62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

stew

Quote from: Myles Na G. on May 04, 2010, 06:32:02 PM
Quote from: Main Street on May 04, 2010, 06:01:15 PM
QuoteReal football fans - that's football, not 'soccer', btw - would know that

You have a problem Myles with the word 'soccer' being used to describe association football?
That's weird.
Pretty much every kid in Ireland that attended a school with both sports, GAA and Soccer,  use the word 'soccer' as a term of description, to distinguish it from GAA football.

Though I do hear quite many  English people on the BBC radio, act condescendingly towards those ( eg North Americans) who use the term "soccer",  as  'football' is already understood to mean American Football.
Not true. The word 'soccer' may be widely used in rural areas. In urban areas, kids talk about 'football' and 'Gaelic' to distinguish between the two. In rural areas, Gaelic is what kids are brought up on and is no doubt the more popular sport. I don't have a problem with that. I do have a problem with people who are obviously steeped in GAA coming on like they're Alex Ferguson, when it's fairly obvious they know fcuk all squared about football. Or 'soccer' if it makes you happy.  :)

Just because people in here put football before soccer does not mean  that the are not knowledgeable about both codes. Gaelic FOOTBALL and soccer are not mutually exclusive, you can actually know a lot about both.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

AFS

Quote from: stew on May 04, 2010, 06:38:26 PM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on May 04, 2010, 06:32:02 PM
Quote from: Main Street on May 04, 2010, 06:01:15 PM
QuoteReal football fans - that's football, not 'soccer', btw - would know that

You have a problem Myles with the word 'soccer' being used to describe association football?
That's weird.
Pretty much every kid in Ireland that attended a school with both sports, GAA and Soccer,  use the word 'soccer' as a term of description, to distinguish it from GAA football.

Though I do hear quite many  English people on the BBC radio, act condescendingly towards those ( eg North Americans) who use the term "soccer",  as  'football' is already understood to mean American Football.
Not true. The word 'soccer' may be widely used in rural areas. In urban areas, kids talk about 'football' and 'Gaelic' to distinguish between the two. In rural areas, Gaelic is what kids are brought up on and is no doubt the more popular sport. I don't have a problem with that. I do have a problem with people who are obviously steeped in GAA coming on like they're Alex Ferguson, when it's fairly obvious they know fcuk all squared about football. Or 'soccer' if it makes you happy.  :)

Just because people in here put football before soccer does not mean  that the are not knowledgeable about both codes. Gaelic FOOTBALL and soccer are not mutually exclusive, you can actually know a lot about both.

Or little about both.

tyroneman

Not much in the way of tactics or good football from Celtic tonight. Lenny has restored some passion but little else by the looks of it.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

Feisty enough encounter and hopefully Lafferty gets a hidin.

Main Street

Quote from: tyroneman on May 04, 2010, 08:28:48 PM
Not much in the way of tactics or good football from Celtic tonight. Lenny has restored some passion but little else by the looks of it.
You might have missed the two goals,
the most important Celtic fact.
Looks a fired up game to me, hope Robbie doesn't get his legs broken out there.

ONeill

tyroneman

Quote.Quote from: tyroneman on Today at 08:28:48 PM
You might have missed the two goals,
the most important Celtic fact.
Looks a fired up game to me, hope Robbie doesn't get his legs broken out there.

Nope, saw all 3 goals. 1st an og. 2nd typical
Celtic defending. 3rd would never have been allowed by ref if the game had any bearing on the title. All I'm pointing out is that the football on show is dire. Lenny is a great Celtic man but way too inexperienced to get the job.

Main Street

It's a typical no quarter asked none given game.  The prettiness is in the scrap.
No such thing as a dead rubber old firm game.

Lenny and McCoist are being put through the wringer.

Main Street

Good last 8 minutes from Celtic.

longrunsthefox

Lennon has done everything but beg for the job permanent. would be a bad move by Celtic... they need a proven manager not an apprentice as happened there with Barnes and Brady and Staunton with the Republic.

Orior

Quote from: longrunsthefox on May 04, 2010, 10:28:37 PM
Lennon has done everything but beg for the job permanent. would be a bad move by Celtic... they need a proven manager not an apprentice as happened there with Barnes and Brady and Staunton with the Republic.

Yeah but no but yeah but no but yeah but no but wasnt the last guy a "proven" manager and results were shite.

Give Lennon a chance.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Main Street

Depends who the real alternatives for the job are.
He definitely has the players motivated. He has manically invested a lot of himself in getting the job and he would give his right arm to get it. Hard to judge him on the few games so far, but he has done better than could be expected and very solid where it mattered tonight.
The Ross County catastrophe could have been a leftover side effect.

Tonight was the first time I saw Fortune really fired up, Naylor reverting back to the good player he once was, Brown gave the ball away a lot, but he did well in the middle. Makeshift centre halves had a few wobbles but playing Wilson over Thompson was a gamble which paid off. Overall shape and balance was good, ball retention crap as could be expected in a frantic game.

It's another deal altogether for a manager to rebuild a team for next season and to have a decent run in Europe.

tyroneman

7 wins in a dead league means little. Celtic ballsed up the 1 big game they had to win, against opposition Celtic should be wiping the floor with. Now maybe Lennon could argue the players let him down with it but he was still the manager and has to take a certain degree of the blame.

The best thing fir him to do would be to drop to a lower league team and learn the ropes a la MON and maybe come back in 5-10 years. If he took over now and ended up 2nd or worse it could end his managerial career before it got going.

This is a massive job and will also entails getting rid of at least 7-8 of the current first team duds.I would have McGeady Brown and Boruc top of the list purely on prospective transfer fees v use to team. Artur is back on form but if we can get 8-10 mill he has to go as we have a ready replacement.

There is noone else in the first team squad bar maybe Lukas ( assuming Artur goes) worth keeping.

Hopefully this is the last season I will ever have to endure Samaras in the hoops too   

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Myles Na G. on May 04, 2010, 05:37:16 PM
'Celtic's' Man Mowbray had as good a season as he guy prior to him. Neither were good enough though. Lets hope Celtic appoint a decent man next time out ! - well us Celtc fans hope so, doubt if you share that sentiment !!

You were the one arguing that he was improving the team - right up until the time we got chinned by St Mirren.  :D And the difference between Mowbray and the guy prior to him was 3 league titles and 2 last 16 CL finishes. Real football fans - that's football, not 'soccer', btw - would know that. You, on the other hand, are a sports fan whose favourite sport is GAA. And it shows, believe me.
yep - Mogga was improving the side by getting rid of some of the dross and bringing in better players (the centre halves out compared to the quality of centre halves brought in demonstrates that- pity they were always inj since Jan, but we saw enough in the snippets they played to confirm this) - but yet an improvement still isnt good enough. More is required.
your stats would also indicate that strachan was better then MON - we know this is completely untrue, so your stats mean nothing.
the stat that matters is that its two league campaigns with no league victory against a poor rangers side.
Finally , in your brieft sojourn here, no one believes a word of what you say (write).
That consistency is admirable ! You can toddle off now and celebrate the league win with you pals !