All Ireland club football championships 2023/24

Started by Blowitupref, January 06, 2023, 09:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

It wouldnt been different for Galbally, it was obvious half way through the first half, that Rathmore was way stronger than them, especially round Midfield. They were about a 6pts better team, but lay off to prevent a goal allowing Galbally to take points.

general_lee

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on January 15, 2023, 07:57:35 PM
I'm not convinced advocating that a player should smack someone a proper box is a good look lads.
I wouldn't advocate lifting a hand at all but in for a penny, in for a pound and all that.

Armagh18

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on January 15, 2023, 09:10:34 PM
I understand the logic. Breaking Clifford's jaw would probably have been a game winning red card. It doesn't make the suggestion any less....scummy....for want of a better word.
it was 15 that 3 lifted the hand to, not Clifford

Armagh18

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on January 15, 2023, 09:15:06 PM
I'm aware of that....

Breaking 15s jaw would not have been game changing IMO.
Definitely not but if it had been Clifford then Fossa would have been fecked without him. Although I doubt 3 would have fancied taking on 6 foot 4 monster of a man David Clifford lol.

Armagh18

Who was at 11 for Fossa? He was fairly impressive I thought, won a few kickouts when the pressure was on.

Shane Ryan be pushing for a spot in the Kerry forward line next year! Super today.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

So a Kerry double - 2 games that were tight enough but I have to say, I thought if Stewartstown had stuck to the football and not acted the maggot, they would probably have won. They had the better all round team I thought and were going well. Even after the first sending off, it was evened up effectively when Fossa got the black card. But they got worse not better and that Coyle guy who elbowed Paudie Clifford, the less said the better.

Intermediate final wasn't a great spectacle at all. Rathmore the better team marginally but 2 great goal chances Galbally had they will look back on with regret. I do think Galbally lacked a bit of cutting edge though up front. I was told they were lucky enough to win the semi final aswell, but that's just second hand info in fairness. Shane Ryan is a decent forward to be fair to him and their main forward John Moynihan was well marked out of it today so Ryan and his brother Mark really stood up. Rathmore are a decent side though and could afford to leave Aidan O'Mahony (would still play for a lot of teams!) and Darragh Rahilly a good Kerry minor a few years ago, on the bench.

On the (expected) complaints about the Kerry system - most people want to change it lads, but it's Croke Park that are stopping it. I would like to see it resolved so that there could be 10 club teams and Divisional teams play a round robin to get 2 teams to enter the Championship proper, so you've 12 in the Senior draw then. Straight away improves things and Inter and Junior are evened out a bit more. Rathmore and Stacks would probably be already Senior. As it stands, Austin Stacks are Intermediate this season..who contested the Munster Senior final last year.

My understanding is that Cork and Kerry were told that even if a separate round robin of divisional teams takes place before entering championship proper they all count towards the 16. Utterly stupid. Cork has 250 clubs and you want only 16 in the top level out of 250? Where is the common sense?
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

Seamus

Quote from: Armagh18 on January 15, 2023, 09:19:59 PM
Who was at 11 for Fossa? He was fairly impressive I thought, won a few kickouts when the pressure was on.

Shane Ryan be pushing for a spot in the Kerry forward line next year! Super today.

Matt Rennie

As regards intermediate, may not get any better for the rest of the country for the next All Ireland series as Austin Stacks were relegated from senior. They are expected to be the top senior club in Kerry within the next two years as they have a massive pool of talented young players coming on board. Expected to dominate Kerry club football much like Dr. Crokes did in the Gooch era.
"I wish I could inspire the same confidence in the truth which is so readily accorded to lies".

square_ball

Would Fossa still be junior if hypothetically there was 12 teams in the senior championship?

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: square_ball on January 15, 2023, 10:02:54 PM
Would Fossa still be junior if hypothetically there was 12 teams in the senior championship?

Yes and there would be an even stronger team winning Junior if that were the case seeing as how there's currently 17 teams in SFC?! (2 lowest divisional teams playoff in prelim round leaving 16 teams for Championship proper).

If you mean were there 12 CLUB teams in Senior, then yes it would make a difference. But Going from 8 to 10 would be more realistic progress. Fossa won the Kerry Junior final only after Extra time also. Competition is fairly fierce.

Gold

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on January 15, 2023, 09:28:42 PM
So a Kerry double - 2 games that were tight enough but I have to say, I thought if Stewartstown had stuck to the football and not acted the maggot, they would probably have won. They had the better all round team I thought and were going well. Even after the first sending off, it was evened up effectively when Fossa got the black card. But they got worse not better and that Coyle guy who elbowed Paudie Clifford, the less said the better.

Intermediate final wasn't a great spectacle at all. Rathmore the better team marginally but 2 great goal chances Galbally had they will look back on with regret. I do think Galbally lacked a bit of cutting edge though up front. I was told they were lucky enough to win the semi final aswell, but that's just second hand info in fairness. Shane Ryan is a decent forward to be fair to him and their main forward John Moynihan was well marked out of it today so Ryan and his brother Mark really stood up. Rathmore are a decent side though and could afford to leave Aidan O'Mahony (would still play for a lot of teams!) and Darragh Rahilly a good Kerry minor a few years ago, on the bench.

On the (expected) complaints about the Kerry system - most people want to change it lads, but it's Croke Park that are stopping it. I would like to see it resolved so that there could be 10 club teams and Divisional teams play a round robin to get 2 teams to enter the Championship proper, so you've 12 in the Senior draw then. Straight away improves things and Inter and Junior are evened out a bit more. Rathmore and Stacks would probably be already Senior. As it stands, Austin Stacks are Intermediate this season..who contested the Munster Senior final last year.

My understanding is that Cork and Kerry were told that even if a separate round robin of divisional teams takes place before entering championship proper they all count towards the 16. Utterly stupid. Cork has 250 clubs and you want only 16 in the top level out of 250? Where is the common sense?

It wasn't evened up effectively....Stewartstown were a man down for 15 mins before that and duly went 3 behind until the numbers were evened again with the black card....it wasn't like Fossa went a man less than Stewartstown for 15 mins.

Plus Stewartstown punctured themselves chasing an extra man.

Game was lost by the number 3.
Don't advocate lifting  a hand on the field or in life. Had  decades of being held, slapped and kicked by defenders but 1 thing I've never got is pushing or interfering with another man's head....what the fcuk have you to gain from it?
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

LeoMc

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on January 15, 2023, 09:28:42 PM

The system works for Kerry at a club and a County level. It sees lads in their 40's still playing football and winning all-Irelands. However I am not sure Croke park are to blame.
Do Dublin not have a Senior A and a Senior B, effectively 32 clubs at the top end so their Intermediate Champions are the 33rd club as opposed to Kerry where it is the 9th and Tyrone the 17th.

Wildweasel74

Kerry with 64 clubs could easily be 4 league of 16,Senior, Intermediate, Junior A and Junior B. best inter is 17th best junior is 33rd team.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on January 15, 2023, 11:37:20 PM
Kerry with 64 clubs could easily be 4 league of 16,Senior, Intermediate, Junior A and Junior B. best inter is 17th best junior is 33rd team.

No it couldn't because you are forgetting about Divisional teams which is the lifeblood of the Kerry championship structure. I (and most others) would resist any attempt to undermine this. As I said previously however, I would be in favour of increasing the number of club teams in Senior championship from 8 to 10 possibly. That would have an effect. Croke Park are blocking this is my understanding.

To those going on about some sort of Senior and Senior A or B structure - I think that's nonsense. Either you are Senior and you have a chance of competing for the top prize or you don't and you're Intermediate.

This leads me to Cork, where they have not only Senior A, but Intermediate A. Senior - Senior A - Premier Intermediate - Intermediate A - Junior A. Which means that the winners of the 1st grade, 3rd grade and 5th grade represent Cork in Munster competitions. Which is silly in my view. If Cork renamed their competitions and 1st to 3rd grade winners were in Munster Kerry teams would be getting test far more and the number of Kerry teams winning All Irelands at Junior and Intermediate would drop immediately.

befair

Just watched it on Tg4 player; sending off was crucial, let his team down badly, they were right in it till the end, and the stupidity of the sub and the elbow...
Should have taken their beating instead of whining after the game was over.

Wildweasel74

Still have that championship, but make the club championship the Premier championship not county, as divisional teams can't represent a county.