Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Main Street

Mowbray did not come cheap once you consider the compensation paid to West Brom.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Main Street on March 16, 2010, 02:04:35 PM
Mowbray did not come cheap once you consider the compensation paid to West Brom.
yes - thats exactly what I mean - its a false economy.
Buying cheap still ends up costing you as much in the long run.

OverTheBlackSpot

Quote from: Main Street on March 16, 2010, 02:04:35 PM

And then the compensation paid to Mowbary !

under the bar

Quoteyes - thats exactly what I mean - its a false economy.
Buying cheap still ends up costing you as much in the long run.

Buy dear and you only cry once..... etc.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Celtic are to unvail a statue to the great Jock Stein, to comemorate the 25th anniversary of his tragic death.
Long over due.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/8573089.stm
Tbc....

T Fearon

While I'm all for Big Jock being honoured, as he is arguably the most significant figure in Celtic's long history, I am concerned at this point about a plethora of statues at the entrance to Paradise. We already have Brother Walfrid and Jinky. I fear a procession of statues all at the same location will detract from the tribute to these great men. Even if they were at difference locations, in or outside the stadium, it might be better.

There is bound to be more too. Billy Mc Neill for example

Doogie Browser

Quote from: T Fearon on March 18, 2010, 03:39:16 PM
While I'm all for Big Jock being honoured, as he is arguably the most significant figure in Celtic's long history, I am concerned at this point about a plethora of statues at the entrance to Paradise. We already have Brother Walfrid and Jinky. I fear a procession of statues all at the same location will detract from the tribute to these great men. Even if they were at difference locations, in or outside the stadium, it might be better.

There is bound to be more too. Billy Mc Neill for example

Jees Tony, catch a grip man.  They are honouring the most successful manager in their history, are you worried you will not get past these statues? 
Relax.

T Fearon

Doogie, just saying that statues all over the place, in the same location, might detract from the deserved tributes intended. Anfield has Shankley alone, Elland Road, Bremner, Portman Road, Bobby Robson etc. Granted legoland (ie Old Trafford) has Busby perched on a height, with Charlton, Law and Best altogther, celebrating on the ground below.

Also you will inevitably get cases being made for other legends (and those not quite of legendary status)  to have statues. No doubt someone somewhere thinks the likes of Martin Hayes and Ian Andrews should have statues erected to them at Celtic Park.

Too many and it will become frivilous.. in my opinion.

Doogie Browser

Fair enough I know you have no issue with Jock anyway, I just think it is a fitting tribute.  I have never been but I think those Manc Yanks have quite a few statues in and around their ground too and doesn't seem to cause any trouble.  Paul Byrne will be next  :P  That Old Firm rocket alone deserves one!

T Fearon

Think the main problem is that Celtic have so many legends, its going to be impossible to do justice to them all.

Doogie Browser

Quote from: T Fearon on March 18, 2010, 04:51:56 PM
Think the main problem is that Celtic have so many legends, its going to be impossible to do justice to them all.
Celtic fans treat their ex-players with greater respect than a lot of clubs too.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Another good win needed today, Brown still suspended, Artur back after compassionate leave, Maloney, McCourt, Hooiveld and Loovens all back in training, I'd forgotten all about Maloney and Hooiveld!  :D

Hail Hail
Tbc....

ardal

Surely if you're happy supporting the SPL with regards to football skill etc, you should really support your local Irish team, or that which'd make you feel happier supporting for those up north. Cliftonville, Derry City, Dundalk, Finn Harps, St.Patricks etc. And when you refer to "Paradise", is that the same as in the song which includes the line "uoohhhh ahhhh up the ra"?

T Fearon

We support Celtic, who just happen to be in the SPL, a league that once  was as good as any in Europe but has been allowed to go to the dogs due to the inequitable distribution of finance in modern football.

town lad

Quote from: T Fearon on March 20, 2010, 10:26:26 PM
We support Celtic, who just happen to be in the SPL, a league that once  was as good as any in Europe but has been allowed to go to the dogs due to the inequitable distribution of finance in modern football.
A load of rubbish apart from bigots who cares about the SPL.