caherlohan, Clare's new training centre, situated between Ennis and Tulla.

Completed at the end of last year, it has four pitches - two floodlit - and state of the art training centre, with a gym and hall. There is a recreation room exclusively for the senior hurlers, with couches, a pool table, table tennis and satellite TV

ShutterinbyDayGAAbyNight

Was recently chatting to a friend who is deeply involved in the local GAA club scene here in County Tyrone. He has been telling me that he is feeling overwhelmed by the amount of money his club is asking from him.

It's no secret that GAA clubs rely heavily on financial support from their members. Membership fees and occasional contributions for club run competitions are not only understandable but expected. However, recently the club in question has upped the ante, hounding members for money in ways that feel disproportionate and, in my own opinion, disrespectful.

While it's crucial for clubs to cover necessary expenses, it's been reported that this club is requesting members to foot the bill for their own presentation nights. Presentation nights, traditionally, have been a moment for clubs to come together and celebrate the achievements of their members. Asking attendees to pay for their own participation seems to go against the very spirit that these events should embody. Moreover, the practice of soliciting weekly direct debit payments from members has raised eyebrows. While consistent funding is essential for club operations, transparency and accountability regarding financial matters are equally important.

At what point do we draw the line? Perhaps it's time for a collective conversation about what constitutes reasonable financial expectations from our members and how we can hold our clubs accountable to those standards.

TabClear

Quote from: ShutterinbyDayGAAbyNight on February 14, 2024, 02:00:30 PMWas recently chatting to a friend who is deeply involved in the local GAA club scene here in County Tyrone. He has been telling me that he is feeling overwhelmed by the amount of money his club is asking from him.

It's no secret that GAA clubs rely heavily on financial support from their members. Membership fees and occasional contributions for club run competitions are not only understandable but expected. However, recently the club in question has upped the ante, hounding members for money in ways that feel disproportionate and, in my own opinion, disrespectful.

While it's crucial for clubs to cover necessary expenses, it's been reported that this club is requesting members to foot the bill for their own presentation nights. Presentation nights, traditionally, have been a moment for clubs to come together and celebrate the achievements of their members. Asking attendees to pay for their own participation seems to go against the very spirit that these events should embody. Moreover, the practice of soliciting weekly direct debit payments from members has raised eyebrows. While consistent funding is essential for club operations, transparency and accountability regarding financial matters are equally important.

At what point do we draw the line? Perhaps it's time for a collective conversation about what constitutes reasonable financial expectations from our members and how we can hold our clubs accountable to those standards.

Its a difficult one. The cost of running a club has increased massively in recent years with things like floodlights, gyms, physio etc now expected at the same time as facilities costs like energy has skyrockted. Pitch upkeep is now no longer a couple of volunteers on a mower. That is before you get into payments to managers, S&C coaches etc.

A couple of local clubs round me have a combination of monthly DD to all members, players DDs, membership fees etc as well as corporate sponsors. A lot of clubs have moved away from fundraiser events as they are generally so much hassle.

Bottom line is that it has to be paid for and its up to the club to determine the most equitable way to raise funds. Taht being said, It will be a sad day if participation in GAA reduces because members cannot afford it so clubs need to bear this in mind.

bennydorano

Everything is getting squeezed in all aspects of life, the GAA is not immune and the Direct Debit to the club is as vulnerable as any of the rest of them - probably one of the first ones to go for a lot of people under pressure.

trailer

Quote from: ShutterinbyDayGAAbyNight on February 14, 2024, 02:00:30 PMWas recently chatting to a friend who is deeply involved in the local GAA club scene here in County Tyrone. He has been telling me that he is feeling overwhelmed by the amount of money his club is asking from him.

He should try Rugby or Soccer or Swimming. See the fees involved in that. GAA is great value for money and a fantastic community organisation. It costs a lot to put teams on the field and for that matter teams that can compete.
But if you can't afford it, then it doesn't really matter the price but the days of £20 membership and away ye go are long gone.

Ethan Tremblay

Quote from: trailer on February 14, 2024, 02:39:53 PM

He should try Rugby or Soccer or Swimming. See the fees involved in that. GAA is great value for money and a fantastic community organisation. It costs a lot to put teams on the field and for that matter teams that can compete.
But if you can't afford it, then it doesn't really matter the price but the days of £20 membership and away ye go are long gone.

I agree, relatively cheap compared to other activities, but slowly narrowing the gap.  In the past month alone, I have contributed toward 3 different fundraising initiatives for my team and we are only into February Christs sake. 

My biggest annoyance is the senior coaching team getting a hefty sum (outsiders) when we are not doing enough to bring our own coaches through.
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

trailer

Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on February 14, 2024, 02:51:51 PM
Quote from: trailer on February 14, 2024, 02:39:53 PM

I agree, relatively cheap compared to other activities, but slowly narrowing the gap.  In the past month alone, I have contributed toward 3 different fundraising initiatives for my team and we are only into February Christs sake. 

My biggest annoyance is the senior coaching team getting a hefty sum (outsiders) when we are not doing enough to bring our own coaches through.

I literally got asked for £200 to sponsor a Camogie lady for the year 2 mins after I wrote that. I'm f**king done lol!

marty34

I think the GAA is a fantastic organisation but with outside managers, coaches and S&C's being 'employed' nowadays then costs will rise.

I have no problem paying a good membership fee, if required, per year. The amount of training session, fun and enjoyment my kids get out of the GAA can't be measured. Maybe in a few years time, they may drift but currenly, they love being about the club.

Who are the people that are complaining about costs?

Are these the people who use GAA clubs as babysitting services, roll up in big jeeps, drop kids off then clear off shopping?
Is it people who spend £60 over the week-end on chippys and take-aways. Is it people who going on holidays three times a year?

We need a bit of perspective.

The crunch is kicking in surely but what the GAA, clubs and coaches etc. give back to kids is priceless in my opinion. We may fight and argue about the direct of the GAA but it's great value for money.

Brendan

It helps when you see the money being spent so you know where it is going, even if a huge chunk is going to management etc, other than management payments there is great value in the membership at my club anyway

Wildweasel74

I no issue paying for club activities but draw the line of financing a 10k mercenary management team who float from club to club every couple of years. If they spend that money training up their own.

yellowcard

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on February 16, 2024, 12:41:02 PMI no issue paying for club activities but draw the line of financing a 10k mercenary management team who float from club to club every couple of years. If they spend that money training up their own.

This is Jarlath Burns biggest challenge as president. No president has had the cajones to tackle the issue to date and it has got progressively worse every year. The single biggest expense in any club will be the running costs of the mens senior team. A lot of these coaching lads are on the gravy train and they are costing a hell of a lot more than 10k. Simple rule to implement is that the managers must be a club member, it would curb a lot of this excessive costs burdened onto clubs.

Ultimately it is the members who are subsidising these lads wages and only one team will win the championship anyway, normally the one with the best players. It is sucking all the money out of the game which could be channelled much better than going into the hands of the merry go round managers.   

mrdeeds

Quote from: yellowcard on February 16, 2024, 01:03:49 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on February 16, 2024, 12:41:02 PMI no issue paying for club activities but draw the line of financing a 10k mercenary management team who float from club to club every couple of years. If they spend that money training up their own.

This is Jarlath Burns biggest challenge as president. No president has had the cajones to tackle the issue to date and it has got progressively worse every year. The single biggest expense in any club will be the running costs of the mens senior team. A lot of these coaching lads are on the gravy train and they are costing a hell of a lot more than 10k. Simple rule to implement is that the managers must be a club member, it would curb a lot of this excessive costs burdened onto clubs.

Ultimately it is the members who are subsidising these lads wages and only one team will win the championship anyway, normally the one with the best players. It is sucking all the money out of the game which could be channelled much better than going into the hands of the merry go round managers.   

Involved with club at committee level for years and a club man can cost you more than an outsider. We've had oursiders who have refused to take a penny. Depends on individual.

SaffronSports

It's something I've seen first hand. Some people who would walk over hot coals to learn and become coaches while others within the club just refer to them as cone lifters as though there is no potential in them.

Armagh18

Quote from: mrdeeds on February 16, 2024, 01:08:59 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on February 16, 2024, 01:03:49 PM

Involved with club at committee level for years and a club man can cost you more than an outsider. We've had oursiders who have refused to take a penny. Depends on individual.
See if a club man is looking a penny he should be chased from about the place.