All Ireland club football championships 2023/24

Started by Blowitupref, January 06, 2023, 09:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh18

Quote from: rodney trotter on January 16, 2023, 01:31:36 PM
I don't think league position is that big of issue to be honest. Many counties run League separate from championship.  Tyrone and a few counties take it more seriously and championship grading done on  league position.
League is played mostly without county men as well. I'd say Fossa a poor league side.

clarshack

Quote from: Armagh18 on January 16, 2023, 02:11:36 PM
I don't think league position is that big of issue to be honest. Many counties run League separate from championship.  Tyrone and a few counties take it more seriously and championship grading done on  league position.
League is played mostly without county men as well. I'd say Fossa a poor league side.

They won Division 4 and were beating Division 2 sides in the championship.

general_lee

For context, if Tyrone sent the team that finished 5th in Division 1 it would be 2021 SFC champions Dromore.

Armagh18

Quote from: clarshack on January 16, 2023, 02:14:47 PM

Had they the Clifford boys for much of the league?

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: Armagh18 on January 16, 2023, 01:19:59 PM
Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on January 16, 2023, 01:13:33 PM
Ah Jesus, this is farcical stuff. I think there was an article on the42 explaining Kerry club system, I'll have to find it. Just so we're clear, there has never and never will be just club teams in Kerry Senior Championship. That's not the way it works and there is decades of tradition of teams like South Kerry, Shannon Rangers and others joining up and competing against the big boys. If you don't get it, that's fine but it works.

https://www.the42.ie/kerry-club-system-championship-5901512-Oct2022/

This is one piece on it. Can't find the older one I was talking about. Won't bore people with the details anyway.
You aren't listening. No ones saying dont have the divisional teams, in fact I think its a great idea and would love to see it in Armagh, have spoke about it before to people. Doesn't change the fact that a separate championship should be played with 16 senior teams, send the winner to Munster then play intermediate with the next 16 and so on.

I am listening - we are NOT having a separate championship. That would make the competition with Divisional teams meaningless. There is already a separate Senior club competition that has winners going through to Munster IF a divisional team wins the County Senior championship. I don't necessarily agree with that either. The team that's gets furthest in Champ proper should go through. Dingle would have been far stronger than Rahilly's this year. They ran East Kerry to a point. If Dingle had beaten Kilmacud and won Senior this place would be in meltdown!
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

clarshack

Quote from: Armagh18 on January 16, 2023, 02:26:42 PM

No

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on January 16, 2023, 02:27:16 PM
Ah Jesus, this is farcical stuff. I think there was an article on the42 explaining Kerry club system, I'll have to find it. Just so we're clear, there has never and never will be just club teams in Kerry Senior Championship. That's not the way it works and there is decades of tradition of teams like South Kerry, Shannon Rangers and others joining up and competing against the big boys. If you don't get it, that's fine but it works.

This is one piece on it. Can't find the older one I was talking about. Won't bore people with the details anyway.
You aren't listening. No ones saying dont have the divisional teams, in fact I think its a great idea and would love to see it in Armagh, have spoke about it before to people. Doesn't change the fact that a separate championship should be played with 16 senior teams, send the winner to Munster then play intermediate with the next 16 and so on.

I am listening - we are NOT having a separate championship. That would make the competition with Divisional teams meaningless. There is already a separate Senior club competition that has winners going through to Munster IF a divisional team wins the County Senior championship. I don't necessarily agree with that either. The team that's gets furthest in Champ proper should go through. Dingle would have been far stronger than Rahilly's this year. They ran East Kerry to a point. If Dingle had beaten Kilmacud and won Senior this place would be in meltdown!
Why on earth would that be the case? They would be the top Senior club in Kerry (however that was arrived at) and going into a competition with the rest of the top clubs from every other county.
Kerry don't have to change anything if they don't want to, CP should tell them they can't compete in the Inter club championships if they keep sending the 9th ranked club team as a representative, simple as that at this stage.

Armagh18

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on January 16, 2023, 03:09:49 PM

Why on earth would that be the case? They would be the top Senior club in Kerry (however that was arrived at) and going into a competition with the rest of the top clubs from every other county.
Kerry don't have to change anything if they don't want to, CP should tell them they can't compete in the Inter club championships if they keep sending the 9th ranked club team as a representative, simple as that at this stage.
Yeah simple as that.

Armagh18

Quote from: clarshack on January 16, 2023, 02:41:10 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on January 16, 2023, 02:26:42 PM

No
Maybe I'm being harsh but they looked fairly average outside the 2 lads. Must be poor enough standard in their league?

smort

yellowcard

Just checking the roll of honour and Kerry clubs have won 7 out of 19 AI intermediate titles and 11 out of 21 junior titles (11 different clubs). Thats all the proof that is needed that their clubs have an unfair advantage. The argument you make regarding Dingle is a red herring, if Kerry clubs had won half the available titles at senior level I would say good luck to them as they would have earned it. Its the grading process that is the problem at provincial and AI level but the GAA are notoriously slow to act unless it becomes an issue in the media.   

seafoid

Quote from: yellowcard on January 16, 2023, 05:27:24 PM

Just checking the roll of honour and Kerry clubs have won 7 out of 19 AI intermediate titles and 11 out of 21 junior titles (11 different clubs). Thats all the proof that is needed that their clubs have an unfair advantage. The argument you make regarding Dingle is a red herring, if Kerry clubs had won half the available titles at senior level I would say good luck to them as they would have earned it. Its the grading process that is the problem at provincial and AI level but the GAA are notoriously slow to act unless it becomes an issue in the media.
They haven't won anything like that a senior level

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/2023/01/17/clifford-benefits-from-2018-change-to-lift-trophy-for-fossa/

Kerry only have eight senior clubs, which naturally has an impact on the standard of teams in intermediate and junior with the clubs emerging from the Kingdom usually stronger than those from other counties who have a greater number of senior clubs and so a weaker pool at intermediate and junior.

Eire90

They should just have a separate divisional championship at some other time of year.