?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Myles Na G.

Quote from: lynchbhoy on March 30, 2010, 10:05:57 AM
Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on March 30, 2010, 12:48:17 AM
I see the Strachan obsession from certain posters continues but still no admission they were very wrong on Mowbray :D. Lennon has been saying he has been taking advice from MON and Strachan so nice easy scapegoat on here if it doesnt go well for him....all down to WGS.
sacking a manager in the first year doesnt give them much of a chance.
Again should not be taking in the cheaper guys like Mowbray and strachan in the first place.
While mowbray might not be in alex fergusons league, if fergie got the chop when he deserved to many moons ago (in his first couple of seasons with man u) like the celtic board have done - then man u may well be in the div 2/championship by now - where they were headed at that stage - rather than continuing to chase CL's!

Mowbrays biggest fault was that he didnt cull the (strachans) deadwood earlier in his tenure and he paid for it.
Mowbray should never have been given the job in the first place - his record didn't merit it. He only got the job because he was available, he was relatively cheap, and he had a previous connection with Celtic. His biggest fault is that he is a poor manager. He thinks that if you have 6 attacking players on the field, it's somehow a 'positive'. A pub team manager could've told him that such an approach leads only to 4-0 defeats at the hands of a side which couldn't beat a 9 man Rangers team.

T Fearon

Agreed.It seems he was appointed as a "Celtic man" to appease the fans, and the fact that his predecessor was not a Celtic man seems to have been his main liability in the eyes of too many. You could have given Mowbray £200 million and he still wouldn't have put out asuccessful team.

The fact that he wasn't expecting the sack after the defeat to St Mirren shows that he hadn't got a grasp about what being manager of Celtic means and what is expected and what will not be tolerated. The fact that Lennon referred to a softness probably reflects what everyone inside the club felt, no passion, no drive.

Now we can't even get excited about St Johnstone beating Rangers 4-1 (first goal scored by Cilian Sheridan), as it is meaningless thanks to Mowbray >:(

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Tone nothings meaningless, unless mathematically impossible.  ;)
Myles, Mowbray cost us 2 million to buy out his WBA contract and God only knows what sacking him will cost the club! He's been far from cheap.
Tbc....

Archie Mitchell

Was Mowbray not on a rolling contract?

Mark Hughes interested in the job. Could be a decent appointment. Done alright at City in his short time there, sorted out a lot of stuff but was out of his depth and wasn't the new owners choice.

Main Street

The chances are good that he would be a decent appointment.

Denn Forever

Quote from: Main Street on March 30, 2010, 11:28:35 PM
The chances are good that he would be a decent appointment.

And hes a Celt.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Myles Na G. on March 30, 2010, 09:39:18 PM
Mowbray should never have been given the job in the first place - his record didn't merit it. He only got the job because he was available, he was relatively cheap, and he had a previous connection with Celtic. His biggest fault is that he is a poor manager. He thinks that if you have 6 attacking players on the field, it's somehow a 'positive'. A pub team manager could've told him that such an approach leads only to 4-0 defeats at the hands of a side which couldn't beat a 9 man Rangers team.
the bit in bold is in line with what I am saying - getting in bargain basement managers (even if they cost 2 million in compensation). Most other clubs try to line up a new manager for months before the existing one leaves - if the existing manager has the decency to warn the club - or not in this case last season.
so the Celtic appointment was hurried and the first couple of choices turned them down.
mowbray might have been a Celtic man, but the problem was that giving modern day players the hairdryer treatment doesnt work any more. they are too soft.He told them what exactly they were.
Roy keane having the same kind of bother at ipswich. That used to work, and worked for players when both of these men played. It is no longer the case.
Mark hughes also doesnt have enough exp imo. Though he has more exp than Lennon.

T Fearon

Well the hairdryer seems to work for Fergie still.

Realistically its not who Celtic want as manager but who is willing to take the job. Hughes will jump at the first English premiership job that comes his way, Lambert may or may not fancy moving to Glasgow at this stage, I can't see any of the European big hitters being interested, so it  looks like your left with Lennon Versus the likes of Lambert, and if Lennon proves himself between now and the end of the season he deserves at least a one year rolling contract.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: T Fearon on March 31, 2010, 12:00:10 PM
Well the hairdryer seems to work for Fergie still.

Realistically its not who Celtic want as manager but who is willing to take the job. Hughes will jump at the first English premiership job that comes his way, Lambert may or may not fancy moving to Glasgow at this stage, I can't see any of the European big hitters being interested, so it  looks like your left with Lennon Versus the likes of Lambert, and if Lennon proves himself between now and the end of the season he deserves at least a one year rolling contract.
I dont think fergie uses the hairdryer treatment any more...
obv I dont know for def, but it seems like he doesnt (well not for his own players) and he has learned not to and how to treat the modern day player.

as for Lennon - while I'd love to see him do well, for him and for Celtic - its a very long shot and with players getting back from inj, he has a strong squad to now at last pick from, but unless he gets serious help from MON in the summer, he hasnt the exp.

Other rumours abound that MON is unhappy at villa and that he could be in for a 'shock' return to Celtic. While I dont believe these bullsiht rumours, I would love them to be true.

T Fearon

if O'Neill's gripe is lack of finance at Villa you can be sure he will not be back at Celtic any time soon. His ambition is to compete and win Champions League so that will also rule him out. A move to a bigger EPL Club is what he's after and he's probably touting for a job at Anfield or Old Tafford even(if Man Ure fauil to overcome Bayern, Fergie's future may be the subject of speculation)

Realistically, a Hiddink type manager isn't required to win the SPL (Celtic's main and arguably only priority) so if Lennon steadies the ship, and particularly wins the Scottish Cup and final Old Firm game, then he deserves a crack at it next season, rather than gamble with someone like Mowbray again, the only realistic marketplace Celtic are currently in.

AFS

Quote from: lynchbhoy on March 31, 2010, 10:45:43 AM
Mark hughes also doesnt have enough exp imo.

After 5 years in international football and 6 in the Premier League?

Main Street

Quote from: lynchbhoy on March 31, 2010, 10:45:43 AM
Mark Hughes also doesnt have enough exp imo. Though he has more exp than Lennon.
I thought you gave up drink for lent ;D
You are talking about Mark Hughes manager for 10+ years
and saying in his favour that he has more experience than Lennon, who has 1 week at the helm ???

Hedley Lamarr

There's more chance of Celtic getting Dixie Robinson than Mark Hughes ;)
Hail Hail indeed.....more like Hail Mary :D
I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed:

Club Rossa

That might not be such a bad thing as Dixie is 'celtic minded' ;)

T Fearon

Dixie "proudly" waved the Union flag from the back of a lorry whilst celebrating Portadown's first ever Irish League title win way back in 1989, with his team mates