All Ireland club football championships 2023/24

Started by Blowitupref, January 06, 2023, 09:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pbat

GAA will try to do a FIFA a la the french game and buy Glen off.

Initially yesterday I said Glen should not appeal but the more I read and see everything about KC stinks to high heaven. From recruitment off Walsh, the game management at the end yesterday and the Dublin Media's attitude " nothing to see here ".

clarshack

Quote from: naka on January 23, 2023, 02:38:19 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on January 23, 2023, 02:35:09 PM
https://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2023/01/23/news/gaa_won_t_investigate_16th_man_without_a_glen_objection-3013728/

As expected the GAA put the onus onto Glen to lodge an appeal which would very likely be successful. The GAA will be now desperately hoping there is no appeal forthcoming, it will be a long wait before Wednesday.
would love glenn to put one in so the feckers have to make a decison one way or the other.  they should have  the balls to make a call either way.
jeez

if Glen object the GAA will use the fine option as a get out clause when it really should be a replay.

johnnycool

https://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2023/01/23/news/gaa_won_t_investigate_16th_man_without_a_glen_objection-3013728/

As expected the GAA put the onus onto Glen to lodge an appeal which would very likely be successful. The GAA will be now desperately hoping there is no appeal forthcoming, it will be a long wait before Wednesday.

This boils my piss with the GAA rule book. Why is the onus of the impacted club to appeal when the world and his dog knows there were 16 Crokes players on the field?

Glenn won't want to be in this position either.

I wonder will Croke Park offer the Glen players £300 of vouchers to be quiet like they did the Down hurlers when their CR final was blown up 5 minutes early?

full moon

I hope they appeal, sorry I can't get on board with a "club" with 5,000 members in a catchment area of over 100,000 people.

Who on top of that get approved to transfer in one of the best players in country in Shane Walsh, a year after losing the previous All Ireland final. Who then use 16-17 players in the final and go unpunished by GAA HQ. How is it fair.

Sorry I can't cheer that on. I think these club competitions have been devalued for various reasons, the crowd yesterday was fairly poor  and disappointing. The fairness is questionable in these competitions.

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/2023/01/23/glen-to-ask-gaa-for-clarification-on-16th-man-in-all-ireland-club-final/

Earlier, the Derry champions' manager Malachy O'Rourke had been asked about the 16th man.

"Yeah, we can do nothing about that but it obviously does make a difference the more men they have in there. The harder it is for us to get a score out of it and I think we did ask the fourth official to get the free (45) retaken but it didn't happen."

straightred

That so cowardly. It should be nothing to do with Glen and its very unfair to be asking them to do the GAAs dirty work. The GAA should call it. That probably means a replay. If they need a pound of flesh then they can suspend all the officials.

6th sam

Quote from: johnnycool on January 23, 2023, 02:47:39 PM

This boils my piss with the GAA rule book. Why is the onus of the impacted club to appeal when the world and his dog knows there were 16 Crokes players on the field?

Glenn won't want to be in this position either.

I wonder will Croke Park offer the Glen players £300 of vouchers to be quiet like they did the Down hurlers when their CR final was blown up 5 minutes early?

The onus has to be on the objecting club or else the GAA opens itself to a "can of worms".......why should they be expected to go looking for every transgression , if the offended team don't even feel strongly enough about it , to object ?
I don't think anyone should think of Glen as being Unsporting , if they objected. In fact they'd be foolish not to. There's no guarantee they'll ever be back in an All-ireland, it's a tortuous journey. Therefore if there is evidence of clear transgression of the rules, with material influence on the game (this is a very very rare event), they owe it to their players and supporters to object. There's sledging, dangerous play , cynical play which too often is accepted in the GAA, yet a team makes a clear objection in an AI final lost by two points , and the GAA moral compass is all of a sudden pulled out of the hat .
I'm a neutral on this , but IMO , Glen should object, they should win and we'll enjoy a fair crack between two great teams, this Saturday

smort

Think they have to object then, for the integrity of all competitions

Could see a scenario where they object, get offered a replay, and then decline the replay

Look-Up!

Really bad the officials were notified about it and wouldn't allow the 45 to be retaken. Weak as piss, obviously hoping it would all just go away. If I were Glen I'd definitely be objecting out of principle. Terrible mess, feel sorry for the two clubs.

rodney trotter

When Joe Sheridan touched down for Meath in 2010 against Louth ,the GAA didn't force a replay. Meath should have done the honourable thing and offered a replay but they didn't.

But it shouldn't have been their choice. GAA should have showed power. Will they change their tune here?

An Fhairche Abu

If the refs had just accommodated a retaken 45 with the correct number of players as they were told of at the time, this would be done and dusted.
Don't think there will be too many complaints if there is a replay, GAA will want to avoid it with the calendar for sure but it's their officials fault. I feel a bit bad for the ref, hung out to dry by his sideline lads.

seafoid

KC and the Sunshine Band may be forced into doing something. It depends how the media storm develops.
OTB were quite vehement this morning.

armaghniac

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on January 23, 2023, 03:32:33 PM
If the refs had just accommodated a retaken 45 with the correct number of players as they were told of at the time, this would be done and dusted.

This. A retaken 45 would have addressed the issue, perhaps Glen could have worked the ball to the net, more likely it would have ended up like the actual 45, but it would have been fair. Not sure why they did not this, what was the hurry?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Truth hurts

Glen need to object for the rules of the gaa, if they don't this will happen in so many games especially when chasing a late winner.

Jesus the pints in the Monday club wouldn't be the same for KC today.

Armagh18

Can't see a replay happening now. What if Crokes are beat, they've the very reasonable argument that their lads have been on the piss for days