All Ireland club football championships 2023/24

Started by Blowitupref, January 06, 2023, 09:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on January 08, 2023, 06:47:02 PM
With Dublin in the league, nowhere else in Dublin has the capacity for the county team, that's the difference, Club fball no need to be in Croke Park when other venues can take the games.

I get that but isn't great to actually use a facility that's is 5 star and with a surface that will only create better hurling/football rather than some of the bogs we get outside of Croke this time of year?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Blowitupref

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on January 08, 2023, 06:47:02 PM
With Dublin in the league, nowhere else in Dublin has the capacity for the county team, that's the difference, Club fball no need to be in Croke Park when other venues can take the games.

Dublin are going to continue to use it for Div 2 games, surely Parnell Park would be big enough for home games against Louth and Clare?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

rodney trotter

Dublin crowds have been down the last couple of years. There was no need for the National League games there.

They might get a spark now with Mccaffrey and Mannion back and Gilroy in the backroom team

Wildweasel74

I remember round 08/10 Derry playing them on a sat nite at parnell with it only half full, Winning an all Ireland or 6 certainly brings more supporters

PMG1

The commentators touched on it a bit at the end of the Kilmacud game but it is obviously a clear tactic of Kilmacud forwards to foul once they lose the ball to break the play and give their defence and back tracking forwards time to get back to cover. It must have happened at least 15 times today and is a constant tactic from them, but the media will overlook it as they are all great fella's. Tactical fouling at its best, hopefully the ref in the final can clamp on it for Glen's sake. Should be a great game, Walsh quiet today but can win the game on his own if not well marked, as an Ulster man would love Glen to win but fancy Kilmacud are just too cute and will get over the line

seafoid

Club isn't always about the county stars. Wattys should study Kilmacud's weak links and plan accordingly.  There is always at least 1

Saul goodman

Quote from: seafoid on January 08, 2023, 08:22:30 PM
Club isn't always about the county stars. Wattys should study Kilmacud's weak links and plan accordingly.  There is always at least 1

The goalkeeper is one that stands out for me never looks comfortable on the ball and not the best under the high ball - definitely demons there from last year when kilcoo mugged them

clarshack

Quote from: clonadmad on January 07, 2023, 04:29:42 PM
Having seen Fossa in action today

They would be at a minimum top 4 in the laois senior championship and probably at least the same in half of the senior club championships in the country

Castletown were IFC semi-finalists in 2019 beaten AET by the eventual winners Nobber and with a couple of All-Ireland minor winners since then they are no mugs and are of an even keel with the other semi-finalists Stewartstown and Clifden. I watched the Fossa/Castletown stream earlier and Castletown did Ok against a very strong breeze in the 1st half but Fossa had just too much all over the field.

Also watched the Kerry Premier Junior final between Fossa and Listry at the time and thought the standard was the same as the Tyrone Intermediate Final between Edendork and Galbally.

imtommygunn

Quote from: PMG1 on January 08, 2023, 08:12:32 PM
The commentators touched on it a bit at the end of the Kilmacud game but it is obviously a clear tactic of Kilmacud forwards to foul once they lose the ball to break the play and give their defence and back tracking forwards time to get back to cover. It must have happened at least 15 times today and is a constant tactic from them, but the media will overlook it as they are all great fella's. Tactical fouling at its best, hopefully the ref in the final can clamp on it for Glen's sake. Should be a great game, Walsh quiet today but can win the game on his own if not well marked, as an Ulster man would love Glen to win but fancy Kilmacud are just too cute and will get over the line

Was there not an article on Galway, and maybe even Kerry, doing that exact thing last year?

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 08, 2023, 09:09:00 PM
Quote from: PMG1 on January 08, 2023, 08:12:32 PM

Was there not an article on Galway, and maybe even Kerry, doing that exact thing last year?

Kerry are the absolute masters of this but you won't hear the 100 or so Kerry pundits in the media ever mention it.
Galway overturned the ball 10 times in the final inside the 45, Kerry fouled 9 times to stop the breakout and the only time they apparently didn't foul was the most controversial decision of the match when level on 66 minutes and Kerry got the handy free in.
It's nothing new but sure there's only pure footballers in the Kingdom, yerra etc.

imtommygunn

Yeah I would agree with that. I think so would everyone except the refs.

Milltown Row2

What ya going to do?  You can only blow for the foul and if it's a yellow card them!! What do people want?

If I'm manager and we are in front you manage the game on the pitch to close it out! That's it, the stakes are high
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Wildweasel74

I think there used to be a yellow card for persistent fouling, harder to do. If players take different turns to foul.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on January 08, 2023, 11:06:47 PM
I think there used to be a yellow card for persistent fouling, harder to do. If players take different turns to foul.

Yes if you are persistently fouling the same person but if multiple players are fouling all players you apply the rule on the foul.

It's like you're asking for a penalty kick for persistently fouling with 2 minutes to go!!

Gold

Quote from: Gold on January 06, 2023, 11:34:13 PM
Predictions:

Junior: Fossa and Stewartstown

Intermediate: Rathmore and Galbally

Senior: K Crokes and Glen (tightest 1 to call of the lot)

Don't know if I'll get the Final predictions correct too but I'm going for:

1. Fossa
2. Galbally
3. Glen
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."