Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

omagh_gael

What's the story with Niall Mc Ginn these days? There has been very little mention of him after a bright start!

clarshack

Quote from: omagh_gael on March 27, 2010, 11:55:03 PM
What's the story with Niall Mc Ginn these days? There has been very little mention of him after a bright start!

he's been injured for a while.

Atticus_Finch

Quote from: Rav67 on March 27, 2010, 10:02:33 AM
When these caretaker appointments of an inexperienced (in managerial terms) assistant happen, people usually don't expect them to get it full-time, but if they have a decent run or the board can't get a stand-out candidate then they'll plump for the caretaker on a full-time basis, eg Chris Coleman, Chris Hughton, that fella at Reading, Stewart Houston years back.

Lennon is the favourite for that reason.  Celtic's win record is 17/30 this season I think - imagine Lennon wins 6 or more out of the last 8 league games, wins Scottish cup - he'll a better chance of getting it than anyone else.  Of course the poor run of results may continue, in which case the only managerial post Lennon is likely to get in the future is Darlington or someone of that calibre.

That's a fair enough point Rav,  if the board can't get a stand out candidate and Lennon has a decent close season putting a scottish cup under his belt he's worth a shot, either way it's a win-win situation for Lennon.
But I think the general Celtic fan has higher expectations than having Neil Lennon as the next incumbent at Paradise. But like you say if no stand out candidate presents himself then at the same time i think the celtic fans will give him a chance.
The thing with attracting a stand-out candidate is that from the 2010-2011 season Scotland loses one of the champions league places and the remaining place is not automatic (it comes about after 3 qualifying rounds) and i think that is likely to be in the back of the mind of any candidate considering the Celtic job.  One of the main attractions of Celtic job was that Champions League football was almost a given. i think the loss of that place will unfortunately put a few candidates off.
One of which i hope is not put off is Mick Mc Carthy.  He's been sniffing around Paradise in the past and I stilll think he'd consider it.  For many fans being 'Celtic-minded' is crucial and while he might not be as strong in that regard as Lennon he still definitely qualifies.
He'd shore up the Celtic defence, people might point to Wolves not having the best defensive record in the EPL but at the end of the day consider they opposition they're playing week in week out.
A lot of being in the window for a managers job has to do with whether you're flavour of the month.  look at Steve McClaren he got the England job after a decent UEFA cup run with Middlesborough.  Anyway my point is that McCarthy's stock is high at the minute after recent good results achieved by Wolves.
Try and tell me that IF (and i emphasise the word IF) Roy Keane was interested in the job at Paradise that McCarthy wouldn't take some personal satisfaction in getting the job over him.
I don't know whether McCarthy would take the job or even be approached for it but i don't think it is outlandish to suggest it is a possibility.
After him Lambert would be my next choice and i think he would also be capable of doing a good job, despite his protestations i think if he was offered it he wouldn't be able to turn it down.
Anyone that is suggesting Mark Hughes is living in cloud cuckoo land.
Anyone that is suggesting Steve Stauton, i would like to hear from you and like you to hear your argument on why he should be considered for the job.
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

Myles Na G.

Mick McCarthy is not going to give up taking his team to Old Trafford, Anfield, the Emirates, Stamford Bridge, etc etc, in exchange for visiting illustrious football hotspots like Falkirk, Inverness, etc. Nor is he going to take the pay cut that such a move would involve. Get real. The three candidates last time round were the manager of Swansea, the manager of Burnley and the manager of a team which had just been dumped out of the EPL. That's the level Celtic and Rangers are operating at these days. Fans who clamour for a big name appointment are living in the past.

Atticus_Finch

Quote from: Myles Na G. on March 28, 2010, 12:52:06 PM
Mick McCarthy is not going to give up taking his team to Old Trafford, Anfield, the Emirates, Stamford Bridge, etc etc, in exchange for visiting illustrious football hotspots like Falkirk, Inverness, etc. Nor is he going to take the pay cut that such a move would involve. Get real. The three candidates last time round were the manager of Swansea, the manager of Burnley and the manager of a team which had just been dumped out of the EPL. That's the level Celtic and Rangers are operating at these days. Fans who clamour for a big name appointment are living in the past.

Where did the candidate from Swansea end up ??

What about the candidate from Burnley ? Who is he managing now ??

Celtic are not light years away !

But like i've already said the loss of the Champions League spot is a big blow and will make Celtic a less attractive option.

Who are your candidates of choice this time around chief ?
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

Myles Na G.

Paul Lambert would be my first choice, but I don't think he'll be persuaded. He's heading for the Championship, which is an all round better competition than the SPL.

Rav67

AF- don't think anyone is actually suggesting Staunton apart from trolls trying to get a rise, no Eircom League would even want Staunton at the helm.

Looking at the gossip page on F365 there, one rumour was "The Celtic board have approached Nigel Pearson about succeeding Mowbray."  Christ.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Myles Na G. on March 28, 2010, 01:05:06 PM
Paul Lambert would be my first choice, but I don't think he'll be persuaded. He's heading for the Championship, which is an all round better competition than the SPL.
wrong on so may diff things
money always sells things to people
in a managers career - which club profile would help raise him more - norwich of Celtic, which is known globally ?
the 'championship' / eng div 2 has loads more money but still is the same standard as the spl - excluding Celtic and Rangers !

and lambert is still a few years off being ready to manage Celtic

T Fearon

I would be fairly certain that next year, it will be Lennon versus Mc Coist in the Rangers Celtic dugouts. Celtic will not gamble big money on another Mowbray like appointment and Mc Coist is being groomed to replace Walt.

Had to laugh at Mark Mc Ghee on Saturday. He says he was interested in Celtic job last year but it no longer appeals since Champions League is no longer guaranteed :D :D :D :D. Thats why he's content with Aberdeen :D

lynchbhoy

Quote from: T Fearon on March 29, 2010, 11:27:17 AM
I would be fairly certain that next year, it will be Lennon versus Mc Coist in the Rangers Celtic dugouts. Celtic will not gamble big money on another Mowbray like appointment and Mc Coist is being groomed to replace Walt.

Had to laugh at Mark Mc Ghee on Saturday. He says he was interested in Celtic job last year but it no longer appeals since Champions League is no longer guaranteed :D :D :D :D. Thats why he's content with Aberdeen :D
well Hopefully Lennon will be 'lucky' as a manager if he gets the job, he apparantly is getting a lot of 'coaching' over the phone from MON.
But if he falls flat on his face, the non-appointment of an experienced top notch manager could cost Celtic more in the long run- as three bargain basement men is not ideal to win leagues and compete successfully in CL  - where MON left the club.
I see Boro have now more or less failed in their season to get into the playoffs, its still mathematically possible but realistically not.
thats the level of manager we have been 'accepting' of this past 5 years.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Rav67 on March 28, 2010, 02:56:57 PM
AF- don't think anyone is actually suggesting Staunton apart from trolls trying to get a rise, no Eircom League would even want Staunton at the helm.

Looking at the gossip page on F365 there, one rumour was "The Celtic board have approached Nigel Pearson about succeeding Mowbray."  Christ.

Fixed that Rav67.  ;)
Tbc....

T Fearon

I see Boro have now more or less failed in their season to get into the playoffs, its still mathematically possible but realistically not.thats the level of manager we have been 'accepting' of this past 5 years.

That would be the only Celtic Manager that won three titles in a row and took us further in the European Cup/ Champions League since Jock Stein, and revitalised O'Neill's clapped out team that threw away a title on the last day of the season? I think Strachan can only be properly judged at Boro next season, and I still wouldn't rule out a play off place and indeed promotion this year just yet.

However at least he's not leading them to 4 nil defeats by Peterborough ;)

Hedley Lamarr

Quote from: T Fearon on March 29, 2010, 12:16:52 PM
I see Boro have now more or less failed in their season to get into the playoffs, its still mathematically possible but realistically not.thats the level of manager we have been 'accepting' of this past 5 years.

That would be the only Celtic Manager that won three titles in a row and took us further in the European Cup/ Champions League since Jock Stein, and revitalised O'Neill's clapped out team that threw away a title on the last day of the season? I think Strachan can only be properly judged at Boro next season, and I still wouldn't rule out a play off place and indeed promotion this year just yet.

I have to agree 100% with you there Tony.......words I never thought I'd utter or print! ;)
I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed:

lynchbhoy

Quote from: T Fearon on March 29, 2010, 12:16:52 PM

so you dont think then (unlike most Celtic and other soccer fans) that strachan was plain lucky in the draws he got for CL which allowed mediocre Celtic sides to fluke it into last 16 of CL?
If not , you obv think that he was a better manager thna MON and his Celtic sides were better than MON's ! (ok thats the first myth busted - and wont even have to go into how strachans Celtic sides took the biggest hammerings in europe since Stein).

so you want to judge strachans side after a full year of being in charge-thats a good bit hypocritical of you as you wouldnt apply the same standard or judgement criteria to Mowbray !

If MON's clapped out side were only caught (threw away) on th efinal day of the season and strachan 'revitalised' it
what does that say about strachans team that threw away a 9 point lead in the league and were well beaten by the end of last few games...what chance to revitalise that.
In strachans last 22 games he only won 11.
Mowbrays win percentage is 7% better at 57%.
A rubbish rangers side allowed strachan the luxury of looking good until walter smith (who failed first time around under pressure from MON) took over and put simple structures in place.
Strachan is being found out again at Boro where he took a team in playoff  place 5th position and has so far brought them to 8th (and dropping).
Again another myth busted Tony.
If you want to quote st mirren - I give you artmedia bratislavia !
:D

T Fearon

Lynchboy. Not wishing to get into an argument here, but Walter was never in charge of Rangers during O'Neill's time in Glasgow, except you are talking about head to heads between Everton and Leicester City (managed by Smith and O'Neill respectively). Strachan did outdo Mc Leish in his first season though, and he has shown at Birmingham that he is no slouch.

Strachan's teams held their own in three out of four CL meetings with Man Utd, and I think most people would credit him for getting out of the group in 2006/07. His away record was piss poor yet so was O'Neills in Europe, or in the CL at any rate.

Strachan has come in mid season at Middlesbro and he has them still in contention (unlike Mowbray who was there at the start of the season, brought in loads of players in the summer and in January) but was never in contention.

I think most people would agree that regardless of their respective shortcomings, Strachan was / is a much better manager than Mowbray, who I doubt will ever work again at any significant level