Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Tyrone are the Apple of Gaelic football. They didn't invent any of the things they're noted for. They just popularised them.

screenexile

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on May 14, 2012, 04:56:42 PM
Quote from: Keepthefaith93 on May 14, 2012, 04:48:28 PM
When I was young and learning to play the game I was told that you should never show the opposition any sign of weakness, that when you where hurt jump up and let on your fine, I think most people will agree that this in the main this was the way things used to be.
You probably always had the odd boy on teams buying free's etc, but I honestly don't know how some of these boys watch themselves on the Sunday game with some of the antics that they get up to, seriously like have they know shame?
Did Tyrone bring cheating into modern football? I don't know, but they certainly took it to a new level and the sad thing about is they where a class team that had no need to be so low.
The funny thing about Tyrone having more divers than most of the other counties in Ireland put together is that if yo go to Cookstown/Omagh/Strabane for a night out you are taking your life into your own hands as they are roughest crowd of hallions you could ever have the misfortune to come across and love nothing more than fighting ( this includes men and women ), yet when they take to the pitch they can be knocked over by a gust of wind. Doesn't make sense.
No cheating in football before 2003.  ::)
Especially from those L/Derry b'tards.

Do you care to back this up with any evidence? We already have 4 high profile incidents involving Tyrone talked about in this thread already . . .

supersarsfields

Quote from: Hardy on May 14, 2012, 05:01:33 PM
Tyrone are the Apple of Gaelic football. They didn't invent any of the things they're noted for. They just popularised them.

Aye if your in your teens.

oakleafgael

Quote from: screenexile on May 14, 2012, 05:02:36 PM
When I was young and learning to play the game I was told that you should never show the opposition any sign of weakness, that when you where hurt jump up and let on your fine, I think most people will agree that this in the main this was the way things used to be.
You probably always had the odd boy on teams buying free's etc, but I honestly don't know how some of these boys watch themselves on the Sunday game with some of the antics that they get up to, seriously like have they know shame?
Did Tyrone bring cheating into modern football? I don't know, but they certainly took it to a new level and the sad thing about is they where a class team that had no need to be so low.
The funny thing about Tyrone having more divers than most of the other counties in Ireland put together is that if yo go to Cookstown/Omagh/Strabane for a night out you are taking your life into your own hands as they are roughest crowd of hallions you could ever have the misfortune to come across and love nothing more than fighting ( this includes men and women ), yet when they take to the pitch they can be knocked over by a gust of wind. Doesn't make sense.

Do you care to back this up with any evidence? We already have 4 high profile incidents involving Tyrone talked about in this thread already . . .

To the Derry wans on this thread, youse are letting youself down a bit. Derry have had a few over the years who liked to "make the most" of physical contact. That said the Tyronies took it to a different level altogether and its a waste of time trying to reason with their supporters. The aul fella calls them the taliban for a reason. We appear to have skipped the worst incident of the lot and that was Dooher against Westmeath in Omagh, I couldnt believe he conned the ref with it.

screenexile

Quote from: oakleafgael on May 14, 2012, 05:10:33 PM

To the Derry wans on this thread, youse are letting youself down a bit. Derry have had a few over the years who liked to "make the most" of physical contact. That said the Tyronies took it to a different level altogether and its a waste of time trying to reason with their supporters. The aul fella calls them the taliban for a reason. We appear to have skipped the worst incident of the lot and that was Dooher against Westmeath in Omagh, I couldnt believe he conned the ref with it.

I think you're being harsh there olg. Yes we had a few lads who were keen to goad opposition players to get them sent off but very few who would have exaggerated or taken a dive. The only one I can think of would be Johnny McGurk who would have made a meal of things but never any really bad incidents (other than at club level).

oakleafgael

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on May 14, 2012, 05:29:36 PM

The goading of Peter Canavan in the 2001 All-Ireland Quarter Final for a start that led to his sending off, along with Tohill punching McAnallen in the earlier Ulster Championship game and getting away with it.

If I were you I'd be more worried by the fact that Draperstown is now becoming half full of Tyrone natives, alongside the other half turning into xenophobic rednecks.

Bummer,

You are moving the goalposts somewhat if your starting to include goading, the topic here is diving is it not? Poor aul Peter was well fit for the goading, he preferred to get his retaliation in first on most occassions, and not with taunting either. Jesus if your including one player punching another we will be here from now till Fermanagh win an Ulster Championship, although he didnt punch him either.

EC Unique

Great to see PTG create such debate even 7 years after he retired from County football.  ;D ;D

screenexile

Ah now Fintona we are clearly talking about diving here. If you want to get into goading opposition players there are a few of the 2003  inbreds who could write a book on it!

I'm not really getting the Draperstown half full of Tyrone rednecks reference? Would you care to expand on this?

Also is there any particular reason for the name calling/slagging of where we're from? We are trying to have a civilized debate here! And you still haven't given me any examples of Derry players feigning injury or diving!!!!

Good to see the old Tyrone siege mentality alive and well ...

oakleafgael

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on May 14, 2012, 06:06:16 PM
Quote from: oakleafgael on May 14, 2012, 05:46:28 PMBummer
By the way, if you're going to use that name, then you are at least in your thirties or very close to it. So it begs the question of what are you doing going to nightclubs in Cookstown, Omagh or Strabane? Still trying to bag 17 year old O'Neill pussy?

Bummer,

Not like you to slip so badly, read back a few posts and send on your apologies.

screenexile

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on May 14, 2012, 06:30:02 PM
Quote from: screenexile on May 14, 2012, 06:09:17 PM
Ah now Fintona we are clearly talking about diving here.
Nope. We were talking about Joe Brolly.

Quote from: screenexile on May 14, 2012, 06:09:17 PMIf you want to get into goading opposition players there are a few of the 2003  inbreds who could write a book on it!
A bit harsh slagging off your own players!

Quote from: screenexile on May 14, 2012, 06:09:17 PMI'm not really getting the Draperstown half full of Tyrone rednecks reference? Would you care to expand on this?
It was half Tyronies, half xenophobic rednecks, but hey. Tirruadh is full of Tyrone exiles these days, I was up around the place a couple of days before the NFL2 final between Tyrone & Kildare and the amount of Tyrone flags out were ridiculous! As for the natives being xenophobic rednecks... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-15021321

Quote from: screenexile on May 14, 2012, 06:09:17 PMAlso is there any particular reason for the name calling/slagging of where we're from? We are trying to have a civilized debate here!
Hmmm...
Quote from: screenexile on May 14, 2012, 06:09:17 PMIf you want to get into goading opposition players there are a few of the 2003  inbreds who could write a book on it!
You couldn't pwn yourself easier if you were Tony Fearon!

Quote from: screenexile on May 14, 2012, 06:09:17 PMAnd you still haven't given me any examples of Derry players feigning injury or diving!!!!
No need! Dirty and unsportsmanlike conduct are my pet hates, which includes - but not limited to - feigning injury or simulation. It's not me being a la carte about playing conduct in the GAA.

Quote from: screenexile on May 14, 2012, 06:09:17 PMGood to see the old Tyrone siege mentality alive and well ...
As opposed to the siege mentality that exists among clubs in much of south L/Derry? Pretty legendary across Ireland, only Kerry and Laois club hurling comes close.

So with regard to my very simple and easily worded question you have no examples and have engaged in whataboutery in order to score some cheap points . . . fair enough I suppose I should have understood the level I was dealing with before I asked.

PS. Tirruadh isn't in Draperstown ;)

Keepthefaith93

I've heard it all now, someone from Fintona calling other people rednecks. ;D ;D

EC Unique

The L/Derry inferiority complex has reached epidemic levels. :D

Keepthefaith93

Quote from: EC Unique on May 14, 2012, 08:48:53 PM
The L/Derry inferiority complex has reached epidemic levels. :D

How do you work that out?

oakleafgael

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on May 14, 2012, 06:39:23 PM
Quote from: oakleafgael on May 14, 2012, 06:15:58 PM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on May 14, 2012, 06:06:16 PM
Quote from: oakleafgael on May 14, 2012, 05:46:28 PMBummer
By the way, if you're going to use that name, then you are at least in your thirties or very close to it. So it begs the question of what are you doing going to nightclubs in Cookstown, Omagh or Strabane? Still trying to bag 17 year old O'Neill pussy?

Bummer,

Not like you to slip so badly, read back a few posts and send on your apologies.

QuoteThe funny thing about Tyrone having more divers than most of the other counties in Ireland put together is that if yo go to Cookstown/Omagh/Strabane for a night out you are taking your life into your own hands as they are roughest crowd of hallions you could ever have the misfortune to come across and love nothing more than fighting ( this includes men and women ), yet when they take to the pitch they can be knocked over by a gust of wind. Doesn't make sense.

Now I know there are some rough elements to parts of these towns on Saturday nights that I'd avoid (though there's c***ts like that in every town with a bit of nightlife beyond a pub, I know from being out in/working at a nightclub in Enniskillen) but these are pretty much restricted to venues that attract sixth formers, young apprentices and some university students - the more "mature" venues don't tend to be plagued as such bar the odd occasion. At least in Omagh anyway. So the only conclusion I can make is that you like to be chasing anything that on Monday to Fridays is in a pleated skirt. Now I don't know about you but I consider myself a bit old for that.

Bummer,

You may look a bit more closely. the text you quoted was nothing to do with me. Im a bit like your self and far to long in the tooth to be chasing skirt as you so eloquently put it.

saffron sam2

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on May 14, 2012, 09:58:32 PM
Quote from: oakleafgael on May 14, 2012, 09:43:43 PM
Bummer,

You may look a bit more closely. the text you quoted was nothing to do with me. Im a bit like your self and far to long in the tooth to be chasing skirt as you so eloquently put it.
Being the civilised and fair person that I am, I now realise that the claim was wrongly attributed to yourself whereas it was ktf93 who was talking about it so I withdraw the accusation made against you and apologise. So as a result what is keepthefaith93 doing chasing 17 year old pussy in Tyrone?

He's not the one who had an avatar of Josef Fritzl though.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet