Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyrone Dreamer

Serious questions need to be asked as to what we're doing wrong at u21 level. We have badly under achieved in the last 7 or 8 years but the last 2 years have been complete horror shows. I always be reluctant to be overly critical of our teams but the performances over the last 2 years have been a disgrace to the county jersey.

Lat night there was a lack of work rate, poor quality and bunch of players who looked liked they'd never played together. On top of that the tactics to me were crazy. In the first half we had a gail force wind behind us but set back with extra men in defence. We allowed Cavan to take short kickouts and walk the ball right up to pitch (taking as much time as possible) and only challenged them when they got inside our 50 using up loads of time. The management only realised 20-25 minutes in that if we pushed up on the kickouts they couldn't kick the ball anywhere due to the strength of the wind. Even if Cavan won the kickouts the build up was always going to be slow against the wind allowing us to get back. By half time at 3 3 the game was over. In the 2nd half we kept 4 men up front at all times when we were against the wind. Hard to work out what the plan was.

The only positive at all for me was Bradley looks to have filled out a bit and was one of the few players that showed a bit of class and urgency. The forwards were living off scraps but in the limited ball that did go up he showed more than McCurry. McNulty seemed to lack a bit of mobility at full forward.

nrico2006

How significant a role has Donnelly had in the Cavan u-21 success story?  If he is one of the huge reasons behind it, surely he should be offered some role within his native countys underage set-up.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

matchfit21

Anyone ever looked at some of coaches working with development squads through tyrone underage set up? Definitely a few questionable 'experts'

BADONEY

Six players on the Tyrone U21 selection will play intermediate football within Tyrone in 2014 , hard to see muct talent emerging from division 2in Tyrone.

hugh the root

I seen enough in breffini on Wednesday night to agree with you..........cunty chairman warming and trying to motivate subs till he was put in the dugout! ENOUGH  SAID

supersarsfields

Quote from: BADONEY on March 21, 2014, 01:27:09 AM
Six players on the Tyrone U21 selection will play intermediate football within Tyrone in 2014 , hard to see muct talent emerging from division 2in Tyrone.

Nonsense. Stephen O Neill is playing Div 3 this year. Does that make him a bad footballer?

Gaffer

Quote from: hugh the root on March 21, 2014, 08:36:04 AM
I seen enough in breffini on Wednesday night to agree with you..........cunty chairman warming and trying to motivate subs till he was put in the dugout! ENOUGH  SAID

All hands to the pump. What's wrong with that? He as been involved with the U21s this year. Knows a bit or 3 about football.
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

hugh the root

Gaffer who knows a bit or 3 about football?

time ticking away

i'll answer that, Ciaran Mc Laughlan knows a bit about football. Was a good player himself and coached clan na gael in senior at a time. but I'm sure hugh with your extensive talent and knowledge anything the cOunty chairman has done would be pretty poor when compared to your intimidating loughshore accomplishments
canavan is the man canavan is the man ee aye adi ooh.......

Knock Yer Mucker In

Asking a question, Tyrone senior panel don't talk to RTE, or is the senior management? Can someone tell me reason why? Not a bland version of events, but detail please. PM me if it suits better. Regards

omagh_gael

It relates back to a row over a sketch that the John Murray show on RTE radio1 did regarding Michaela Harte. If memory serves me right the song 'pretty little girl from Omagh' was involved. Harte sought an apology and none was forthcoming so he withdrew from commenting to all RTE media outlets. I'm sure the players fully supported him in this stance rather than him laying the law down himself regarding RTE's access to the players.

Under Lights

Was there not also an issue with some commentator being sacked as well that MH supported?

shezam

Quote from: Under Lights on March 24, 2014, 04:56:44 PM
Was there not also an issue with some commentator being sacked as well that MH supported?

Yes Mickey and a number of other managers voiced their support in relation to  Brian Carthy.

But it was what omagh_gael describes was the real issue and no apology was ever forthcoming from rte.

Knock Yer Mucker In

Quote from: omagh_gael on March 24, 2014, 04:48:08 PM
It relates back to a row over a sketch that the John Murray show on RTE radio1 did regarding Michaela Harte. If memory serves me right the song 'pretty little girl from Omagh' was involved. Harte sought an apology and none was forthcoming so he withdrew from commenting to all RTE media outlets. I'm sure the players fully supported him in this stance rather than him laying the law down himself regarding RTE's access to the players.

Still don't get why he would be upset about that? Was it something derogatory in the sketch towards Michaela? Was it after her untimely passing ?

shezam

Quote from: Knock Yer Mucker In on March 24, 2014, 07:33:44 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on March 24, 2014, 04:48:08 PM

Still don't get why he would be upset about that? Was it something derogatory in the sketch towards Michaela? Was it after her untimely passing ?

Yes