All Ireland club football championships 2023/24

Started by Blowitupref, January 06, 2023, 09:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh18

Quote from: Hound on January 23, 2023, 12:23:37 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on January 23, 2023, 11:38:49 AM
It probably wouldn't be a big issue if it was Na Fianna or Oliver Plunketts. But joining the biggest club in Dublin who were the reigning Leinster champions when he joined, seemed very convenient.
He was talking about his aim was to win Leinster and All Ireland club a few weeks after joining, likely had no intention of joining any other Dublin club

Well the thing is, we turn a blind eye to paying managers, and sports journalists do zero investigation into the matter, so should we not to do the same for players?
Crokes have paid huge sums to Anthony Daly and Ollie Baker to manage their hurlers. Other clubs all over the country pay managers, and not an eyelid batted.

It would be a bit hypocritical to go after Walsh and say nothing about managers. But if you were, the following questions should be asked:

How many clubs did Shane speak to before he decided on Crokes? (He definitely spoke to Boden and I believe he spoke to Na Fianna, which seems odd given it's on the north side)
Who made the approach? (I understand that it was Walsh who approached the clubs)
Why approach more than one club?
Do Crokes arrange for a car for him? (I believe not, as Galway already provide him with a car)
Do Crokes "sponsor" his rent?
Have Crokes brought on a friend of Walsh as a trainer/physio who charges a significant amount per session? If yes, was it part of the deal or pure coincidence?
The amount of clubs not paying an outside manager would be in the tiny minority.

Walsh is getting big coin to play for Crokes.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Armagh18 on January 23, 2023, 12:37:52 PM
It probably wouldn't be a big issue if it was Na Fianna or Oliver Plunketts. But joining the biggest club in Dublin who were the reigning Leinster champions when he joined, seemed very convenient.
He was talking about his aim was to win Leinster and All Ireland club a few weeks after joining, likely had no intention of joining any other Dublin club

Well the thing is, we turn a blind eye to paying managers, and sports journalists do zero investigation into the matter, so should we not to do the same for players?
Crokes have paid huge sums to Anthony Daly and Ollie Baker to manage their hurlers. Other clubs all over the country pay managers, and not an eyelid batted.

It would be a bit hypocritical to go after Walsh and say nothing about managers. But if you were, the following questions should be asked:

How many clubs did Shane speak to before he decided on Crokes? (He definitely spoke to Boden and I believe he spoke to Na Fianna, which seems odd given it's on the north side)
Who made the approach? (I understand that it was Walsh who approached the clubs)
Do Crokes arrange for a car for him? (I believe not, as Galway already provide him with a car)
Have Crokes brought on a friend of Walsh as a trainer/physio who charges a significant amount per session? If yes, was it part of the deal or pure coincidence?
The amount of clubs not paying an outside manager would be in the tiny minority.

I'd like to see your link to this one and not some made up story
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

shawshank

The fourth official and the ref made some balls of that. Nothing to do with Crokes at all. Is there a game that goes bye that there isn't some problem with a ref ffs.

oakleaflad

Quote from: Hound on January 23, 2023, 12:32:59 PM
Quote from: oakleaflad on January 23, 2023, 12:23:21 PM
Quote from: smort on January 23, 2023, 12:11:14 PM
If nothing is done it could open the flood gates for future abuse

It's a tricky one
Really is a tricky one. At the time I thought there'd be no chance of a replay but the more I think on it I almost think there should be. As you say it sets a bad precedent for teams to potentially abuse. The rules of the game have clearly been broken, if nothing happens what's the point in having them?

But this wasn't Crokes abusing any rule. This was the officials making an almighty c**k up.
There should be no question of Crokes offering a replay - it's not as if Glen would likely have scored, there's no moral obligation (like arguably there was for Meath in the Joe Sheridan case).

But the rule book should be followed now.
I'm not sure if that's easy to answer. Someone put an extract up earlier which could be read as signifying a replay is in order. But just from that abstract I'm not sure whether that was just in relation to bringing on too many subs.
If the rule book say this was just a ref's error rather than playing an ineligible player, then there's no remedy for Glen, like any other ref mistake.
You don't seriously think Crokes didn't know they'd too many men on the field?

shawshank

Thats right Oak, if you watch that period again, the ref blows the whistle for play to continue. I can easily see why Crokes players would not have the time to think have we 16 players on. each concentrating on marking their man or the space inside the 13m line. This is 100% clear cut and on the head of the officials

Armagh18

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 23, 2023, 12:46:23 PM

Well so the rumours say. Would it surprise you that much if he was?

oakleaflad

Quote from: shawshank on January 23, 2023, 01:01:17 PM
Thats right Oak, if you watch that period again, the ref blows the whistle for play to continue. I can easily see why Crokes players would not have the time to think have we 16 players on. each concentrating on marking their man or the space inside the 13m line. This is 100% clear cut and on the head of the officials
I don't mean the players. The coaches/management team would have known for sure.

Armagh18

Genuine question, if you're Walsh, as great as it would be to win a county championship of any sort, never mind a provincial and and all ireland, would it not feel seriously hollow winning it with lads you barely even know in comparison with lads you grew up with?

I could never play for another club like he's done.

Armagh18

Quote from: oakleaflad on January 23, 2023, 01:04:48 PM
Quote from: shawshank on January 23, 2023, 01:01:17 PM
I don't mean the players. The coaches/management team would have known for sure.
Probably. But in fairness I don't think that was at the forefront of their mind. 100% on the officials imo.

yellowcard

Quote from: oakleaflad on January 23, 2023, 12:56:56 PM
Quote from: Hound on January 23, 2023, 12:32:59 PM
Quote from: oakleaflad on January 23, 2023, 12:23:21 PM
Quote from: smort on January 23, 2023, 12:11:14 PM
If nothing is done it could open the flood gates for future abuse

It's a tricky one
Really is a tricky one. At the time I thought there'd be no chance of a replay but the more I think on it I almost think there should be. As you say it sets a bad precedent for teams to potentially abuse. The rules of the game have clearly been broken, if nothing happens what's the point in having them?

But this wasn't Crokes abusing any rule. This was the officials making an almighty c**k up.
There should be no question of Crokes offering a replay - it's not as if Glen would likely have scored, there's no moral obligation (like arguably there was for Meath in the Joe Sheridan case).

But the rule book should be followed now.
I'm not sure if that's easy to answer. Someone put an extract up earlier which could be read as signifying a replay is in order. But just from that abstract I'm not sure whether that was just in relation to bringing on too many subs.
If the rule book say this was just a ref's error rather than playing an ineligible player, then there's no remedy for Glen, like any other ref mistake.
You don't seriously think Crokes didn't know they'd too many men on the field?

I'd say they definitely knew alright, they were that desperate to get over the line. You could see the referee with his hand in the air waiting until the 16th player Mullin had made his way off the pitch before the subsequent kick out was taken after which he blew the full time whistle. So if he knew that the previous play had been made with Kilmacud having 16 players on the pitch, why did he not order it to be retaken. It would have prevented this ongoing saga. The same thing happened Rob Hennelly in the AI semi final in 2021 when he had to retake a 45m kick which resulted in the equalising score. 

seafoid

Quote from: Armagh18 on January 23, 2023, 01:05:00 PM
Genuine question, if you're Walsh, as great as it would be to win a county championship of any sort, never mind a provincial and and all ireland, would it not feel seriously hollow winning it with lads you barely even know in comparison with lads you grew up with?

The problem is compounded by the fact that his sister won a club all Ireland with the home club.

lenny

There's a lot of jealousy and resentment here and people just need to get over themselves. Malachy O'Rourke as expected showed a lot of class afterwards saying Glen would accept the defeat. The ref and 4th official made big mistakes as the subs shouldn't have been allowed onto the field without players coming off. This was purely an officiating error. There's no asterisk or anything else, Crokes are very worthy champions. They'll be celebrating today like any team and the comments of a few jealous people on here will be a long way from their minds. As regards Walsh, fair play to him, he's a great player and will enjoy this victory. Glen did a great job of keeping him quiet though and it was other Crokes players who did the real damage.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Armagh18 on January 23, 2023, 01:02:44 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 23, 2023, 12:46:23 PM

Well so the rumours say. Would it surprise you that much if he was?

Lots of things don't surprise me anymore, but I'd rather you had a link to back up your story thougH

As for not wanting to play for another club other than your own, If you lived in Lurgan and moved to Tralee, would you just stop playing the sport or would you be looking to play where you live or head back and play/train for your own club?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

oakleaflad

Quote from: lenny on January 23, 2023, 01:15:18 PM
There's a lot of jealousy and resentment here and people just need to get over themselves. Malachy O'Rourke as expected showed a lot of class afterwards saying Glen would accept the defeat. The ref and 4th official made big mistakes as the subs shouldn't have been allowed onto the field without players coming off. This was purely an officiating error. There's no asterisk or anything else, Crokes are very worthy champions. They'll be celebrating today like any team and the comments of a few jealous people on here will be a long way from their minds. As regards Walsh, fair play to him, he's a great player and will enjoy this victory. Glen did a great job of keeping him quiet though and it was other Crokes players who did the real damage.
I don't think that's fair. I've made a few comments here based on what I think the right thing to do is. I'm not from Glen. It's nothing to do with jealousy or resentment (although the Walsh thing i'm not sure sits 100% right with me).

yellowcard

Quote from: Armagh18 on January 23, 2023, 01:05:00 PM

I agree with you that it must feel hollow as he's only been at the club a few months. Should Mickey Moran and Conleth Gilligan feel the same about their AI success with Kilcoo though?