?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Main Street on May 04, 2010, 11:36:28 PM
Depends who the real alternatives for the job are.
He definitely has the players motivated. He has manically invested a lot of himself in getting the job and he would give his right arm to get it. Hard to judge him on the few games so far, but he has done better than could be expected and very solid where it mattered tonight.
The Ross County catastrophe could have been a leftover side effect.

Tonight was the first time I saw Fortune really fired up, Naylor reverting back to the good player he once was, Brown gave the ball away a lot, but he did well in the middle. Makeshift centre halves had a few wobbles but playing Wilson over Thompson was a gamble which paid off. Overall shape and balance was good, ball retention crap as could be expected in a frantic game.

It's another deal altogether for a manager to rebuild a team for next season and to have a decent run in Europe.
I'd agree with your last bit there - Lennon can def fire up the players and get them going. Would he have the nous to buy and sell and put together a good side? Dunno.
Odds are against him.
In reality Tyroneman is right - to learn his trade, Lennon needs to do a MON and start off learning how to buy/sell/spot players etc at lower clubs and not at one of the bigges names in the world of soccer !
We would love the fairy tale of Lennon succeeding - but the odds are heavily against it !
Lennosn motivation skills are good, his tactics may be as good as what we have had since MON, but there is the question over some aspects - putting the team together/buying etc - but more worrying is how he put in two half inj players the other week and made them even more inj that they had to come off and potentially set them back further ! That aspect has me a little hesitant !
Still last night was a good win, and while Celtic went missing for the first 20 mins of the second half, they shoul dhave been 3-0 up by half time.
Wilson did as well as he could but a real centre half would have cleared that and some of the other half chances that made miller look good last night !

Main Street

Point taken about Wilson, but it was a choice of him at CH or young Thompson. Lennon's square peg choice paid off, just about.

On the manager, it all depends on how far the Board are willing to go.  If the Board won't invest, then Lennon is at least as good as any other manager in Scotland, Walter excepted. Would Lennon win the title back next year? maybe yes - maybe not.
If the Board go for a manager with some profile then they will have to invest, a decent incoming manager would only be attracted if funds were made available.
There is no name that jumps out from the list that the bookies have, the prospective new manager is not there, though Avram Grant looks interesting. He is on a reported salary of £900k pa. I was impressed with how he organised the Israeli team, at least on a par with the Swiss manager Kobi Kuhn.  But you get the sense he is looking for something like a cushy well remunerated National team position, where he just works with available squad.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Main Street on May 05, 2010, 03:06:35 PM
Point taken about Wilson, but it was a choice of him at CH or young Thompson. Lennon's square peg choice paid off, just about.

On the manager, it all depends on how far the Board are willing to go.  If the Board won't invest, then Lennon is at least as good as any other manager in Scotland, Walter excepted. Would Lennon win the title back next year? maybe yes - maybe not.
If the Board go for a manager with some profile then they will have to invest, a decent incoming manager would only be attracted if funds were made available.
There is no name that jumps out from the list that the bookies have, the prospective new manager is not there, though Avram Grant looks interesting. He is on a reported salary of £900k pa. I was impressed with how he organised the Israeli team, at least on a par with the Swiss manager Kobi Kuhn.  But you get the sense he is looking for something like a cushy well remunerated National team position, where he just works with available squad.
yep - thats about right.
If there are no obv candidates - or the board cannot afford to pay for one, then carry on with Lennon and Mjallby.
Avram grant - interesting one. Would he be able for the ridiculousness of the glasgow goldfish bowl and all the false accusations under the sun coming at him !
I presume some of the 'faithful' would not want him because he is an israeli and therefore suppose he is anti-pali !
I have an Israeli Celtic daft buddy - who tells me that most of the israelis are not anti-pali , they are more apathetic than anything else!
Id be interested in Grant. Wouldnt get excited by the prospect though.

Main Street

the colonel

Was at the game last night. That tackle by Brown got some cheer, as did Nacho Novo falling over like a twat. He got grief as soon as he came on. Looked a wee bit more comfortable last night that everyone who watched it on tv is suggesting. Would definately give the job to Lennon
the difference between success and failure is energy

Myles Na G.

'yep - Mogga was improving the side by getting rid of some of the dross and bringing in better players (the centre halves out compared to the quality of centre halves brought in demonstrates that- pity they were always inj since Jan, but we saw enough in the snippets they played to confirm this) - but yet an improvement still isnt good enough. More is required.
your stats would also indicate that strachan was better then MON - we know this is completely untrue, so your stats mean nothing.
the stat that matters is that its two league campaigns with no league victory against a poor rangers side.
Finally , in your brieft sojourn here, no one believes a word of what you say (write).
That consistency is admirable ! You can toddle off now and celebrate the league win with you pals !' LB

No, you see improving means making better. 'Mogga' did precisely the opposite. He stripped the side of experienced players and replaced some of them with untested kids. He demoralised the remainder of the squad by announcing that many of them weren't fit to wear the shirt. Then he expected them to play like Brazil. The result was chaos, as we saw. Which part of that do you think constitutes an improvement?  :D As for your comparison between WGS and MON. Both decent managers and both did a fine job for Celtic. I happen to think MON's time at Celtic is a bit overrated. He had plenty of money to spend and he inherited Larsson into the bargain. For all that, what did he do that WGS didn't on a much smaller budget? Took the Hoops to a European final, okay, but according to you, even poor sides (like Rangers) can do that!  ;D You really should stop posting now, because you're making my arguments for me. Keep taking your points.

red hander

'Took the Hoops to a European final, okay, but according to you, even poor sides (like Rangers) can do that!'

Yeah, where they were narrowly defeated (and some would say cheated out of it by a bunch of diving Portuguese cheats) by a team that went on to lift the Champions League the following year... a lot of people tend to forget that.  There's no comparison between the Celtic team that made the Uefa Cup final and the Huns first XI who did the same a few years later

saffron sam2

Quote from: Myles Na G. on May 05, 2010, 07:09:11 PM
Took the Hoops to a European final, okay, but according to you, even poor sides (like Rangers) can do that!

A Rangers side that won two of eleven European matches that season.

A Rangers side that failed to score in seven of those matches.

I'm with Lynchbhoy on that point.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

lynchbhoy

Quote from: saffron sam2 on May 05, 2010, 10:28:12 PM
Took the Hoops to a European final, okay, but according to you, even poor sides (like Rangers) can do that!
but now strachan is on a par with MON ....
::)
:D

illdecide

Lads i haven't commented too much on the Lennon issue here but i feel he should get the job for the following reasons:

1) Celtic do not have the money to appoint a top coach to Celtic Park and I'd assume the new manager would want money to spend which we don't have...so that rules out a top coach
2) Scottish football is going downhill so fast it's not even funny and it will only attract the likes of Lennon or washed up managers that can't get a job anywhere else.
3) Lennon has proved that he's a better manager than Mowbray and that the players will play for him...look at the difference in reaction he got from the players when he slated them compared to Mowbray when he done it
4) Lennon will not tolerate fancy dan players strolling around for a Sat/Sun kick about what they were getting away with under Mowbry
5) Lennon is intelligent and is a Celtic man, he has the makings of a good coach and if he is overlooked he may well take it ill and could wash his hands of Celtic (could be a big loss to us). I know people have said let him go and get his experience at a lower league team and then come back to us but that's not always the case and i believe he could adopt well to being thrown in at the deep end. He has played under top managers and has played at all levels which is vital experience, he is very well respected by his fellow professionals and for me he should be given his chance. I know it's a gamble but whats the worst can happen that hasn't already happened over the last two years...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

rossie mad

Have to agree with all the points from above.

Lennon has staked his claim very well both on and off the pitch over the last 10 weeks or so.
Bar the Ross County disaster they seem to believe in themselves as a unit in every game they play in.

This was only evident on occasion in mowbrays tenure.

One point i would make is keanes contribution during lennons time in charge.
Would lennon have 8 league victories on the bounce if robbie hadnt been there?

He scored vital goals against hibs and in other tight games to get the victory.

just wonder would others have

lynchbhoy

Good points.
If there is no money to spend on a top notch guy- then Lennon is the best Celtic could hope for.
Would still like to see the likes of Caesar Billy McNeill parachuted in to help with the manager admin tasks/purchasing etc
At least there are defenders there that a manager can build on. Still plenty to be done at midfield and up front.
Diomansy Kamara MUST be signed on a full time contract

the colonel

Willie McStay will be in the fold with Lennon after his return from Hungary. I would give Lennon the job, the players have all came out in support of Lennon and said that they would love him to stay. He even got Scott Brown to look like an actual footballer over the last number of weeks.
the difference between success and failure is energy

RogerMilla

Quote from: illdecide on May 06, 2010, 11:45:30 AM
whats the worst can happen that hasn't already happened over the last two years...

a rangers three-in-a-row ?

Myles Na G.

Quote from: lynchbhoy on May 06, 2010, 09:54:17 AM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on May 05, 2010, 10:28:12 PM
but now strachan is on a par with MON ....
'Mogga' was improving the side...