Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

T Fearon

Its almost 1pm and no Press Conference yet??

Burley etc predicted a baying mob outside Parkhead last night awaiting the team's return. Did this not happen?

illdecide

Quote from: T Fearon on March 25, 2010, 12:43:16 PM

Burley etc predicted a baying mob outside Parkhead last night awaiting the team's return. Did this not happen?

I keep checking the BBC web site too for a statement of some description...lol

Def has to go, he's lost the dressing room and the fans clearly don't want him judging by the crowds
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: illdecide on March 25, 2010, 12:57:51 PM

I keep checking the BBC web site too for a statement of some description...lol

Def has to go, he's lost the dressing room and the fans clearly don't want him judging by the crowds

You've hit the nail on the head, don't think he really ever had the dressing room or the confidence or respect of the players, and the fans are leaving in their droves (although everyone I speak to says he's a really really lovely fella, he's just not up to the job).
Celtic FC's bigggest looming problem now is attendances and season book sales - 30,000 last weekend!!!!!!!
They need to buy big or get a decent manager (going to be really difficult now with no guarenteed CL soccer next season), this might get the fans expectation going again and up season book/ticket sales.

Looks bleak for Tony though, anyone able to answer my question about what happens to his contract if he jumps rather then getting pushed?
Tbc....

clarshack

read on KDS that around 100 supporters turned up to voice their disgust at parkhead last night and that there was an altercation between paul mcgowan and a fan?

GalwayBayBoy

To be honest this season has shown Mowbray up (although you could argue that WBA's season in the Premier League did that also). You cannot come in and expect to play his brand of tippy tappy football with players who are not good enough to do it and expect to succeed in Scotland. In the SPL you have to win the physical battle first and then play your football. Something MON knew from day one. Half the pitches in the league resemble ploughed fields ffs.

T Fearon

GDA, Tony might be thorughly nice, decent etc, but he is not stupid. He is not going to walk of his own volition and miss a big pay out

illdecide

GDA if he walks then it is he who breaks the contract and therefore gets nowt but there's not a man alive today would do that. He's contracted for another 3 years (i think) and i believe by walking out he'd be throwing prob about 1 million away. Thats why he doesn't wanna discuss his future. However, Celtic may well have something in his contract that suggests that if he's not performing what he was employed to do then he can be sacked for not fulfilling his employment duties and that would get him nowt too (but that would be a rare case)

Doogie Browser

T Fearon

No confirmation on BBC Scotland or Celtic website? This is the Sun, hardly reliable

tyroneboi

On Sky Sports News now.

They are saying the players have been informed and that Neil Lennon is to take charge until further notice.

OverTheBlackSpot

Quote from: tyroneboi on March 25, 2010, 02:55:08 PM
On Sky Sports News now.

They are saying the players have been informed and that Neil Lennon is to take charge until further notice.

Whats Neil Lennon going to do with that pile of shite ?

NAG1

illdecide

Celtic have parted company with manager Tony Mowbray following Wednesday's 4-0 defeat at St Mirren.

Mowbray won 17 of the 30 league games played since he arrived from West Brom last June and struggled in Europe.

And the Glasgow club trail Scottish Premier League leaders Rangers by 10 points, having played two more matches than their Old Firm rivals.

A former Celtic defender between 1991 and 1995, he failed to make an impact after succeeding Gordon Strachan.

Assistant manager Mark Venus and first team coach Peter Grant are also leaving.

Mowbray became the 16th manager of Celtic after the club agreed to pay £2m in compensation to West Brom.

The affable figure had been one of three managers targeted, along with Burnley's Owen Coyle, now at Bolton, and Swansea's Roberto Martinez, now at Wigan.

On his arrival, he said he lived by a code of "honesty, integrity, humility and respect" and he hoped to bring those qualities to the Celtic team.

However, his reign was not a happy one, beginning with elimination from the Champions League, albeit against a slick Arsenal side, who have progressed with ease to the last eight of the tournament.

MY SPORT: DEBATE
Give your reaction to Mowbray's departure 
Dropping into the Europa League, Celtic were expected to qualify from a group that included Hamburg, Rapid Vienna and Hapoel Tel-Aviv, but they could only muster six points from six games, with just one win.

The domestic season started brightly and Celtic were four points ahead of Rangers going into the first Old Firm derby of the season on 4 October, but they lost 2-1 at Ibrox.

And away matches proved to be Mowbray Achilles heel, with Wednesday's 4-0 drubbing by St Mirren heralding Celtic's sixth league defeat on the road.

Strachan had won three titles in four seasons at Celtic Park but Mowbray quickly set about dismantling the squad he inherited, bringing in a raft of new faces.

The big money loan arrival of Spurs striker Robbie Keane in January briefly lifted spirits among supporters but Celtic could not make inroads into Rangers' lead.

Mowbray had a long career at Middlesbrough before his switch to Celtic and later moved on to Ipswich, where he started his coaching career.

He had a brief spell as caretaker boss at Portman Road after the sacking of former Scotland boss George Burley before becoming a manager in his own right at Hibernian.

Mowbray led the Edinburgh club to two top-four finishes in 2005 and 2006, after which he left for West Brom.

He led the Baggies to the Championship play-offs, losing to Derby, but the following season they won the title and promotion to the Premier League.

However, they only lasted a season in England's top tier and were relegated, despite receiving plaudits for their attacking style of football.

His summer switch to Celtic Park was greeted with widespread enthusiasm among the Celtic faithful but few of those will lament his departure

T Fearon

I'm surprised he wasn't gone last night. Didn't Barnes go immediately after the Inverness defeat? Time needs to be taken to identify a long term  candidate, but I feel Lennon and Mc Grain should be able to ensure a Scottish Cup win